USC vs. Maryland (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigboikhoa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm really grateful I even have the opportunity to choose between two schools, but I'm having some trouble trying to decide. I know that im probbaly going to be chewed out for even considering USC, but having to actually make the decision is a lot harder now when it's in front of me. Family is a huge part of my life and I would love to have them around for emotional support. Also, i am very interested in applying for the 3 year HPSP scholarship, so I will be looking into this soon. Sidenote, I am waitlisted for UCLA, which I will 100 percent attend if accepted.

USC Pros:
-Beautiful campus
-Had an amazing interview day
-Good production of general dentists
-Vast patient pool
-Close to home (45 min no traffic), family, friends, and girlfriend
-Awesome things to do off campus and good food places
-My college roommate is attending

Cons:
-Expensive as hell
-PBL (i kinda have mixed feelings about this)

Maryland Pros:
-Way more affordable
-Students seemed to be happy, and the dental building was great
-A ton of research opportunities

Cons:
-Did not like Baltimore too much
-It seemed like the campus life was kind of boring
-Cold, but ill deal with it
-lots of crime in this area
-really far from family

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you live at home then would USC be cheaper (since no room and board) compared to Maryland? Or is living at home not something you're willing to do?

Maryland. Do you want to be poor for the rest of your life? Surprised USC doesn’t get as much heat as NYU does.

Reactions: 1 user
If you live at home then would USC be cheaper (since no room and board) compared to Maryland? Or is living at home not something you're willing to do?
My brother is getting married this year and going to be moving to pasadena. I asked him if it was okay to live with him and he said yeah. I would be living there during the week and driving home during the weekends, so yes i would be willing to commute.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maryland. Do you want to be poor for the rest of your life? Surprised USC doesn’t get as much heat as NYU does.
I get 100 percent what youre saying i think the school is way too overpriced. But even considering a 3-year hpsp scholarship, and possible commuting from my brothers house, you don't think its worth it? I have about 5 years of military youth program experience that I did in high school, so I think I would be a very competitive candidate for the scholarship. Also, my stats are pretty good (imo). I really hope ucla gets me off the waitlist so i dont have to choose lmao.

My brother is getting married this year and going to be moving to pasadena. I asked him if it was okay to live with him and he said yeah. I would be living there during the week and driving home during the weekends, so yes i would be willing to commute.
Okay so if you commute then USC would run you about 400k. How much would Maryland cost you (tuition + room and board)?

I get 100 percent what youre saying i think the school is way too overpriced. But even considering a 3-year hpsp scholarship, and possible commuting from my brothers house, you don't think its worth it? I have about 5 years of military youth program experience that I did in high school, so I think I would be a very competitive candidate for the scholarship. Also, my stats are pretty good (imo). I really hope ucla gets me off the waitlist so i dont have to choose lmao.

Do you know what the difference in cost will be when you graduate?

I hope you get into UCLA too

Okay so if you commute then USC would run you about 400k. How much would Maryland cost you (tuition + room and board)?
So based on the paperwork they gave me when i came for the interview, it said that resident COA is 91,334 per year, while Non resident is 128,449. And you can apply for in state tuition after the first year. But im still confused because on the next slide, they say that average load debt for the 2018 class was $235,313. I think the financial advisor was saying that the COA was budgeting for more than you actually needed.

Okay so COA is about the same for both schools (if you live at home for USC). I'll start off by saying that I know nothing about Maryland as a school, so my opinion is solely off your pros and cons. I'd personally go with USC (so long as your bro is truly chill with you moving in with them) because it seems like you really have your life set up here and having family nearby can make a big difference. Since the price would be the same, it looks like you'd be happier in LA. I have a ton of friends at USC dental and they're going out and partying practically every weekend and they're having a great time (workload is chill if your just trying to become a general dentist). After adding your fam, gf, weather, and everything else, I'd personally pick USC in your situation :)

Reactions: 1 user
Do not underestimate the traffic in dtla..
And SDNers will always say go to cheaper school.

Reactions: 1 users
I am in the same situation you our. Ive been accepted to USC and Maryland and trying to decide where to go.

What school did you decide to attend? What has your experience been in the school that you choose?

I am in the same situation you our. Ive been accepted to USC and Maryland and trying to decide where to go.

What school did you decide to attend? What has your experience been in the school that you choose?
Hey! I got off the waitlist to UCLA so I am currently a D3. Looking back now, USC would have been a very foolish decision. I am already stressed with the amount I owe from UCLA. but it is already half of what I would owe if I went to USC. Hindsight bias tells me to choose the cheapest school.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey! I got off the waitlist to UCLA so I am currently a D3. Looking back now, USC would have been a very foolish decision. I am already stressed with the amount I owe from UCLA. but it is already half of what I would owe if I went to USC. Hindsight bias tells me to choose the cheapest school.

Congratulations!!! UCLA is a great school. I ended up choosing Maryland in the end. Ill be able to get instate tuition prices after the 1st year.

Reactions: 1 users