USC or UCSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ozoneman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My wife and I are in a position that I am sure others on this site would be envious of. She was accepted to both USC, and UCSD. They were the only two schools she applied to. She was almost sure that she would not be accepted to UCSD, and was accepted to USC about 2 weeks before UCSD. In that time, she and I built up USC, and basically we were telling ourselves that it did not matter about UCSD.

I never thought good news could be so bad. So now we have to choose.

Everyone knows this:

USC = old, established (network), ghetto, costly
UCSD = new, not established (no network), very nice location, cheap (sort'a)

We all know the rankings.

First of all, we have a young daughter that will be starting school next year. Logically speaking, UCSD is obvious to me (due to our daughter). However, My wife can not get over the fact that USC is higher ranked (more prestigious), and has the Trojan network (better job prospects afterward). She feels that USC has better reputation around the world, and UCSD's reputation is more California based. I try to point out that UCSD medical school is well regarded, and you share many classes. UCSD's ranking will have to move up with time. I think UCSD is at a bit of a disadvantage in the ranking since they only graduated 3 classes when the latest USnews ranking was made several years ago.

It boils down to this: In 10 years, it will not matter that she went to a school in a very nice place (or the ghetto). Who would give the better education, and lets be honest... get the better job.

Question 1: is USC better, and if it is: would you consider that difference enough to justify going there over UCSD?

Question 2: I read that USC's P1 students start off at 8am, and are finished with school around noon... what would UCSD students P1 day be like?

Thank you,

Members don't see this ad.

Based on what I've heard, USC does a great job preparing its students for retail pharmacy. So, if that's the future route you are considering, USC should have more weights in your consideration.

However, given the uncertainties of future pharmacy outlook, it may be wise to choose a public school for its lower tuition costs. There are students who graduated from USC with over $200,000 in debt, though I am not sure if they are part of the norm or the exception.

I had put in that my wife's interest is in clinical pharmacy, but had removed it in proofing it. I planned on adding it back in, but forgot.

It looks like I somehow got this in the wrong group. Could an admin move it?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Based on what I've heard, USC does a great job preparing its students for retail pharmacy. So, if that's the future route you are considering, USC should have more weights in your consideration.

That's only half the story. USC does a great job preparing students for both retail and clinical. After all, it's USC who invented PharmD.

Reactions: 1 user
That being said, choose the school with lower tuition and fees. Both USC and UCSD are quality.

LOL

USC was one of the first 5 schools to have PharmD and they were among the first group of schools to push for "clinical" pharmacy...

:laugh:

LOL

USC was one of the first 5 schools to have PharmD and they were among the first group of schools to push for "clinical" pharmacy...

:laugh:

mmmm.... USC was the first school to offer and grant PharmD. In the 50's actually.

mmmm.... USC was the first school to offer and grant PharmD. In the 50's actually.

Yes, I was agreeing with you Z.... my prof was just talking about that today. He graduated from USC back in the day and worked with IHS for a long time and was part of the initial movement for "clinical pharmacy practitioners" before retiring to come teach at the U.

EDIT: I was just laughing at the notion that USC "prepares students for retail"

Strange thing is that because we can live on campus, not only can we pay less in tuition, but the cost of living is lower in a better area. The amount of time saved travelling is worth something. not only is $40k+ (over 4 years) of additional loans... but with interest that boils down to $57K over 8 years.

Strange thing is that because we can live on campus, not only can we pay less in tuition, but the cost of living is lower in a better area. The amount of time saved travelling is worth something. not only is $40k+ (over 4 years) of additional loans... but with interest that boils down to $57K over 8 years.

Pick the cheaper school.

Yes, USC is not a retail-only school. I go to USC and at least 50% (probably more) of my classmates applied for residencies. SC is a great school and I have no regrets going there. But I would probably recommend UCSD just because of the tuition. You should avoid the $200,000+ gorilla in debt if you have the choice. :)

What's so strange about it. UCSD is a public school and USC is a private school.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's so strange about it. UCSD is a public school and USC is a private school.

La Jolla is one of the most costly places to live. I was talking only about the cost of living in that sentence.

Like Lea said, go to the cheaper school. Both are great institutions and will provide a quality education. If you are absolutely, positively sure you really want to do a PGY residency then consider USC with more weight, because they've been around longer they'll almost certainly have a stronger network (And after all, the TROJAN NETWORK!) with which to hook you up.

But, even then... Less debt = better chances at overall happiness.

First of all, we have a young daughter that will be starting school next year. Logically speaking, UCSD is obvious to me (due to our daughter).

i also think you shouldn't lose sight of your daughter's part in this decision as well. I believe that both UCSD and USC are great pharmacy schools and that either choice would be good for your wife. BUT, you should definitely consider that the cheaper tuition associated with going to a public school would be easier on your family. ALSO, the public schools K-12 in san diego are MUCH better compared to LA where (from what I have heard) private schools for your daughter would be a much better route.

just something else to think about

i also think you shouldn't lose sight of your daughter's part in this decision as well. I believe that both UCSD and USC are great pharmacy schools and that either choice would be good for your wife. BUT, you should definitely consider that the cheaper tuition associated with going to a public school would be easier on your family. ALSO, the public schools K-12 in san diego are MUCH better compared to LA where (from what I have heard) private schools for your daughter would be a much better route.

just something else to think about

Doyle Elementary (the school that covers UCSD) has a 9 out of 10 rating... That much better than the best school anywhere near our house now. In LA, the only public schools would be an option in south Pasadena, or north Glendale. That would be about 30 min commute every day. If you add in traffic, it could be a bit more. The Glendale option would be a bit more distant, but there are more options for housing. The Glendale freeway is always empty. Pasadena freeway is always packed, but my wife would have an option to ride the new Metro. South Pasadena does not have a lot of options for renters.

thank you by the way.

Last edited:
UCSD seems like it would be the better choice for you guys. La Jolla is a nicer area to raise a family (imo), and USC charges an arm and a leg. You will do fine for residencies in both schools. UCSD has records of where all there grads went after graduating the program and the general trend is that around 50% of UCSD grads go on to do residencies.

So you can more effectively compare how your expenses will play out in the future, I would also advise using this site:
http://www.finaid.org/calculators/loanpayments.phtml

It's definitely a big decision. Congrats to your wife on being accepted to both schools, and good luck with your decision.:thumbup:

Last edited:
UCSD seems like it would be the better choice for you guys. La Jolla is a nicer area to raise a family (imo), and USC charges an arm and a leg. You will do fine for residencies in both schools. UCSD has records of where all there grads went after graduating the program and the general trend is that around 50% of UCSD grads go on to do residencies.

So you can more effectively compare how your expenses will play out in the future, I would also advise using this site:
http://www.finaid.org/calculators/loanpayments.phtml

It's definitely a big decision. Congrats to your wife on being accepted to both schools, and good luck to whatever you guys decide.:thumbup:

I work in the IT department of ACS, and we process loans for the DOE Direct Loans program... I'm sure there is more than a few people here that think that is a dirty word, and no... I can not make your loan disappear. ;)

Needless to say I know how the loans work, and I have some experts to ask if I need to.

thanks again everyone.

So to riderate, USC is not better than UCSD...

and is there any curent students of UCSD that can outline a normal day?

Pick the cheaper school.

It used to be way cheaper about 3 years ago when the UC's charged only up to about 15k per year. However, the tuition is now up to 30k per year. :( And UCSD does not have a lot of scholarship opportunities compared to USC. I am actually waiting for the revised cost of attendance info for UCSD before I make a very final decision. It should be up soon.

whoops hahaha I had a similar thread and I thought this was mine. Sorry :p

PS: You're right- it was great to be accepted to 1 school, but while it's also great to be accepted at another- the decision-making process is just very very hard.

If I had known what I have known now finishing the second quarter of the secon year and I was in your position, no doubt - would be UCSD for me. Why ? Because pass/fail system to me means having a normal quality of life vs. the GPA system translating to living in perpetual survival mode, anxious and worrying about every grade and passing all 8-9 of your classes .

Basically you come in your first year and you are happy idealistic and eager to learn - if you were a science major and completed your BS - you just cruise right through the first year.

Then as second year comes around, all hell breaks loose.Everyone is overly involved with ECs and drowning in school work. People in my class are depressed, have a line of medical problems due to constant sleep deprivation/poor nutrirition, relationships have broken up, people gained quite a hefty amount of weight - basically school has taken a toll on all of us.

Go to a school that will let you live a more normal life rather turning this into another competitive undergrad experience only a notch higher at the doctorate level. As you'll let older you'll apreciate little things like being able to exercise regularly and sleep 7 hours a day on a regular basis.

Damn, chebs... didn't know it was that bad up there. Keep your head up.

I just had a couple of hell weeks myself. I just finished my assignments that I have to turn in tomorrow and I will be getting about4 hours of sleep before I head to Infectious Disease lecture, IPPE discussion group, Patient Assessment where I have to make a presentation, and then meet with my adviser about my portfolio. My adviser is also my PI which is a good thing. After that I have to speed home, pack my ****, and drive to Phoenix for the weekend so I can work 20 hours. What a load of crap, man. Spring Break... heh... what spring break? I will be studying for my upcoming exams!!!!!!!!!!

If I had known what I have known now finishing the second quarter of the secon year and I was in your position, no doubt - would be UCSD for me. Why ? Because pass/fail system to me means having a normal quality of life vs. the GPA system translating to living in perpetual survival mode, anxious and worrying about every grade and passing all 8-9 of your classes .

Basically you come in your first year and you are happy idealistic and eager to learn - if you were a science major and completed your BS - you just cruise right through the first year.

Then as second year comes around, all hell breaks loose.Everyone is overly involved with ECs and drowning in school work. People in my class are depressed, have a line of medical problems due to constant sleep deprivation/poor nutrirition, relationships have broken up, people gained quite a hefty amount of weight - basically school has taken a toll on all of us.

Go to a school that will let you live a more normal life rather turning this into another competitive undergrad experience only a notch higher at the doctorate level. As you'll let older you'll apreciate little things like being able to exercise regularly and sleep 7 hours a day on a regular basis.

Wow. Thanks so much for your insight. I had no idea that professional school would be so stressful. I was so naive! I thought that grad school would be much less stressful than undergrad since everyone had already gotten in and there wouldn't be as much competition. I guess I was wrong...

Doyle Elementary (the school that covers UCSD) has a 9 out of 10 rating... That much better than the best school anywhere near our house now. In LA, the only public schools would be an option in south Pasadena, or north Glendale. That would be about 30 min commute every day. If you add in traffic, it could be a bit more. The Glendale option would be a bit more distant, but there are more options for housing. The Glendale freeway is always empty. Pasadena freeway is always packed, but my wife would have an option to ride the new Metro. South Pasadena does not have a lot of options for renters.

thank you by the way.

As for schools/costs go, I'm in a 3B/1.5 bath paying $1575/mo. I live 1 block from a park, 2 blocks from the store/restaurant/movie theater. My daughter is in a combined 1st/2nd grade class and I commute about 20 minutes to school each day from Alhambra (just south of South Pasadena.) Not sure how that compares to your experience or expectations.
As for schedule, P1s do start at 8am, but P2s start at 1pm and P3s start at 9 am. End time is determined by whether you have rotations, ECs (can't really network without some ECs). Sorry I can't speak about UCSDs schedule.

I would go to the place with the least expenses just the same, I just wouldn't automatically assume that
1 USC is ghetto (the school itself may bein the ghetto, but unless you're living at the school it doesn't make much difference)
2 that UCSD would be cheaper depending on COA/COL

:eek: Now you tell us.

hiii,
I have been to many pharmacy school meetings from different schools and ranking wise UCSD is a better school than USC. In fact UCSD is the 2nd best school in california after UCSF. you might not find this info online because this school is very new and the info online are not updated yet!
USC is my first choice mainly because I wanna stay in LA, unless I would def go to ucsd, which is cheaper and I loveeee the school and faculty.
Plzzz decide asap, there are still alot of ppl who are on the waitlist and its really not fair to them ( just imagine if you were in their position now)
thanks

hiii,
I have been to many pharmacy school meetings from different schools and ranking wise UCSD is a better school than USC. In fact UCSD is the 2nd best school in california after UCSF. you might not find this info online because this school is very new and the info online are not updated yet!
USC is my first choice mainly because I wanna stay in LA, unless I would def go to ucsd, which is cheaper and I loveeee the school and faculty.
Plzzz decide asap, there are still alot of ppl who are on the waitlist and its really not fair to them ( just imagine if you were in their position now)
thanks

And how did you go about making this bold statement?

Thank you. Particularly, your insight is very useful. As the husband of a future Pharmacy student, the last thing that I would want is to place stress on my relationship with my wife.

gena01.jpg

Gena thanks you. He says, he hope it will not rain on your birthday... whatever that means. :cool: (you have to know 70s Russian cartoons to understand the joke)

Last edited:
hiii,
thanks

While I agree that UCSD will most likely move up the ranking scale in the next list that usnews makes... Until that time, something quantitative would be nice. What makes you think it is second in California?

It has a better medical school than USC...

I was actually in the same position last year. In the end I left it up to chance and flipped a coin. I now go to UCSD...and I love it here.

I went to UCSD for undergrad, so I already know the area. It's great living by the beach and it's nice to be able to take a breather go watch the ocean every once in a while. Because of your family situation, I think you would be able to easily get housing (it's a 2 yr contract) and I think it's really cheap in comparison to any housing you'd get off-campus either in La Jolla or LA. Since I'm just by myself, it's $453 for my own room in a 2bd apartment on campus (rent varies from apartment to apartment though).

I think the thing I love most about UCSD is actually the people and faculty here. Since it's a small class, you get to know most people pretty well. Also, the administration and faculty at least know your face and probably your name too (especially administration).

The negative is the networking, like you said. I really don't know how great a benefit the USC networking really is, but if it's really as good as it sounds, it may be worth it. With this economy, I think it's really hard to just find internships right now, and that's the main thing stressing me out. The benfit is that the class size is only 60, so I'm only competing against 60 people in the San Diego area for an internship, whereas in LA I'd be competing against ~200 from USC, plus the other LA schools (Western & Loma Linda). I definitely can't say how the situation is in LA since I'm not there, but maybe someone else can comment on this.

As for classload, the P1 schedule is actually more time-consuming at UCSD than USC if USC is 8-12 everyday. At UCSD it changes from day to day, but we're usually in class starting at 8 or 9 and ending at 12 for half the week, then 9-5 for a couple of days. Next quarter is 8 or 9am to 3pm for 4days/week, & one day is 8-12. I think the courses might be a bit more difficult here too, but I can't say for sure. It's definitely stressful and lots of people in my class feel overwhelmed in comparison to undergrad, but personally I'm not dying of anxiety and I actually think I'm less stressed than I was in undergrad. I think the P/F definitely helps with that, and also my general attitude about putting my health first these days.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I really love the atmosphere here in UCSD because the people are very laid back and we're not competitive. I love the small class size and the people I've met here. This is the type of atmosphere I do well in. The classes are tough and the networking is a little sparse, but I think the faculty really want you to do well and take care of you. :) Hope this helped!

Last edited:
I was actually in the same position last year. In the end I left it up to chance and flipped a coin. I now go to UCSD...and I love it here.

I went to UCSD for undergrad, so I already know the area. It's great living by the beach and it's nice to be able to take a breather go watch the ocean every once in a while. Because of your family situation, I think you would be able to easily get housing (it's a 2 yr contract) and I think it's really cheap in comparison to any housing you'd get off-campus either in La Jolla or LA. Since I'm just by myself, it's $453 for my own room in a 2bd apartment on campus (rent varies from apartment to apartment though).

I think the thing I love most about UCSD are actually the people and faculty here. Since it's a small class, you get to know most people pretty well. Also, the administration and faculty at least know your face and probably your name too (especially administration).

The negative is the networking, like you said. I really don't know how great a benefit the USC networking really is, but if it's really as good as it sounds, it may be worth it. With this economy, I think it's really hard to just find internships right now, and that's the main thing stressing me out. The benfit is that the class size is only 60, so I'm only competing against 60 people in the San Diego area for an internship, whereas in LA I'd be competing against ~200 from USC, plus the other LA schools (Western & Loma Linda). I definitely can't say how the situation is in LA since I'm not there, but maybe someone else can comment on this.

As for classload, the P1 schedule is actually more time-consuming at UCSD than USC if USC is 8-12 everyday. At UCSD it changes from day to day, but we're usually in class starting at 8 or 9 and ending at 12 for half the week, then 9-5 for a couple of days. Next quarter is 8 or 9am to 3pm for 4days/week, & one day is 8-12. I think the courses might be a bit more difficult here too, but I can't say for sure. It's definitely stressful and lots of people in my class feel overwhelmed in comparison to undergrad, but personally I'm not dying of anxiety and I actually think I'm less stressed than I was in undergrad. I think the P/F definitely helps with that, and also my general attitude about putting my health first these days.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I really love the atmosphere here in UCSD because the people are very laid back and we're not competitive. I love the small class size and the people I've met here. This is the type of atmosphere I do well in. The classes are tough and the networking is a little sparse, but I think the faculty really want you to do well and take care of you. :) Hope this helped!
Hi Pharm4peace,

Thank you for sharing your insider's thoughts. Greatly appreciate it. I am wondering how competitive it is to get on-campus housing. When did you have to apply? And what was the process? Thanks again!

Hi Pharm4peace,

Thank you for sharing your insider's thoughts. Greatly appreciate it. I am wondering how competitive it is to get on-campus housing. When did you have to apply? And what was the process? Thanks again!

I think I can take this one. I have done a lot of research on this, and anyone is welcome to chime-in to correct me. Most of my research is with dependants at the mesa complex. If you have a dependant... the wait is short, if there is one at all (weeks-months). If you do not have one, the wait can be long (months-years).

There is more options for people without little ones... I do not know much about it.

Thanks, Ozoneman! So I guess single students would have a better luck with off-campus housing than on-campus, at least for the first year. But I am still hoping I can live on campus since it's more affordable. A student volunteer (P1) at my interview session mentioned she was living on-campus and she really liked it. :)

Thanks, Ozoneman! So I guess single students would have a better luck with off-campus housing than on-campus, at least for the first year. But I am still hoping I can live on campus since it's more affordable. A student volunteer (P1) at my interview session mentioned she was living on-campus and she really liked it. :)
you have more options. I cannot say much about the other places... and what the options are since a dorm is not an option for a family of 3. I understand there are some places that have ocean views near the beach, and there is a new unit that was just built next to the new pharmacy building. The mesa complex is more roomy, and you can be a roommate for someone that is already living in a unit.

Many thanks to pharm4peace for being the first UCSD student to post... very good information.

Nice! I will look more into the alternatives. And I am just browsing the UCSD housing website for professional students:

http://hds.ucsd.edu/arch/gradhousing.html

BTW, Congrats to your wife who got accepted to both schools. Does she have a better idea which one she is picking yet? Good Luck to her and your family! :)

As a UCSD undergrad, I fully envy the housing options given to UCSD graduate/professional students.

I know graduate students that pay something like 450 a month for single bedrooms, something that's really unheard of in La Jolla. Off campus, my apartment is paying 1650 total for a 2bedroom +den that we converted into a bedroom with curtains and cardboard. I pay 350 to live in the den.

Nice! I will look more into the alternatives. And I am just browsing the UCSD housing website for professional students:

http://hds.ucsd.edu/arch/gradhousing.html

BTW, Congrats to your wife who got accepted to both schools. Does she have a better idea which one she is picking yet? Good Luck to her and your family! :)

Thank you... I'm sure confucius once said, "sometimes, the man who gets what he wants; ends up with with the problems he asked for."

When my wife was in the interview, I was able to drive around a bit. The Miramar one complex is newer with a parking structure. I read that the workmanship might be a little below average. The mesa apartments are referred to as older and "huge"... coming from a 1600sf 4 br... I will hold judgement. :(.

As a nice touch. There is a nice Russian delicatessen across the street. I think that will be nice when there is no dinner one night. Pelmeni are better when you do not have to make them. For the caffeine junkies, there is a starschmucks. Oh, I almost forgot, there is a sprinkels cup cakes near. one hour wait if you want one.:eek:

I found this blog accidentally and it has some good info from the insiders.
Check it out: http://californiapharmacyschools.blogspot.com/p/student-pharmacist-interviews.html

I personally prefer UCSD over USC because:

1- UCSD is like a "polyp" of UCSF, so the curricular is similar to that of UCSF. Many professors are alumni of or previously taught at UCSF. So basically you'll get the top quality education.
2- However, UCSD is NOT a shadow of UCSF since it has its own teaching theories and emphases (cooperation with the Med School, focus on clinical and hospital pharmacy, a majority of students get residency/fellowship after graduation...) Since I prefer to work in a clinic/hospital rather than a retail pharmacy, UCSD may be a better choice.
3- P/NP grading system eliminates the pressure of getting straight A and encourages students to help each other out. Small class size allows you to know people better.
4- Being a public school, the tuition is lower (quite a few grands to save!)
5- I like the laid-back environment of La Jolla. And UCSD has good on-campus housing options for graduate students. (Not sure if I can get in though because of the waitlist. But I would imagine they'll have some sort of priorities for incoming P1 students :xf:.)
6- Despite being around for 10 years, UCSD has jumped pretty high in the national ranking (32 right now), even higher than UOP (51). That being said, giving it a couple more years, it's going surpass USC.
7- When I came to the interviews, I felt like UCSD was more welcoming and friendlier than USC.
8- Also because of the fact that UCSD accepted me :love: whereas USC put me on the waitlist :smuggrin:.

All in all, I would choose UCSD over USC.

In terms of networking, I think you can do do it wherever you go. I mean USC truly has more alumni, so maybe bigger network. But UCSD professors have quite a spiderweb of relationships too :cool:.

Good luck on your decision :luck:

I found this blog accidentally and it has some good info from the insiders.
Check it out: http://californiapharmacyschools.blogspot.com/p/student-pharmacist-interviews.html

I personally prefer UCSD over USC because:

1- UCSD is like a "polyp" of UCSF, so the curricular is similar to that of UCSF. Many professors are alumni of or previously taught at UCSF. So basically you'll get the top quality education.
2- However, UCSD is NOT a shadow of UCSF since it has its own teaching theories and emphases (cooperation with the Med School, focus on clinical and hospital pharmacy, a majority of students get residency/fellowship after graduation...) Since I prefer to work in a clinic/hospital rather than a retail pharmacy, UCSD may be a better choice.
3- P/NP grading system eliminates the pressure of getting straight A and encourages students to help each other out. Small class size allows you to know people better.
4- Being a public school, the tuition is lower (quite a few grands to save!)
5- I like the laid-back environment of La Jolla. And UCSD has good on-campus housing options for graduate students. (Not sure if I can get in though because of the waitlist. But I would imagine they'll have some sort of priorities for incoming P1 students :xf:.)
6- Despite being around for 10 years, UCSD has jumped pretty high in the national ranking (32 right now), even higher than UOP (51). That being said, giving it a couple more years, it's going surpass USC.
7- When I came to the interviews, I felt like UCSD was more welcoming and friendlier than USC.
8- Also because of the fact that UCSD accepted me :love: whereas USC put me on the waitlist :smuggrin:.

All in all, I would choose UCSD over USC.

In terms of networking, I think you can do do it wherever you go. I mean USC truly has more alumni, so maybe bigger network. But UCSD professors have quite a spiderweb of relationships too :cool:.

Good luck on your decision :luck:

Good information. Thank you... My vote is for UCSD, but my wife can be inflexible to change. :eyebrow: poles can not close until she casts her vote.

That's a tough call.
You're more concerned with where you're going to live,
she's more concerned about prestige.

I went to UCSD for undergrad and worked there for some years afterwards.

San Diego is nice,
but La Jolla/UTC is a little bit expensive to live.
You'll probably end up moving to Clairmont of Mira Mesa or something.
It's not too far.
I liked living in South Park.
The commute isn't too bad at all.

I work at USC pharmacy school now,
and I'll be starting school here in the fall.
It's a little bit ghetto,
but really not that bad.

Most students don't live adjacent to the area,
they live in close areas like Alhambra or Pasadena, which are nice.
I'll be commuting from West LA,
which really isn't that bad once you get used to it.
I get here at 8 every morning.
30 minutes.... 45 with traffic.

The point is,
you don't have to live adjacent to the school.

The real question is for you is, where would you rather live?
LA or San Diego.
Both are great choices in my book.
:thumbup:

That's a tough call.
You're more concerned with where you're going to live,
she's more concerned about prestige.

I went to UCSD for undergrad and worked there for some years afterwards.

San Diego is nice,
but La Jolla/UTC is a little bit expensive to live.
You'll probably end up moving to Clairmont of Mira Mesa or something.
It's not too far.
I liked living in South Park.
The commute isn't too bad at all.

I work at USC pharmacy school now,
and I'll be starting school here in the fall.
It's a little bit ghetto,
but really not that bad.

Most students don't live adjacent to the area,
they live in close areas like Alhambra or Pasadena, which are nice.
I'll be commuting from West LA,
which really isn't that bad once you get used to it.
I get here at 8 every morning.
30 minutes.... 45 with traffic.

The point is,
you don't have to live adjacent to the school.

The real question is for you is, where would you rather live?
LA or San Diego.
Both are great choices in my book.
:thumbup:
Thank you.

North Glendale, and South Pasadena is the closest good areas to live in LA. Mainly, I'm looking at the schools. :prof:

in that case,
ucsd pharm school is no doubt an up and comer and will ascend the ranks with ease since ucsd is a top-notch research institute. wouldn't be surprised at all if someday it overtook ucsf for the #1 spot.

however, the opportunities for pharmacy students is not as well established as usc. the research opportunities in the adjacent biotech industries are going to be awesome though.

usc pharm has been around for a century.

i really don't think you can lose either way.
it's just that ucsd pharm grads 10-20 years from now will probably be better off than the ones now,
whereas usc is already there.

the way the rankings are determined is pretty subjective and flawed in a lot of ways,
but if ranking is important to you and how your cv looks,
and considering that much of the ranking is based on research conducted in that school,
usc isn't going to be slipping down the ranks, i'm pretty sure they'll be going up next year.

http://uscnews.usc.edu/science_technology/usc_school_of_pharmacy_leaps_up_in_nih_funding.html

regardless,
you've got an awesome problem to have and there's plenty of people jealous of your wife. she must be a keeper.

I had this problem too.. USC or UCSD. ><; I was really sure about going to USC because they have a great networking, and also legacy status for my children (when I decide to start a family). I also really like the diverse culture at USC. Being an undergrad from UCSD, there are a lot of problems with cultural acceptance. Speaking with UCSD pharm students, I got a sense that they were a little too intense about studying and didn't have a good balance with their social life. I was really set on USC...

But then I got into UCSF!

Good luck to you and your wife making a collective and critical education!

I had this problem too.. USC or UCSD. ><; I was really sure about going to USC because they have a great networking, and also legacy status for my children (when I decide to start a family). I also really like the diverse culture at USC. Being an undergrad from UCSD, there are a lot of problems with cultural acceptance. Speaking with UCSD pharm students, I got a sense that they were a little too intense about studying and didn't have a good balance with their social life. I was really set on USC...

But then I got into UCSF!

Good luck to you and your wife making a collective and critical education!
That last comment is going to kill my wife... +pissed+ (But then I got into UCSF!)

She was darn near sure that she would not get into UCSF, and tried to focus on her safe school apps rather than putting her eggs into a dream school. Plus, I tried to tell her that SF is not a city for a 5 year old to grow up. Then of course, there is the cost of living. I might piss a few people off when I say this, but UCSD was almost an afterthought. When she was done with USC's application, she had a bit of time to send one to UCSD.

Between you, me, and the internet, :hello: she could have gotten into UCSF. SF's app is ... well I think most of you know what it is like.

Last edited: