US Wealth Inequality

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zarniwoop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you seen this? The top 10% of households by wealth had $7.0 million on average. (The State of U.S. Wealth Inequality)

What percentage of physician households do you think reach this? Pathologist households?
I've clearly not been investing right. I also don't own any tree cutting or tattoo removal businesses - another big mistake on my part.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Since it's an average, I bet the top end skews that quite a bit. Would be interesting to see that subdivided into top 1% and top 0.1%.

Reminds me of that quote by some NBA scrub that barely plays: "I'm closer to Lebron than you are to me." Kicker is that physicians aren't that NBA scrub. Even the most side hustling dual physician household is gonna max out in the $10-50 million range. That's absolutely nothing compared to the multi-billionaires out there.

Since it's an average, I bet the top end skews that quite a bit. Would be interesting to see that subdivided into top 1% and top 0.1%.
Correct. Top 1% is $13.6 mil and top 0.1% is $61.8 mil in 2023 according to this https://dqydj.com/net-worth-percentiles/
Another article says top 5% is $3.2 mil and top 1% is $16.7 mil Net worth - how do you stack up
What percentage of physician households do you think reach this? Pathologist households?
Remember, the average of the top 10% is $7 mil. That does not mean everybody in the top 10% has $7 mil. So, with the top 5% at $3.2 mil and top 1% b/w $13-17 mil, it's probably a fair estimate that only around the top 3-4% are worth $7+ mil

For physicians, I would estimate a low percentage reach this number. I'd guess less than 10-15% (maybe lower). But, it can be achieved and has by some physicians. This probably has more to do with their spending habits and sticking to a budget over the course of their career versus them being in IM vs ortho. This means not buying a house they can't afford, not taking family trips to Europe every summer or winter trips to Disneyland, not enrolling their kids in the most expensive private schools, not having a housekeeper/chef/nanny, etc.

As far as pathologists, I guess it would be about the same. I mean, pathologists incomes are about on average of the overall physician spectrum by specialty. The only difference that may affect that is pathologists have a higher (or highest) mean retirement age among physicians, but probably by only a few of years, although that does add up.

As mentioned, the top 10% of general American households who do average $7 mil is skewed and includes the very high net worth families and ultra-rich e.g. professional athletes, celebrities, families w/ generational/inherited wealth, Fortune 500 execs, etc. Not too many docs reach that level. Some do, most don't.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Another way to increase your wealth is to get a good truffle pig. Mine is making me a lot of money. Good way to unwind taking him into the woods.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Truffles grow in FL? I thought they like more temperate deciduous forest.

It's a pig that sniffs out truffles in the woods. Truffles sell for good prices.
Great thanks. I’m closing my tattoo shop and tree cutting business and going into the truffle pig business then.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Truffles grow in FL? I thought they like more temperate deciduous forest.
Webb is in the backwoods of Kentucky and Ohio area. He’s got properties in Florida. Sounds pretty wealthy. Definitely an entrepreneurial guy.

Webb, as a service to you, perhaps I could do a thermal hunt cull on your FL land!🤣