US Virgin Islands/Locums Negotiation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NiemannPick

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a buddy that lives on St. Thomas and I love it down there. Would ideally spend 1-2 months there yearly and I’m wondering if anyone has experience on any of the USVIs and setting up a locums job there. I’ve heard varying things about pay and recruiters - ideally I would set up my own position. Advice for setting up your own locums job and negotiating is also appreciated - have not done it before and trying to learn. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you just get a job with a lot of vacation and go there on your time off

Reactions: 6 users
Why don't you just get a job with a lot of vacation and go there on your time off
I definitely will, would just like to make some money while I’m there if possible, maybe 1-2 days per week. Also in the possibility I eventually semi-retire there, I’d like to have a good relationship with the hospital built up over time because it’s very realistic that I will miss doing anesthesiology.

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely will, would just like to make some money while I’m there if possible, maybe 1-2 days per week. Also in the possibility I eventually semi-retire there, I’d like to have a good relationship with the hospital built up over time because it’s very realistic that I will miss doing anesthesiology.

Now I am also interested in this path

I don’t know how anyone would be able to reliably build a schedule around such sporadic availability but it doesn’t hurt to ask. I imagine they’ll say no.

I will now apply for this same job, but will work for 10% less than your going rate. Thank you.

I will now apply for this same job, but will work for 10% less than your going rate. Thank you.

There’s a locum job I get periodically, basically for a week of coverage at time. But the pay is pretty poor, I think they basically think that being on the island is a reward onto itself.

Found it.

U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS
St. Thomas, USVI. Working 7am - 3:30 pm; Call every other day; 100% hands on; $800 per day including call back

There’s a locum job I get periodically, basically for a week of coverage at time. But the pay is pretty poor, I think they basically think that being on the island is a reward onto itself.

Found it.

U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS
St. Thomas, USVI. Working 7am - 3:30 pm; Call every other day; 100% hands on; $800 per day including call back

Yeah. That’s absolutely terrible, but Im committed to taking this job just to spite the OP.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Yeah. That’s absolutely terrible, but Im committed to taking this job just to spite the OP.

So it’s now 700 per day? Any lower bidder out there?

I hope they fly you out there and get you some sort of beach house for 800/day. 100% own cases, and on the island.

Maybe I will take it for 600….. nah. I’d rather let working be working, vacationing be rest.

More details for those who are wondering what 800/day will get you.

7am - 3:30 pm (M-F), Call every other night and Saturday or Sunday
All cases including OB & Epis
100 % hands on
4 OR’s + 1 L&D room
2 MD’s / 3 CRNA’s
$800 per day including call back
Hotel booked by hospital or $175 per night reimbursement, airfare, $75 reimbursement per day for rental car

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
More details for those who are wondering what 800/day will get you.

7am - 3:30 pm (M-F), Call every other night and Saturday or Sunday
All cases including OB & Epis
100 % hands on
4 OR’s + 1 L&D room
2 MD’s / 3 CRNA’s
$800 per day including call back
Hotel booked by hospital or $175 per night reimbursement, airfare, $75 reimbursement per day for rental car

I think they are missing a zero

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
You can get a locums job anywhere USA at triple that rate and plan 2 months of year WITHOUT any work while on vacation on the island or work 60% of the time at $800 per day. I know which one I would pick.

Reactions: 2 users
This thread makes no sense. Let me go to a beautiful location so I can sit in a windowless OR and make less than a garbage man.

Reactions: 4 users
This thread demonstrates how much American doctors are paid compared to most of the rest of the world.

This thread demonstrates how much American doctors are paid compared to most of the rest of the world.
I was thinking COL might be ok there and then I saw this...

Screenshot_20220211-213031_Chrome Beta.jpg

800$/day? lol

x4, I may consider it. + call stipend.

I can't believe anyone would want to live on St. Thomas. It's a cruise stop port. There are a million better places in the Caribbean to want to take it easy including right across the way in St. John (although they probably have no hospital in St. John to work at).

Reactions: 1 users
I can't believe anyone would want to live on St. Thomas. It's a cruise stop port. There are a million better places in the Caribbean to want to take it easy including right across the way in St. John (although they probably have no hospital in St. John to work at).

I did a quick search. Only 1 hospital for St. Thomas and St. John. 55K population.

What really caught my eyes was actually there’s only 1 anesthesiologist listed on the hospital site. He graduated, let’s just say, a long while ago.

Opportunities, guys. You can take over the contract and ask for a real stipend….

St john is awesome