Position Wanted US-IMG looking for PGY-1 in Psy/FM/IM/Neuro - 4+yrs clinical, academic, and healthcare administrative exp.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AloD

Reaction score
I had 11 ranks in psych this year and did not match. I graduated with MD/MBA. I applied to IM and FM programs but my application and past clinical and professional experience is geared for Psych and I think programs recognized this.

Looking for any help in getting a PGY-1 in any of the above specialties that may have either become unexpectedly available or an extra spot added.
I contacted the programs where I interviewed for feedback, the ones that responded indicated I was a competitive applicant and they ranked me, Some indicated their ranks filled up much earlier this year compared to previous years.

Along-side clinical management, I have a lot of experience about the general healthcare landscape. I am involved in administration and policy making.
I have trained providers in coding and documentation, renegotiated provider consulting contracts and fee schedules from insurance carriers. I work closely with consulting physicians of many specialties to coordinate care for inpatient and outpatient pt. populations.

I have 1 attempt on step 1, but the rest have passed first attempt.

US Citizen
USMLE STEP 2 CK : 24X
USMLE STEP 1: 21X (1)
USMLE STEP 2 CS: Passed
USMLE STEP 3: 22X
US Clinical Hands-on Experience: 4+ years
Educational and Administrative Experience: 3+ years
Research Publications: 02 (1 MBA, 1 Poster)
Quality Improvement Projects: 03 (Healthcare Administration/clinical topics)

At this time I'm still working full time in my clinical/admin job, working on co-authoring a chapter in a psych handbook with senior faculty, and looking to get fresh 2020 letters from contacts and via externships in my local health system.

I graduated from a school that historically isn't considered for residency in NY. I graduated in 2015. This wasn't the case when I enrolled. Despite that I had interviews in NY due to taking a route for licensing where my clerkship would be confirmed by the NY Education dept.

If anyone can provide any help on how I can improve anything or any links to programs looking for a well rounded candidate I would really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

How many cycles did you apply so far? I would say keep trying and you're likely to match at some points if apply nationwide.

Members don't see this ad :)
This was my 2nd cycle applying, my first cycle i didn't have step 3 so had only limited interviews.

This was my 2nd cycle applying, my first cycle i didn't have step 3 so had only limited interviews.

11 interviews are pretty good. Try to build more connection, improve interview skills and participate the match next year if no luck.