US-FMGS in Ophtho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sgufmg

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know how difficult it is for a US-FMG to enter Ophtho? I have above average Step II scores but mediocore Step I scores. Also, how important is it to have a LOR from a Ophtho program director vs. an Ophtho attending?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by sgufmg
Does anybody know how difficult it is for a US-FMG to enter Ophtho? I have above average Step II scores but mediocore Step I scores. Also, how important is it to have a LOR from a Ophtho program director vs. an Ophtho attending?

thanks!

FMG in general have a difficult time. I think less than 20-30 per year match.

Step I scores are the most important because most people haven't taken Step II yet.

In regards to LORs, I think it's more important to get letters from people who know you best. If the attending knows you well, then have him/her write the letter. If the program director knows you better, than have him/her write it.

Originally posted by Ophtho_MudPhud
FMG in general have a difficult time. I think less than 10 per year match. The year I applied only 6-8 matched. On the other hand, I am not sure about US-FMG. There aren't many so it's really hard judge. I imagine that you'll have to have good grades, strong USMLE Step I scores, and outstanding letters from known people in the field.

Step I scores are the most important because most people haven't taken Step II yet.

In regards to LORs, I think it's more important to get letters from people who know you best. If the attending knows you well, then have him/her write the letter. If the program director knows you better, than have him/her write it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its my understanding someone from Ross did match into Optho this year.There are a good number of positions nationally so its a possiblity for a well qualified IMG to get in but still a difficult match.

Do you happen to know where the Ross student matched??

Rumour has it at SUNY Downstate.That is a highly sought after Optho reseidency if its true.

do you happen to know the board scores of the ross grad who matched there?