US Fellowship as an Australian Physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigmangotree

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently a medical student in Australia (AU citizen; no US citizenship) who is potentially exploring the possibility of completing a fellowship overseas - potentially the U.S. Note that I do not intend to stay in America to practice. I have written this post to get some better clarity on the situation, in order to make a more informed decision as to whether I should bother sitting the USMLEs.

1. I have heard that there are advantages in obtaining an overseas fellowship with regards to career development - would anyone be able to clarify this?

2. If I was to complete a fellowship post-training in Australia, what would the process be like? I presume you would need to pass all 3 parts of the USMLE. Are there also any other requirements necessary to practice in a particular state, say NY, CA, or BOS?

P.S. Currently I am strongly considering pursuing an interventional radiology route, so if there are specific details for that, I would greatly appreciate it as well. General details also welcome as I have not locked into any specialty yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I am currently a medical student in Australia (AU citizen; no US citizenship) who is potentially exploring the possibility of completing a fellowship overseas - potentially the U.S. Note that I do not intend to stay in America to practice. I have written this post to get some better clarity on the situation, in order to make a more informed decision as to whether I should bother sitting the USMLEs.

1. I have heard that there are advantages in obtaining an overseas fellowship with regards to career development - would anyone be able to clarify this?

2. If I was to complete a fellowship post-training in Australia, what would the process be like? I presume you would need to pass all 3 parts of the USMLE. Are there also any other requirements necessary to practice in a particular state, say NY, CA, or BOS?

P.S. Currently I am strongly considering pursuing an interventional radiology route, so if there are specific details for that, I would greatly appreciate it as well. General details also welcome as I have not locked into any specialty yet.
In general, you will not be able to do a fellowship in the US without having done a residency in the core specialty in the US… there are some exceptions.

Last edited:
If you don’t want to stay, it is not worth the hassle and money.

Reactions: 1 user