Urology + Gen Surg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BloodySurgeon

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to apply to both Uro and Gen Surg and I have a few questions.

1) Is it possible for programs to know if I am applying to both? How about if its both at the same hospital?

2) I am a bit confused about timeline. Since urology match results come out in January, if I am not accepted to urology can I change my match list to put all my general surgery residencies on the top of my list or is it just one list that I can't change.

3) Is there any data on urologymatch like the NRMP match data? I tried looking and could not find any. Also a list of programs in the United states would be nice.

4) are there any difference in the urology match application to that of the ERAS application and are some urology programs on ERAS?

Thank you for replying in advance. The process is pretty confusing and Ive been having trouble finding consisted info on these question even after searching the web.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Is it possible for programs to know if I am applying to both? How about if its both at the same hospital?

2) I am a bit confused about timeline. Since urology match results come out in January, if I am not accepted to urology can I change my match list to put all my general surgery residencies on the top of my list or is it just one list that I can't change.

3) Is there any data on urologymatch like the NRMP match data? I tried looking and could not find any. Also a list of programs in the United states would be nice.

4) are there any difference in the urology match application to that of the ERAS application and are some urology programs on ERAS?

Thank you for replying in advance. The process is pretty confusing and Ive been having trouble finding consisted info on these question even after searching the web.
I don't think it's possible for them to find out where you applied, or to which specialties.

The NRMP rank list is different from the AUA rank list, so the urology programs won't be on there anyway. Only your prelim spot will go on the NRMP list if you do match urology.

There are some data out there on matching urology, but it's not as robust as the NRMP gives out. There is a Google doc from last year's accepted class. The AUA website has some general applicant stats (http://www.auanet.org/education/urology-and-specialty-matches.cfm - scroll down to "Residency match statistics"). The AUA website maintains a list of all urology programs in the US (http://www.auanet.org/education/residency-programs/)

AUA uses the same ERAS application system.

(1) Not directly, its not like they get a list of where you apply to. Indirectly, unless you have two completely separate personal statements and 2 completely different sets of letter writers tailored to each field then they will probably be able to gleam it from your application. Also if you're at the same hospital, it's entirely possible that departments talk or you may simply see some of the faculty/residents from one field while interviewing for the other, which would be an awkward situation.

(2) Yes. Urology match day is before general surgery rank lists are due, so you can rank all the gen surg programs if you don't match in uro. The opposite is not true as urology match occurs earlier.

(3) Data is pretty poor. US grad match rate was 67% last year. Based on a self-reported google doc (suboptimal I know) avg step 1 was 242. Overall it's probably pretty equivalent to ENT (small field, competetive surgical subspecialty) so that may be a good starting place to draw some comparisons.

(4) Nope, the application is the same and on eras.