Urology Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Velocity670

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

Long time lurker. I'm a 3rd medical student at a US mid-tier program. I have been passionate about Urology since late 1st year. Since 4th year is coming up, I've been getting more nervous about matching given my stats and clerkship grades not going my way. I'd like to match to a big city ideally, but would settle for just matching into any Urology program. I am in cahoots with some Urology faculty at my institution and know some faculty other mid-tier programs via research. Please give me an honest evaluation of what you think and any advice you may have for me moving forward. Appreciate it!

Step 1: 239

Clerkship Grades (Clinical grade, Shelf):

IM: NH, P

Neurology: NH, NH

Family Medicine: H, P

Psychiatry: H, NH

Pediatrics: Pending

Surgery: Not completed

OBGYN: Not completed

MSPE Comments: Really positive and specific to my skills. Comment on my humor (lulz) and ability to work with the team. Most comments are not generalized.

Research (authorship, journal):

Published:

1 bench drug delivery paper (3rd, Advanced Therapeutics)

1 Urology case report (1st, journal of endourology CR)

1 Urology paper (4th, Journal of Endourology)

1 Urology paper-Revision phase/basically accepted (2nd, Journal of Endourology)

Submitted/In the works:

2 Urology papers-Submitted (both 1st, Central European Journal of Urology)

1 Urology case series-Submitted (2nd, Journal of Endourology CR)

1 Urology paper-Finished/Awaiting submission (2nd, Journal of Endourology)

1 Urology case series paper finishing up (1st)

Abstracts: 3 (none at AUA)

Presentations: 2 (have a 3rd in the works)

Extracurriculars (LOL): I have had 2 leadership roles in medical school and have received the highest honor of volunteering at our free clinic. I don't think anyone cares though ahah

Members don't see this ad.

Looking pretty well positioned. Missing piece is excellent performance on some away rotations.

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed you are probably in good shape to match at a low/mid tier program (in terms of prestige, Urology has done a good job of ensuring good quality of programs almost across the board), I would plan your aways accordingly.

With regards to focusing on big cities, keep in mind you may take a hit in training in that regard. By which I mean if you're in a very desirable city with 5 training programs (think new york, philly, boston), it's often a competitive market to attract patients so attendings may be more hands on and your training can suffer. This will be highly program dependent, though. You may be better off at the only shop in a smaller/mid-sized city, as some of those "mid" programs can provide excellent training. Think University of Rochester, University of Iowa, UT San Antonio, Utah, Minnesota, Kansas, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate the responses. Gives me hope. Unfortunately, it seems like aways might be limited for my year as well, which may limit my exposure to programs and therefore interviews in that regard. Only time can tell.

Till then.

Update for those who wonder what the end result was.

After post above,
Step 2 - 252
2 Sub-I's
10 publications, 17 presentations total at AUA and WCET
100 applications sent
22 IVs
Attended 18 (4 had conflicts)
Matched in California (home state)
The effort paid off and I am thrilled to go back home

Reactions: 1 user