URGENT QUESTION PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undergrad13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a us citizen and (got/getting)a BA in psychology. I did not take many science courses but I'm very apt in them. So far I've been studying for the MCAT and I've been averaging 502 after practice tests. I'm planning to take in January 18.
My problem is that the science prerequisites take too long. They are time consuming with the labs and all. I understand the basic science prerequisites but I just want to Start medical school next year instead of taking a year or two on the foundation stuff I already know.

What should I do because American schools, at least most, want prereqs. Can I get into any Australian, Ireland or any international schools that take fafsa other than Caribbean schools.

Members don't see this ad.

erm yes, the short answer as to if can you get into any international school - is yes. you can get into any number of many australian or irish school (potentially) without prereqs so long as you meet minimum cut offs (which can be far lower than most American MD schools). try worldwidemed.co.

on getting a job when you grad, you actually make your life more challenging. very very roughly speaking. you stay stateside, it's a 93-99% chance that you'll match into a residency program, you go offshore, you cut those odds in half. Moreover, not only have you cut your chances, but more likely than not, you will end up in FM or IM, which may or may not be your first choice. have a browse through threads like these - Have any of your friends gone Caribbean Med?.

But, based on your post, lol do you even care what happens after you get into some medical somewhere?

Or is that an URGENT QUESTION for another night. lol.. it's as if you're gonna die unless you get in already.
gasp-gif-7.gif

erm yes, the short answer as to if can you get into any international school - is yes. you can get into any number of many australian or irish school (potentially) without prereqs so long as you meet minimum cut offs (which can be far lower than most American MD schools). try worldwidemed.co.

on getting a job when you grad, you actually make your life more challenging. very very roughly speaking. you stay stateside, it's a 93-99% chance that you'll match into a residency program, you go offshore, you cut those odds in half. Moreover, not only have you cut your chances, but more likely than not, you will end up in FM or IM, which may or may not be your first choice. have a browse through threads like these - Have any of your friends gone Caribbean Med?.

But, based on your post, lol do you even care what happens after you get into some medical somewhere?

Or is that an URGENT QUESTION for another night. lol.. it's as if you're gonna die unless you get in already.
gasp-gif-7.gif
Practicing in USA is not a must for me. As long as I'm a certified well trained doc with a certified degree, then I'm fine.
I'm not looking forward to settling down and taking care of patients in suburbia. My plan from the start is to work in areas in need of physicians. Like Africa. I'm east African so I will fit in fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
unless you're an EU citizen, it's hard to stay in ireland after.
it's also becoming the case in Australia.
if you don't care about where you end up for residency (to finish your training - because you don't come out an attending afterwards), then sure lol, either will be fine.

you opened with you're a US citizen, by the way..

unless you're an EU citizen, it's hard to stay in ireland after.
it's also becoming the case in Australia.
if you don't care about where you end up for residency (to finish your training - because you don't come out an attending afterwards), then sure lol, either will be fine.

you opened with you're a US citizen, by the way..
Yeah I began with stating that I'm a us citizen because I just wanted to let you all helping me, know my full situation. Sorry for the mislead. Thanks for the advice

First off (and without the jabs), we've all been there. It feels "urgent" when you are getting ready to graduate from college/university and you feel like you need to have your whole life lined-up right now (!!!!).

Take a breath, do what's right, be patient, and don't make any bad choices. You want to leave as many doors open as possible for your future.

That said, here's what I would recommend:

Do a post-baccalaureate program that will get you covered in all the pre-reqs. This will also be a pathway to getting a graduate STEM degree (M.S./PhD) if the whole med school thing doesn't work out. Then, apply to medical school in the U.S. and hopefully get a spot there. There are no shortcuts. People who try to take shortcuts usually end-up screwing themselves in the long run.

There are many post-bacc programs that offer a bridge into medical school. If you are a psychology major and that is your area of interest, you can complete an M.D./D.O. program in the U.S. and go into Psychiatry. After your done with school and your training, you can go anywhere you want.

Believe me, don' t make mistakes at 21/22-years-old that will have ramifications for the rest of your life. And, the Caribbean schools (at least all the reputable ones) require the pre-reqs anyway.

-Skip