Urgent Helps Needed: Visa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SevenChen

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone help me?

I am an US Grads from Canada. I sent email to a residency program to ask if they sponsor Visa before my interview. They replied to my email that they would sponsor J-1 and H1B Visas.

I matched to this program on March 15, 2019. I sent email to them today to ask if they could start processing my H1B Visa. However, they responded to me that they could sponsor J-1 only.

Did this mean that this program didn't keep their promise? What can I do to persuade them to sponsor H1B? Are there any legal way to let them follow what they said?

Please help me as the time for H1B application is very tight right now.

Many thanks for your helps!

Steven

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
typically H1B are only sponsored if you've taken and passed Step 3.
Programs can change whether they decide to sponsor J1 vs H1B, depending on your qualifications.

Did you apply for OPT? My program states on the website that they will only sponsor H1b after OPT, i.e., only US graduates are sponsored H1b. I am currently waiting for my OPT approval and will discuss with GME regarding H1b application once I begin.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could anyone help me?

I am an US Grads from Canada. I sent email to a residency program to ask if they sponsor Visa before my interview. They replied to my email that they would sponsor J-1 and H1B Visas.

I matched to this program on March 15, 2019. I sent email to them today to ask if they could start processing my H1B Visa. However, they responded to me that they could sponsor J-1 only.

Did this mean that this program didn't keep their promise? What can I do to persuade them to sponsor H1B? Are there any legal way to let them follow what they said?

Please help me as the time for H1B application is very tight right now.

Steven

I would clarify with your program their intentions. Are they no longer offering H1B? Do you have email records of everything?
ideally you would do your F1 OPT (1 year period) then H1B.
H1B allows extensions up to 6 years, plus you can recapture time outside of the USA.

typically H1B are only sponsored if you've taken and passed Step 3.
Programs can change whether they decide to sponsor J1 vs H1B, depending on your qualifications.

As I know, for US graduates, you don’t need to take Step 3 before H1b application. Is this correct?

Thanks for your information

Did you apply for OPT? My program states on the website that they will only sponsor H1b after OPT, i.e., only US graduates are sponsored H1b. I am currently waiting for my OPT approval and will discuss with GME regarding H1b application once I begin.

Yes. I applied for OPT yesterday. I am hoping I can get it before July. Thanks

I would clarify with your program their intentions. Are they no longer offering H1B? Do you have email records of everything?
H1B allows extensions up to 6 years, plus you can recapture time outside of the USA.

Yes. The email they sent to me mentioned that they would sponsor J1 and H1b.
I will get OPT soon. I guess they still sponsor h1b as they just told me that their company is for profit and h1b couldn’t cover the time for my residency (starting from July 1,2019) before h1b approval. I have sent email to them that I will use my OPT to cover the time before h1 approval but they didn’t respond yet.

Thanks for your information

Yes. I still keep their email regarding the visa

Thank you guys for useful information. In case I have OPT to cover my residency from July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020, my company apply for h1b for me and I need to attend h1b lottery next April, if I am not lucky enough to be selected during lottery, my OPT will be expired very soon at that time, what would be my visa options at that case so I can keep my residency in USA?

Thank you guys for useful information. In case I have OPT to cover my residency from July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020, my company apply for h1b for me and I need to attend h1b lottery next April, if I am not lucky enough to be selected during lottery, my OPT will be expired very soon at that time, what would be my visa options at that case so I can keep my residency in USA?
If the hospital is for-profit, they are unfortunately non-exempt from the H1b cap, and it's highly likely you won't get H1b. I think the only visa you are eligible for during residency is either H1b or J1, so if you did not get H1b from the lottery, you can only do J1.

Reactions: 1 user
If the hospital is for-profit, they are unfortunately non-exempt from the H1b cap, and it's highly likely you won't get H1b. I think the only visa you are eligible for during residency is either H1b or J1, so if you did not get H1b from the lottery, you can only do J1.

Thanks for the information. Do you think if I will have enough time to apply for j1 visa for my residency after I find I am not selected in h1b lottery next April? I worry about missing chances to apply j1 at that time. Sorry for question as I don’t have experience applying j1. Thanks again

Thanks for the information. Do you think if I will have enough time to apply for j1 visa for my residency after I find I am not selected in h1b lottery next April? I worry about missing chances to apply j1 at that time. Sorry for question as I don’t have experience applying j1. Thanks again
Unfortunately also in the process of applying for OPT, so unsure about the exact process of J1. You should consult your GME office when it comes time applying for J1/H1.

One thing you need to be very diligent about is communicating and making it clear that H1B is what you expect. H1B >>>> J1. Some programs don't sponsor them and you will just do a hard pass. I emailed the programs I was interested in, so I don't waste my time. Rarely you find out during the interview (which is kind of a dick move by them).

In your case, I wouldn't worry too much if they had previously promised to sponsor H1b. You're contractually obligated with the match, and that should mean they are too. Now as mentioned before, a for-profit system might not be able to guarantee the petition will be approved, but they should at least attempt to get it for you.

Last edited:
One thing you need to be very diligent about is communicating and making it clear that H1B is what you expect. H1B >>>> J1. Some programs don't sponsor them and you will just do a hard pass. I emailed the programs I was interested in, so I don't waste my time. Rarely you find out during the interview (which is kind of a dick move by them).

In your case, I wouldn't worry too much if they had previously promised to sponsor H1b. You're contractually obligated with the match, and that should mean they are too. Now as mentioned before, a for-profit system might not be able to guarantee the petition will be approved, but they should at least attempt to get it for you.

Sounds very good way to approach h1b. Thanks again