UPMC South side residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPMrick

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody has any insight on it? Is it a good program? From what I've read it seems to be surgery focused.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's a good program and might apply for the externship if I like what I find out at our residency fair next month. There are so many good Pennsylvania pod residency programs that it's hard to decide. UPMC attracts some of the better OCPM grads almost every year and also gets good applicants and residents from other pod schools.

One thing to consider is that UPMC-Presby is one of the top ortho MD residencies, so if you are looking to go into an ortho group, they'll know you have solid training and that might help get you the nod for a nice job down the line. The only potential downside to that could be that there are so many ortho residents and fellows, as well as other pods, around UPMC's hospitals that it might create a kinda top-heavy training. Those would be good things to find out. The Barry students I've talked to said they enjoyed the externship and got a fair amount of hands-on and pertinent pimp Qs... I'm excited to see UPMC's residency presentation.

I think Feelgood was thinking heading to UPMC soon, maybe he can give us the good word?

Bump.

Feelgood, aren't you at UPMC-SS right now? How do you like it?

Members don't see this ad :)
UPMC attracts some of the better OCPM grads almost every year and also gets good applicants and residents from other pod schools.

This is true but they have a good mix of residents from various schools. I'm sorry to say Feli, I'm not sure if they have any Barry grads currently. They are not over-represented by school.

One thing to consider is that UPMC-Presby is one of the top ortho MD residencies, so if you are looking to go into an ortho group, they'll know you have solid training and that might help get you the nod for a nice job down the line.

This is very true. The program is actually integrated with the ortho residents. Dr. Burns is a faculty member in the ortho department and their group has 1 foot and ankle orthopod (will be 2 next year) and a bunch of DPMs. There is no separation of the two groups and all are seen as equals.

The only potential downside to that could be that there are so many ortho residents and fellows, as well as other pods, around UPMC's hospitals that it might create a kinda top-heavy training. Those would be good things to find out.

I'm not sure what you mean here but the rotations are very well rounded. You will see a ton of podiatry cases and ortho cases. UPMC currently has almost all of the ortho fellowships (spine, trauma, sports med, hands, ect) but they do not have foot and ankle that is open to ortho. There is however a foot and ankle fellowship for podiatrist with the foot and ankle orthopods. When you graduate from the fourth year, it comes from the UMPC orthopaedic department and is listed as a foot and ankle fellowship.

They do take 5 residents a year now and there are about 50 ortho residents, but UPMC owes Pittsburgh. They have numerous hospitals in the area. The main hospital is UPMC-Southside for all foot and ankle surgery is UPMC-Southside. This includes all ortho foot and ankle (besides acute trauma).

I think Feelgood was thinking heading to UPMC soon, maybe he can give us the good word?

False, I am not heading here, I am here. I don't think that there is much arguing that UPMC is in the top 5 in the country (if there is I'll be happy to explain why that person is wrong). They have solid numbers and the close relationship with the ortho department is very rare. They are very academic, at least 3 academic meetings each week. I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Thanks for all the info Feelgood. It sounds like they have a stellar program there. I'm very impressed to hear that the ortho department has such a good relationship with the pods. That's very encouraging.

Thanks for the info Feelgood. So do you only work at the South Side hospital? Or do you rotate between several hospitals? And what is your daily schedule like currently?

From what I have heard and read it sounds like a top notch program. I am thinking about doing one of my externships there next year.

Thanks for the info Feelgood. So do you only work at the South Side hospital? Or do you rotate between several hospitals? And what is your daily schedule like currently?

From what I have heard and read it sounds like a top notch program. I am thinking about doing one of my externships there next year.

During the externship, you will work at a few hospitals. One week is a surgical rotation. YOu do the majority of the work at SS but may be at other hospitals. You go were the cases are. The second week is a clinical rotation. You rotate at the UPMC Foot and Ankle clinc and a few attendings office. The third week is at the VA hospital. You have both clinic and surgical case work. The fourth week is a both of the three.

Thanks for the info.

I agree with Dr. FeelGood. UPMC is a great residency program. I externed there and had a good month. They provide a hands-on learning experience, both surgically as well as clinically. It's an organized program which provides academic lectures about 3 x week. Workshops are Tuesday nights which gives an opportunity to work on saw bones in the wet lab. All the residents are really nice and helpful which is a plus. The director and attendings are really interested in teaching the students and residents. I would strongly recommend UPMC for an externship month to the fourth year students.

****edited**********

Oh, the name has changed recently due to ppl not knowing what "UPMC"' stood for (at least for the CASPR/CRIP matching process)

it's University of Pittsburgh Medical Center - South Side Hospital
(say that 3x fast, ah)