Update programs on new publication? Y or N

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Philosopher Jagger

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
About me: applying Midwest peds, average scores, above avg. EC's, 4 solid LOR's, have 4 other Peds pubs listed. Went on 9 interviews

Article was recently accepted by mid-tier journal and is published on website. I'm 2nd author to a Peds CT surgeon.

Main question is this: is it worth updating? How do I even say this without making a big deal of something small? How do I update programs, like through ERAS or email. Sorry if this is a dumb question. I anticipate the pub would take longer
Thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

About me: applying Midwest peds, average scores, above avg. EC's, 4 solid LOR's, have 4 other Peds pubs listed. Went on 9 interviews

Article was recently accepted by mid-tier journal and is published on website. I'm 2nd author to a Peds CT surgeon.

Main question is this: is it worth updating? How do I even say this without making a big deal of something small? How do I update programs, like through ERAS or email. Sorry if this is a dumb question. I anticipate the pub would take longer
Thanks all
Probably won't change whatever rank they already gave you. My 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't tell them. It's a drop in the bucket compared to everything else. If you already have 4 pubs then that box is checked. If someone mentions your research at interviews then you could mention the extra publication, but it's small potatoes overall.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, one additional publication (when you already have 4) isn’t going to put you over the top in Midwest peds programs.

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks all

Are your 4 other publications full manuscripts or are they abstract publications?

If the former, no need to update. If the latter, probably good to tell them. Maybe it'll help, it certainly won't hurt.

*Edit: I screwed that up, if the latter, no update. If the former, update.

Reactions: 1 user
Cool. Thanks all once again. I sorta knew the answer in the back of my mind, but wanted to be sure there weren’t overwhelming examples of getting a positive response back.

Nothing says "rank me" quite like a carrier pigeon.