UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that as of June 1st, if you have been accepted to another Texas school then you drop of the wait list.

I wonder why schools choose to have a ranked v.s. unranked waitlist. There's pros and cons to each, so its tough to say which one is better..

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, I double checked and the letter does say June 1st. I'm betting this is a state wide thing and surprise surprise, TMDSAS wasn't exactly updated yet. I'd like to think that this doesn't affect too many people except cases like marvos, so yeah, we'll see if the list moves on that day. Maybe it'll be like a 2nd match day for the waiting.

Did all the accepted get the welcome e-mail today? There's still no info about the preview day that is supposed to be sometime in April...hmm

Yeah I got it too. I'm surprised they didn't say anything about the thing in April but it would be nice to know if they are going to have that again. I was going to try and look for housing that weekend but if they don't have it I'd like to go over spring break. I guess we'll just have to wait and see...I'm sure they would at least tell us by mid-March??

Members don't see this ad :)
Did all the accepted get the welcome e-mail today? There's still no info about the preview day that is supposed to be sometime in April...hmm

Yay for the welcome e-mail!
Did anyone else notice that i was sent to A LOT of people. I excelled the contact list and the email was sent to 197 NEW STUDENTS! Anyone know what TCOM's class size is going to be? I thought it wasn't going to be 200 until 2010... just curious...congrats everyone.

Yay for the welcome e-mail!
Did anyone else notice that i was sent to A LOT of people. I excelled the contact list and the email was sent to 197 NEW STUDENTS! Anyone know what TCOM's class size is going to be? I thought it wasn't going to be 200 until 2010... just curious...congrats everyone.

I was clicking on links on their website today and somehow got somewhere where they had projected like 205ish for the class of 2013. I think it was written a while tho so I didn't know how accurate it is. If there are 197 it seems like it's pretty accurate!

205? Wow, I thought it was only 185. It seems they got the go ahead to allow even more beyond 10 per year.

If that's the case though, where are the other 7 people? I'm also confused about the number of 'offers' they let out. From the website it says 400 or so, but they only send out 197 welcome emails, so does that mean the other half got waitlisted, rejected or chose another school? That's how I'm interpreting it.

the other half may have received a pre-match but then decided to go to another tmdsas school

the 197 are probably those that choose to take the pre-match and those who matched in

Well I remember reading in this thread way back before match and y'all were discussing that they said they weren't sending out many prematches this year. That would result in less offers total, so instead of the 400 from last year maybe it's less?

Also, yes the 197 are those that they have in the class at the moment, not those that matched to a different school.

Also, yes the 197 are those that they have in the class at the moment, not those that matched to a different school.

That's odd. During the interview they said they may increase class size, but when I talked to them they said that the class is going to stay at 185 this year.

Who knows, maybe they are expecting some to drop? I didn't count the email addresses, I'm just trusting veraisme. :)

And that 205 number came from a page that looked like it hadn't been updated in a while so I really don't know how accurate it is.

Who knows, maybe they are expecting some to drop? I didn't count the email addresses, I'm just trusting veraisme. :)

And that 205 number came from a page that looked like it hadn't been updated in a while so I really don't know how accurate it is.

Wow lots of activity over 197. Thanks for the trust mgirl, I'm trusting my excel spreadsheet, i couldn't count them, not enough patience!

The more the merrier, I thought the current facilities hold a max of 185 students though...

Wow lots of activity over 197. Thanks for the trust mgirl, I'm trusting my excel spreadsheet, i couldn't count them, not enough patience!

The more the merrier, I thought the current facilities hold a max of 185 students though...

I really hope I get accepted off the wait list!

Aren't they building a new building? When is it supposed to be completed?

Members don't see this ad :)
I e-mailed Misty Smethers about the preview day and she said it will be April 25 this year and any family members and significant others are welcome to come. There will be a housing fair with lots of local realtors and representatives from apartment complexes and other rental properties there. She said she will be sending more info about it out in the next couple of weeks.

Yeah, tell me about it...I was waiting for someone to come back to I wouldn't have to double post and maintain my sanity :laugh:

That and I really don't want to study for finals right now :mad:

Yeah I dont feel like studying either for my Master's Comprehensive Exams. I wish I can fastforward to April and May already. I wanted to ask you know how after June 15th any one who has admissions at a Texas school can not be made another offer does this help or hurt people who do not have admissions to another medical school and are on the waitlist?

Well, that's the thing: it's like you have to make a decision as to whether or not that waitlisted school is worth dropping the seat. Also, I think that it is actually June 1st, not the 15th, at least for TCOM it is.

I don't really know the details, but this is definitely something worth calling them for. Ask them if you can still be eligible for the waitlist if you drop your other TX seats at the end of May. They should be able to tell you that at least.

in a letter from TT-El Paso, they said the deadline for giving up seats is May 15th. maybe the individual schools set their own dates but the overall Texas date is June 15th? *shrugs*

anyway, i would imagine this whole deadline thing helps those who are waitlisted without acceptances from other schools. i could imagine a huge waitlist movement when that deadline comes as a good number of people are taken off of the list. as far as movement from the waitlist into the accepted list goes, it'll probably just depend on the people already accepted. so IMO it would mostly help your waitlist rank and then trickle over to helping you get an acceptance. this is all just my way of thinking--no little birdy told me this.

I thought about calling them Friday, but I decided against it just because I am sure I have pestered them enough. Well hopefully like Marvolush says it help those of us who do not yet have acceptance. My guess is not to many people would give up a seat and take their chances with the waiting list. But who knows there could be a couple of brave individuals. What would be kind of cool is if people could sell their seat on Craigs list...jk..I am just getting carried away.

Yeah, it would probably be a TCOM thing. Both of you got TCOM's waitlist letter too right? It says that after June 1st, TCOM cannot offer anyone a seat who currently has a TX one. It didn't mention that TX wide thing, so I guess it's a decision by the school itself.

I think it's good that they give them so much time actually. June 1st is long way off and I really wish it would give a hint to TCOM that they are a first choice if they had the courage to relinquish a seat at a current TX school just for them.

I think in May, things will hopefully heat up, but until then, I guess there's not much for us to do.

Well the state wide thing, I got from TMDSAS and thats where the June 15th date came from. And the waitlist letter said June 1st for TCOM. I guess Flushot we can not do much but we can do two things post on sdn and of course wait.

One clarification what I got the June 15th date from the TMDSAS website.

Well the state wide thing, I got from TMDSAS and thats where the June 15th date came from. And the waitlist letter said June 1st for TCOM. I guess Flushot we can not do much but we can do two things post on sdn and of course wait.

Yeah, I know...it's frustrating for all of us. It's good to talk and discuss...makes the waiting easier :)

I have no doubt that it's a statewide set date, but I'm going off of what TCOM says on how they themselves will act. If you think about it, it's really only 2 weeks, so the difference in not that great, but when you look at when TCOM starts school, it could factor in. Maybe that's why they made the decision to not take anyone who is sitting somewhere else after June 1st regardless of what TMDSAS says.

I bet that some schools wouldn't mind letting students hang on the waitlist until the week of orientation (assuming these applicants have another seat) but TMDSAS probably just wants to resolve things before then.

It makes sense to have a date after which individuals with an acceptance to a TX school drop off the waitlists of other schools. This way it allows waitlist movement sooner rather than later as spots free up. But it is still a waiting game!

I have no doubt that it's a statewide set date, but I'm going off of what TCOM says on how they themselves will act. If you think about it, it's really only 2 weeks, so the difference in not that great, but when you look at when TCOM starts school, it could factor in. Maybe that's why they made the decision to not take anyone who is sitting somewhere else after June 1st regardless of what TMDSAS says.

that's a good point about considering when TCOM starts. TT-El Paso's orientation is July 9th :scared: so having a deadline of May 15th makes sense

Wow, that orientation is even earlier that TCOM's :eek:

If you ask me, June 15th is an extremely generous date for those who have decisions to make. For the rest of us, we have to kind of linger in limbo while people deliberate. It would be nicer if the deadlines were earlier because in honestly, 2 months isn't really ample time to prepare for where to go, much less 1 week before orientation like we've all been hearing about.

Looking for a female roommate to get an apartment in Fort Worth with next year. PM me if interested!

Wow, it's been quite the ghost town, hasn't it? Nothing kills a thread faster when most of the active members are waitlisted :(

How is everyone holding up? Resisting the urge to call them again and badger for a response or update? :laugh:

I am still waiting. I told a friend of mine that if I got in I would buy him to steak dinners from Roadhouse. I did go through last years thread and the first sign of movement came in late April. Eventhough a post said other Texas schools had movement before then. Then there was some movement in May, June, and July so fortunatley for us it does move.

So I still semi crossing the fingers. I hope it all works out I think TCOM and osteopathic medicine is an excellent fit with my public health background.

But Flushot I must say if anyone deserves to get it is you. You were posting on last years thread as well and your keeping this thread alive.

Yeah its been quiet around here.

When I spoke to them sometime ago, I got the sense that out of all the candidates who interviewed and did not match, only a certain amount get placed on the waitlist.

Atleast this sounds somewhat favorable for us.

Anybody hear anything similar?

Well that does make things better if that is the case. I was reading on last years thread that pretty much all of the students who do their Masters of Medical Science program and do not meet the GPA requirement got an automatic waitlist. So I do not know how that effects people as well. And the other question I had was if an OS withdraws does that spot automatically go to an out of state or is the waitlist together with in-state.

Yeah, I'm not sure if the waitlists are separate or not. It sounds like they would be, considering they need to control the OOS people coming in, so I guess we'll see.

I hope there's more activity as you say in the next two months. Thanks for the encouragement mzebda; I hope the best for you too.

Do you guys think if we were to call they would tell us how many people total are on the waiting list?

someone i knew didn't get accepted off of the TCOM waitlist a few years ago until May if that's any consolation.

as far as calling, i don't think it would hurt. it's not like you're asking them your rank on the waitlist as they were so adamant about not telling. probably wouldn't hurt to ask if there's been a lot of movement either since it seems that they wouldn't mind divulging that info.

good luck everyone! hang in there!

Yeah, it's way to early to give up anything. I hope it gets exciting in the next two months.

I do plan on calling them soon to ask about the situation, maybe to just ease my nerves. I hope everyone is hold up though; it's far from over.

For those of you that are in, how do you plan on paying for school? Any HPSPers?

I called yesterday to ask them about the FAFSA. He said to go ahead and send the information. He also said that no one has yet been accepted off the wait list which is expected because I dont things move until April/May.

I did not have the courage to ask him does everyone who interviewed get waitlist? Or how many people are on the waitlist? I wish they would tell us that much because if there is like 200 people on the waitlist then we can start planning accordingly but if there is like 30 or so then we have a chance.

everyone I've talked to that did not get into TCOM, has gotten waitlisted. I haven't heard of anyone getting rejected

For anyone interested, I'm a post-bac at UNTHSC and today's M4 match results were e-mailed out to the whole school. If you're interested in taking a peek I can forward them to you.

Hi, everyone, and congratulations on being accepted to medical school! I am selling my condo on 4920 Byers Avenue, with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and 2 covered parking spaces. I adored living here! It's in a very nice neighborhood, with nearby home prices in the millions. Less than 2 miles from school (I never missed a class due to inclement weather, and never was unable to meet my study group - it certainly helped my GPA), it's also within WALKING distance from shopping, several restaurants, a grocery store, a bar, Walgreens, Starbucks, and 2 lovely public parks, one with a tennis court and children's playground, and the other with a baseball diamond and playground. If you have a bike you may not even need a car, however the covered parking has saved my car from hailstorms several times. I have gone on away rotations for a month or two at a time and nobody has bothered my place. It would be great for two roommates or a married couple or small family. There is a small backyard. I haven't decided what my asking price will be, but I will make sure that it is reasonable for a medical student. Please contact my real estate agent, Kendall Rojas at [email protected] or 817.665.1222.

For anyone interested, I'm a post-bac at UNTHSC and today's M4 match results were e-mailed out to the whole school. If you're interested in taking a peek I can forward them to you.

Hey, thanks for the heads up, but the match results or something like it have been kindly posted in this compilation thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=612056

If you see anything incorrect matches, please let us/them know. Thanks again!

when does this waitlist start moving? does anyone know from last year....does it move alot on one day, or does it move one by one on different days

Time, we speculate it will be around mid to end of April, but I've been meaning to call them to ask some general things about it. I've also been dreading it because the last time I called, she pretty much re-read the reapplicant page of their website back to me.

Until then, ghost town :(

Last edited:
From what I saw on last years thread was that the waiting list started moving in late April. I saw people post acceptances in May, June, and up until a week before school started. Also, I did call them about two weeks ago about my fafsa and asked about the wait list, they told me as of two weeks that they have not accepted anyone of the waitlist so there has not been any movement as of two weeks ago.

I guess its going to be about another month until periodic waitlist movement begins.

Is everyone completing their FAFSA for TCOM eventhough you are on the waitlist?

Status
Not open for further replies.