Other University Program IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SAF12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I could use some help. Im a US IMG in MS3 interested in primary care. Specifically, internal medicine primary care track but internal medicine is also fine. Id really like a University program in the NY area. Would a place like Cornell or NYU even consider a US IMG? If not are there any university programs for primary care that take IMGs with high step scores.My stats are below.
Step I: 253
Straight As in both basic sciences and clinical
Expected strong LORs
Expected step II: above 250
President of an organisation in my medical school.
Involved in two research projects ( one psych and one medicine) but no publications yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Plenty of quality university programs have imgs on their roster. The NY are has tons. You'll have to research individual programs. My brother was accepted into one of the Ivy's with scores less than yours. That was 2 years ago. He went to med in Australia.

Yes. Plenty of quality university programs have imgs on their roster. The NY are has tons. You'll have to research individual programs. My brother was accepted into one of the Ivy's with scores less than yours. That was 2 years ago. He went to med in Australia.

Ivy means nothing at the residency level. Dartmouth and Brown for example are not at the caliber of the OP's above mentioned NYU. Columbia and Penn, on the other hand, are much more selective IM residency programs. This is program dependent, not based on a college athletic conference.

OP, take a look at the rosters of residents wherever they may be available and cast a wide net regardless.

To say ivy means less at this level vs undergrad, may be more appropriate. Stating it means nothing at the residency level is incorrect - the research, resources, and access at these places stacks them above most other programs