University of the Pacific

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PT2004

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if you folks had any opinions on UOP's DPT program...:thumbup: or :thumbdown:??

Members don't see this ad.

I just graduated from UOP's PT program and I would not recommend going there if you have other choices. The only good thing about this school is that you finish in two years. Also the facilities are nice because the building is new but I'm sure it can't compare to the more big-time schools like USC or UW. The coursework is very fast paced because they have to basically cram all your didactic work into a year a half and I forgot a lot of things because of that. Also a majority of my class did not get along with the faculty and I personally felt that many of the professors were way under par in their teaching ability. I mostly learned from the books that were part of the curriculum. I would also like to add that its condensed into two years because you have no summer, only one week in between first and second year and one week in between your second and third internship in your second year. They have hired a couple new professors since I have been there and so far I have heard that those professors were better. If you have any other questions please feel free to PM me. I was pretty disappointed with their program.

I just graduated from UOP's PT program and I would not recommend going there if you have other choices. ... The coursework is very fast paced because they have to basically cram all your didactic work into a year a half and I forgot a lot of things because of that. Also a majority of my class did not get along with the faculty and I personally felt that many of the professors were way under par in their teaching ability.

I've been seriously considering University of Pacific, and was a bit disheartened to find this post indicating that the students do not "get along with the faculty." The post is from a couple of years ago, so I am wondering:
Has anyone else who attends or has attended U of Pacific had a similar experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats the link to this school

Is their any room for "leverage" or exceptions when it comes to their pre reqs. I am about to graduate with a bachelors in business...

Make sure you are not confusing University of Pacific (California) with Pacific University (Oregon)! :smuggrin:

Make sure you are not confusing University of Pacific (California) with Pacific University (Oregon)! :smuggrin:

Thanks jellybean2020! I'm talking about University of the Pacific in California, and I'm pretty sure the OP was as well, since he or she mentions that it is a two-year program. Their shorter DPT program is one of the reasons I am attracted to this school. I'd love to be earning rather than paying money by that third year!

I'm really hoping to hear from other folks who attend and have attended UOP, to see if they generally agree with the original poster or not.

For shawn2000:
I've heard they are very strict about prerequisites. Here is the website:
http://www.pacific.edu/x9640.xml

What about st augestine, are they strict about their pre reqs? I will be short a handful of science classes, just trying to figure out a way around it, their has to be....

WOW just looked at their cost of attendance. It was hard to find but it is on the application form. It may be only 25 months but at 79,000 (tuit, fees, housing, ins, etc) don't see how it comes out costing less than 3 years of private school. AND everything costs more in Ca. Unless they are providing state aid for students to survive.

WOW just looked at their cost of attendance. It was hard to find but it is on the application form. It may be only 25 months but at 79,000 (tuit, fees, housing, ins, etc) don't see how it comes out costing less than 3 years of private school. AND everything costs more in Ca. Unless they are providing state aid for students to survive.

Depending on how much one can pay off their student loans by working as a PT that third year, rather than being in school, it might be worth it. Also, I already live in California, and most of the private schools here are more costly than that. The city of Stockton is much cheaper to live in than the San Francisco Bay Area, where I live now.

However, I do want to be in a program that has a supportive learning environment, so I am still a bit concerned about DPTWarrior's post. If anyone on here attends or has attended U of the Pacific in Stockton, CA, I really would love to hear a bit more about the program.

Hey guys,

This may be alittle late since the application deadline is over. I was assuming I was done but I'm having seconds thoughts about transcripts; were we suppose to send our official transcript to the university? I read the supplemental app and it said it should be sent to PTCAS for sure, then for supp app, said we should send official foreign transcript; which means from out of country. So i didn't think we have to send the our transcript. And also straight from PTCAS it didnt mention transcripts for materials to be sent: "The supplemental application, GRE scores and verification of PT experience must be sent directly to the University of the Pacific by the required deadlines." But I'm rereading on how to apply to graduate program in UOP, and it saying you to sent official transcript. Getting confuse, and can't remember if i called them about it :confused: been calling many schools, sadly didn't keep track. I guess i'll call again... But let me know if you guys know the answer :D Thanks!!

Hey guys,

This may be alittle late since the application deadline is over. I was assuming I was done but I'm having seconds thoughts about transcripts; were we suppose to send our official transcript to the university? I read the supplemental app and it said it should be sent to PTCAS for sure, then for supp app, said we should send official foreign transcript; which means from out of country. So i didn't think we have to send the our transcript. And also straight from PTCAS it didnt mention transcripts for materials to be sent: "The supplemental application, GRE scores and verification of PT experience must be sent directly to the University of the Pacific by the required deadlines." But I'm rereading on how to apply to graduate program in UOP, and it saying you to sent official transcript. Getting confuse, and can't remember if i called them about it :confused: been calling many schools, sadly didn't keep track. I guess i'll call again... But let me know if you guys know the answer :D Thanks!!

PTCAS sends the transcripts so that you don't have to. You typically won't need to send in additional transcripts unless you are accepted to the program or if they request additional transcripts from you.

PTCAS sends the transcripts so that you don't have to. You typically won't need to send in additional transcripts unless you are accepted to the program or if they request additional transcripts from you.
Somewhere in the PTCAS instructions I read that they DO NOT send out your transcripts to the schools due to confidentiality or something. PTCAS does verify your grades via the official transcripts you sent to PTCAS. But they also told me they send a hard copy of your whole file to the schools. So go figure. Best bet is to always speak w/ someone on each campus/program.....and sometimes it doesn't hurt to ask the same question more than once.......you would be surprised at the different answers you can get. Use email and save the responses.
We do Acad Updates to PTCAS in Dec. w/ official transcripts...........I have found some schools; NAU< UNM-to name a few, require you to submit another set of official transcripts WITH the 2ndary grad. college app. And yes, yet another set of transcripts to any school you accept will require your final transcript went directly to the program w/ your BS/BA and last classes taken since your app was sent.
Advise you keep track. It can get confusing.:confused:

Hey guys,

Well, here you have it, directly from the UOP supplemental application. You send your transcripts to PTCAS, not to the school:

"Your PTCAS application should include:
1. PTCAS Web-based Application form (www.ptcas.org), comprised of biographical data, post secondary institutions
attended, academic course history, work experience, extracurricular activities, and essays.
2. PTCAS Application Fee.
3. Official transcripts from all U.S. postsecondary institutions attended.
4. Foreign Transcript Evaluation report for all courses taken at foreign institutions, which are not Study Abroad courses (if
applicable).
5. TOEFL scores (if applicable).
6. Three recommendations: one must be from an academic instructor from a school you have attended and one must be from
a physical therapist. Recommendations must be on PTCAS forms.

Your supplemental application to Pacific should include:
1. Supplemental application is comprised of additional biographical data, prerequisite coursework, and work experience.
Please submit your responses to all questions using the online application form.
2. Pacific's Supplemental Application Fee is ($50.00), payable to University of the Pacific. This non-refundable processing
fee should be submitted with the supplemental application and is waived for students currently enrolled at the University of the Pacific,
contact Office of Graduate Studies on how to do this.
2. Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores are sent directly from the testing board to the Office of Graduate
Studies at the University of the Pacific (Institution Code 4065).
3. Documentation of experience in a PT setting (PTCAS forms signed by a PT or letters on official facility letterhead must
be sent directly to PTCAS prior to Nov. 1, 2011. If observation hours are completed after Nov. 1, send verification of hours on
official facility letterhead directly to the University of the Pacific by July 15, 2012. (Office of Graduate Studies, 3601 Pacific Ave,
Stockton, CA, 95211). This documentation is required but does not need to be received in order for the application to be considered
complete.
4. Original foreign transcripts for undergraduate and graduate courses which are not Study Abroad courses. See "Special
Instructions for International Students" for details.
5. International applicants: See "Special instructions for International Students" for additional information which must be
supplied. "

Somewhere in the PTCAS instructions I read that they DO NOT send out your transcripts to the schools due to confidentiality or something. PTCAS does verify your grades via the official transcripts you sent to PTCAS. But they also told me they send a hard copy of your whole file to the schools. So go figure. Best bet is to always speak w/ someone on each campus/program.....and sometimes it doesn't hurt to ask the same question more than once.......you would be surprised at the different answers you can get. Use email and save the responses.
We do Acad Updates to PTCAS in Dec. w/ official transcripts...........I have found some schools; NAU< UNM-to name a few, require you to submit another set of official transcripts WITH the 2ndary grad. college app. And yes, yet another set of transcripts to any school you accept will require your final transcript went directly to the program w/ your BS/BA and last classes taken since your app was sent.
Advise you keep track. It can get confusing.:confused:

It does seem to depend on the program, as it seems to in your case, but all the schools I'm applying to explicitly state that transcripts are NOT to be sent directly to the program unless they specifically ask for it. And I've never heard/read in the instructions about PTCAS sending permanent files and/or not sending transcripts due to confidentiality.

Last edited:
It does seem to depend on the program, as it seems to in your case, but all the schools I'm applying to explicitly state that transcripts are NOT to be sent directly to the program unless they specifically ask for it. And I've never heard/read in the instructions about PTCAS sending permanent files and/or not sending transcripts due to confidentiality.

sending you a PM.

I am currently a first year student in the program and so far I really like it. The program is rigorous the first semester and you are in class a lot. So far I like the professors but I can definitely see where some would rub people the wrong way and there has been at least one class where I know I learned way more in my undergraduate course compared to here and it could use improvement. I'm really happy so far that I chose this program though, the professors respect you (at least so far!) and your classmates really are your family. Stockton is not a very fun place to live, but being around so many dedicated and fun people, makes the situation much better, not to mention, it's only 2 years and the cost of living is cheap.

They seem to have been taking feedback from past classes and supposedly are taking our feedback as well, so I think they are continuing to improve the program but I don't have much to compare it to.

Also I know they are pretty strict about all the prereqs, hours, GPA, letters of rec, etc, but when I went through the interview process I was told as long as you do have all those things complete or plan to complete the classes, you will get an interview and the interview weighs very heavily on your acceptance.

Has anyone have any more recent experience with the DPT program at UOP? I'm considering it, but need to know about the quality of their education.