University of NSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmyBass2011

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the University of New South Wales the only one that does not require an MCAT score? Thanks, Amy

Members don't see this ad.

first of all, UNSW medicne is undergraduate not post graduate..so MCAT will not be required. but an undergrad medical school entry test called UMAT is required.
However, if u already gained a bachelor degree and would like to go to UNSW to study medicine. they will still ask you to do either MCAT or GAMSAT.

hope it would be helpful!
good luck

chuncc said:
first of all, UNSW medicne is undergraduate not post graduate..so MCAT will not be required. but an undergrad medical school entry test called UMAT is required.
However, if u already gained a bachelor degree and would like to go to UNSW to study medicine. they will still ask you to do either MCAT or GAMSAT.

good luck

Thanks to our friend the US dollar I think you'll find MCAT = UMAT as far as admissions for international students go...

Members don't see this ad :)
chuncc said:

good luck

Are you sure about that? As far as I know UMATs are not required for International students! Only some places like U of Adelaide have their own "special" tests that they make internationals sit...but the majority of undergrad unis do not make internationals sit any type of test.

Other undergrad unis include

U of Tas
Adelaide
Monash
Melbourne
JCU
U of Western Australia

UMAT is not required if you are living outside Australia when you are applying to UNSW. It is required if you are living in Australia when you are applying to UNSW.

I had to take UMAT but for international students, based on my own experience, I don't think they put too much weight on UMAT. I didn't do too well in UMAT but I still got an interview (probably because of my MCAT, because they still consider MCAT if you don't do well in UMAT). Later, I declined an interview offer because I got into graduate medical programs.

Some undergraduate medical schools require UMAT. I recall, UNSW, UWA, Melbourne (if you are entering undergraduate) and Monash are the ones. UTas, Newcastle and Adelaide (their own aptitude test, costs AUD $75 so don't bother if you don't have a heart to go there) do not require UMAT I think.

If you want to apply to graudate medicine, in this year, there will be two new medical schools: University of Western Sydney and Griffiths. So overall, there are 7 medical schools for graudate entry at the moment. Contact them see if they accept international students. Also visit ACER website to confirm because I'm not good at recalling.

Good luck.