University Of Minnesota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree that a visit to both campuses would be best. However, my decision goes beyond location and population. I have heard that the teaching methods (although claimed as the exact same) are different. The distance between campuses is over a 3 hour drive (im from California by the way), and I would have to make the decision ON INTERVIEW DAY so I need to weigh everything prior to this date. Not to mention a full time job and interviews elsewhere in the country...

I just need some elaboration/clarification

With ITV, the teaching is essentially the same, though you may not have the main professor in your classroom as often up in Duluth. It's just the same as any other ITV class, if you've ever taken one. The teaching methods would be the same. From what I understand, there is more of an emphasis on rural pharmacy in Duluth because there are (were?) shortages of health providers in rural areas of Minnesota. Exposing students to the possibility of rural work is a goal for the pharmacy school so more providers go on to work in rural Minnesota.

I know the campuses are 3 hours apart, and yes, I realize many people come from far away and with super busy lives, but it would be in your own best interest to take the time ahead of your visit to see both places to see which one fits you best.

Members don't see this ad.

this thread has been dead quite a while for such a top ranked school lol. anybody have interviews coming up at either campuses? still waiting for a response from the admission committee this week

this thread has been dead quite a while for such a top ranked school lol. anybody have interviews coming up at either campuses? still waiting for a response from the admission committee this week

Which response is the admissions committee working on this week? I interviewed last Friday 01/28, and they told us to wait for response around Feb 21... So am just curious which interview date are waiting for response this week?

Members don't see this ad :)

I agree this thread has been very dead this year compared to the previous mn threads.
So who all is planning on going to minnesota next fall? (Judging by this thread - the class is going to be pretty empty).

Hopefully you get good news this week pharmd! And good luck to everyone else who is waiting for decisions or has upcoming interviews.

I agree this thread has been very dead this year compared to the previous mn threads.
So who all is planning on going to minnesota next fall? (Judging by this thread - the class is going to be pretty empty).

Hopefully you get good news this week pharmd! And good luck to everyone else who is waiting for decisions or has upcoming interviews.

unfortunately i got a rejection letter. sort of shocked/upset considering they nearly interview 70% of the applicants and a lot of the interviewed ppl get admitted. not sure if it would worked however if i got an invitation to the february 25 date since I have an interview at purdue the same day too.

but i hope the rest of you upcoming Golden Gophers enjoy the next 4 years at minnesota. btw u guys might wanna check out their summer elective in Germany, not too many pharmacy schools have this study abroad class where it counts towards your graduation.

here's part of the link
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/pharm/germanyabroad/

unfortunately i got a rejection letter. sort of shocked/upset considering they nearly interview 70% of the applicants and a lot of the interviewed ppl get admitted. not sure if it would worked however if i got an invitation to the february 25 date since I have an interview at purdue the same day too.

but i hope the rest of you upcoming Golden Gophers enjoy the next 4 years at minnesota. btw u guys might wanna check out their summer elective in Germany, not too many pharmacy schools have this study abroad class where it counts towards your graduation.

here's part of the link
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/pharm/germanyabroad/

When did you had your interview? i am kinda getting scared now

When did you had your interview? i am kinda getting scared now

well i didnt get an invite to the interview. im guessing my PCAT scores kept out of consideration (and they really low). i wont find out until two weeks later when im scheduled to ask what i was missing on my app

This wait it is killing me interviewed 1/28, i wonder if the next batch of acceptances will be by email as well i thought they said snail mail?, but for current students, what are the daily schedules for P1, im trying to figure out if I should continue to work or not, thanks for any info.

This wait it is killing me interviewed 1/28, i wonder if the next batch of acceptances will be by email as well i thought they said snail mail?, but for current students, what are the daily schedules for P1, im trying to figure out if I should continue to work or not, thanks for any info.

I also interviewed 01/28, and wait is torturing me.. but this is the week

hey pharm001, did they say we would know by the 21st? or they would meet the 21st?

If you are admitted, the send an email acceptance first, then a packet via snail mail. If you are rejected/waitlisted, they only send snail mail. I received my email the day after they told us that the adcom would be meeting.

The current year's schedules are on their website - just go to the "current students" part.

This thread has been really dead - I hope I am not all by myself next year!

I Interviewed on 01/28 and I was placed on ranked waitlist... :mad::mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are admitted, the send an email acceptance first, then a packet via snail mail. If you are rejected/waitlisted, they only send snail mail. I received my email the day after they told us that the adcom would be meeting.

The current year's schedules are on their website - just go to the "current students" part.

This thread has been really dead - I hope I am not all by myself next year!

i will most likely be there with you! gotta prepare myself for those snowy/cold minnesota winters

and good luck to those still waiting and those on the waitlist :xf:

hey pharm001, how did you find out that you were on ranked list? did you get an email or snail mail? and also they said they usually have to pull quite a few from ranked list so don't give up

I just got my acceptance email to the Twin Cities, Minnesota here I come!, so freakin excited!!:love:

From Colorado , so ill have a little bit of winter time experience, but not quite to the extent. Does anyone know when they offer the Deans nonresident scholarship? or has anyone already been offered?

From Colorado , so ill have a little bit of winter time experience, but not quite to the extent. Does anyone know when they offer the Deans nonresident scholarship? or has anyone already been offered?

i have no idea, i just assumed they were offered at the time of admission...but i may be wrong.

I Interviewed on 01/28 and I was placed on ranked waitlist... :mad::mad:
If it doesn't happen this year, I bet if you finish your degree and reapply, you'll get in. You know only about 7% of the U's accepted applicants don't have a 4 year degree! If you made it in without, you'd have to be super stellar! It looks like you have decent grades and PCAT scores, for the most part...just finish and try again. :)

If it doesn't happen this year, I bet if you finish your degree and reapply, you'll get in. You know only about 7% of the U's accepted applicants don't have a 4 year degree! If you made it in without, you'd have to be super stellar! It looks like you have decent grades and PCAT scores, for the most part...just finish and try again. :)

Thanks pharmschooler for the advice. That's the only choice i have now, unless something changes before this coming fall..

Thanks pharmschooler for the advice. That's the only choice i have now, unless something changes before this coming fall..
I knew a guy accepted from the ranked waitlist for med school the week before school began. It happens surprisingly often...up to the day of, sometimes. There's still a chance! :thumbup:

I'm wondering how many spots are left for 2011 applicants for the U...I feel like there was an update on the website last year.

I'm wondering how many spots are left for 2011 applicants for the U...I feel like there was an update on the website last year.

i know there was an update on the website last year and when i had my interview (end of october) they were updating the site but some time after my interview they stopped and left just the basic states for the 2011 year up on the site. maybe after the last interview they will update it again. does anyone remember when the last interview is supposed to be?

i know there was an update on the website last year and when i had my interview (end of october) they were updating the site but some time after my interview they stopped and left just the basic states for the 2011 year up on the site. maybe after the last interview they will update it again. does anyone remember when the last interview is supposed to be?

March 11 is the last interview date.

When I spoke with the pharmacy school about a month ago, they said they were considering adding another interview beyond March 11th, sometime around the 20th...of course that is old information now.

I came to the table a bit late as an applicant in general. Only just completed my supplemental recently (along with my Jan 22 PCAT scores). The U of M is absolutely my 1st pick!! Hoping it works out :xf:

Did anyone interview this past Friday?!? How did it go? what did you think of the University?

Don't be too bummed being placed on the waitlist. In fact the ranked waitlist has been good to many. Last year they went through 46 people on the ranked waitlist. I would be very confident if you are placed 30 or lower. Good luck and I know the wait sucks (Been there before) but I think you should be fine. The wait will be worth it!!!

Just received an invite to interview next Friday March 11th!!! Very Excited!!!:soexcited:

Just received an invite to interview next Friday March 11th!!! Very Excited!!!:soexcited:
I'm hoping that doesn't mean a flat-out no-interview rejection letter shows up in my mailbox later tomorrow. :xf:

Hope for the best, expect the worst! (congrats, by the way!)

**edit** Nevermind, invite showed up in my email unannounced. Phew! I was already trying to figure out my Plan B.

Last edited:
Congrats pharmschooler and everyone else who has heard good news! I'm going to be taking the PCAT this summer and applying for fall 2012, I'm already getting nervous haha

Congrats to the people who got in to U of MN...

I'm a relatively new member..this is my first post so bear with me! I've been having a little trouble deciding between schools...I got my acceptance letter from U of Mn - Duluth as well as the Albany COP in Vermont..

Minnesota was always my first choice (I'm from Toronto, Canada btw), but I just wanted to get some feedback from anybody about what school is regarded more highly and what program is considered 'better'? I know that U of MN is a highly ranked program, but does that also apply to the COP at Duluth as well, since the university website says that the program offered at both campuses is virtually 'identical'?

Anybody willing to provide any feedback is more than welcome...thanks so much

Congrats to the people who got in to U of MN...

I'm a relatively new member..this is my first post so bear with me! I've been having a little trouble deciding between schools...I got my acceptance letter from U of Mn - Duluth as well as the Albany COP in Vermont..

Minnesota was always my first choice (I'm from Toronto, Canada btw), but I just wanted to get some feedback from anybody about what school is regarded more highly and what program is considered 'better'? I know that U of MN is a highly ranked program, but does that also apply to the COP at Duluth as well, since the university website says that the program offered at both campuses is virtually 'identical'?

Anybody willing to provide any feedback is more than welcome...thanks so much

Good Question. The program is the same on each campus. You are separated for a few classes but again the material remains the same. Majority of the time the students placed on the TC campus like TC better and the students that end up in Duluth like Duluth. You have a great opportunity to attend an excellent university and I think you should take it!

Thanks for the reply, Bowler...my top choice when applying was alway U of Mn, but I guess I have to exhaust all resources in order to make sure that I'm comfortable with the decision as a whole now that it's a reality that I was accepted, since obviously this is where I'll be for the next 4 years!

Hey Bowler, I am attending the U of M in the Twin Cities next semester, I am a little confused on the rotations (IPPE) , in the schedule it says second semester we start those (with community first), and I also read something about doing them over a couple weeks in summer. So are rotations during the school year, as well as in the summer? and which semesters are they during?, thanks for your help

Hey Bowler, I am attending the U of M in the Twin Cities next semester, I am a little confused on the rotations (IPPE) , in the schedule it says second semester we start those (with community first), and I also read something about doing them over a couple weeks in summer. So are rotations during the school year, as well as in the summer? and which semesters are they during?, thanks for your help

Good question because I'm sure everyone is wondering about this as well. The IPPEs are put on your spring semester for credit wise, however, are done over the summer. IPPEs are 3 weeks long. You get the opportunity to place preferences of where you would like to be during that 3 week block and your preference of what time in the summer you would like to do the IPPE. This by all means is no guarantee that you will get this 3 week block or the location but about 95% of the time you get one of your top 6.

During the semester (Fall and Spring) you are also lined up with a pharmacist in the area and you do 10 hours of observation with them. This is really the only other thing to do outside of classwork (It does count for your EPhECT class)----works out nicely because you usually get a practice location not similar to one you worked for in the past.

Good question because I'm sure everyone is wondering about this as well. The IPPEs are put on your spring semester for credit wise, however, are done over the summer. IPPEs are 3 weeks long. You get the opportunity to place preferences of where you would like to be during that 3 week block and your preference of what time in the summer you would like to do the IPPE. This by all means is no guarantee that you will get this 3 week block or the location but about 95% of the time you get one of your top 6.

During the semester (Fall and Spring) you are also lined up with a pharmacist in the area and you do 10 hours of observation with them. This is really the only other thing to do outside of classwork (It does count for your EPhECT class)----works out nicely because you usually get a practice location not similar to one you worked for in the past.

Hi Bowler11, Not sure if you check them, but I sent you a private message re: pharmacy frats up at UMN. People in this forum might also be interested, I suppose.

Hi Bowler11, Not sure if you check them, but I sent you a private message re: pharmacy frats up at UMN. People in this forum might also be interested, I suppose.

There are 3 pharmacy fraternities at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities Campus and 2 on the Duluth campus. On the Duluth campus they have Kappa Psi and Phi Delta Chi (PDX). On the Twin Cities campus they have Kappa Epsilon, Kappa Psi, and Phi Delta Chi (PDX).

I am a current member of PDX. We are the only fraternity on both campuses that has a house. The house is about a 10-15min walk from campus in the very active part of town called Dinkytown. There are 14 students that live in the house and the rent is extremely cheap. For PDX members the cost is $310 a month and includes heat,electric, internet, cable, and off street parking.

This year we are actually already full for this year and next year as well (Sorry Pharmschooler :(). The house has been a very popular place to live for the past 3 years. Looking into it for your 2nd year would be a great opportunity. We do have preference on who goes into the house. 1. PDX members. 2. Pharmacy students 3. U of M students 4. Alumni 5. Everyone else.

I hope this doesn't discourage you from looking into professional fraternities. They are a great opportunity to get involved within professional events while also forming brotherhood. I have extremely enjoyed my time as a PDXer and it has led me to many leadership opportunities. I would be glad to tell anyone here about PDX....just PM me. The house is an awesome meeting place and we hold all of our meetings at the house. Having a house does make a difference in my opinion!!

Thanks for the reply, Bowler...my top choice when applying was alway U of Mn, but I guess I have to exhaust all resources in order to make sure that I'm comfortable with the decision as a whole now that it's a reality that I was accepted, since obviously this is where I'll be for the next 4 years!

Glad to hear!! let me know if you have any more questions.

Good luck to all!

I was wondering how the ranked waitlist/ unranked waitlist works at Minnesota?

Whoop whoop I will be attending the University of Minnesota on the Duluth campus!! I love the school and I'm definitely excited!! I applied and was accepted to other schools, but Minnesota is the best of the best...just can't turn that down!

I was wondering how the ranked waitlist/ unranked waitlist works at Minnesota?

I believe by the beginning of April (Not 100% sure the time) you will receive a ranking if you were on the ranked waitlist. They usually rank about 50 people. As spots open they offer admission to those on the waitlist. (Last year they went to 46 people).

If you put twin cities only and the spot is for Duluth then you will be skipped until a spot in TC is open. If you put either you will be offered a spot at whatever opened up at the time and you have to take it or leave it....no option to wait for the other campus!

If you were unranked you then wait to see if they go through the ranked waitlist and if they do then you will be ranked the same as above and everything follows the same way.

Hope this helped!

Congratulations Brittzy!!!

I just interviewed today in Duluth and am incredibly excited at the prospect of attending - I chose "Duluth Only" for my campus. They said it would take up to a month to hear back. Do you mind sharing how long it took from the time you interviewed, until you heard back? (and was it by email or snail mail). Waiting a month would kill me =)...they said they have one more interview day and would be waiting until ADCOM met after that; something tells me they won't wait a month to render a positive decision - otherwise they might risk good candidates having to accept offers from another school in the interim. (especially since most schools wrapping up most of their decisions right about now)

I also will be attending the University of Minnesota on the Duluth campus! I am soooo excited, can't wait for next fall!!!
Also, I interviewed on February 11th and got an email saying I was accepted March 4th.

Congratulations Brittzy!!!

I just interviewed today in Duluth and am incredibly excited at the prospect of attending - I chose "Duluth Only" for my campus. They said it would take up to a month to hear back. Do you mind sharing how long it took from the time you interviewed, until you heard back? (and was it by email or snail mail). Waiting a month would kill me =)...they said they have one more interview day and would be waiting until ADCOM met after that; something tells me they won't wait a month to render a positive decision - otherwise they might risk good candidates having to accept offers from another school in the interim. (especially since most schools wrapping up most of their decisions right about now)

I interviewed on February 11th and heard back on March 4th by email. Basically the email said congratulations you've been accepted to the University of Minnesota on the Duluth campus and to be on the lookout for your acceptance packet that would be coming by snail mail. I was told I would hear (acceptance/ranked waitlist/unranked waitlist/declined) by March 9th and was definitely excited and relieved to have heard earlier. If you don't get an email letting you know, then more than likely a letter is coming by snail mail letting you know you've been placed on either waitlist or have not been accepted, so hope for that email! Whatever date they gave you to expect your notification by is what to expect or half a week sooner. If you have any other questions let me know and good luck!! I hope I will see you in the fall!!

Congrats to everyone who got in!! I got into the TC in December and am pretty certain that is where I will be attending in the Fall :D

Wooooo!! I got in from the Feb 11th interview date at TC! I'm super pumped! Sending me Declaration of Intent in tomorrow. I'll see you all on orientation!:)

for all those who have interviewed... can you tell me how long i can expect the whole interview to be? (ie. does it begin in the morning and last until the afternoon?) i JUST received an invitation to interview on march 21st and it's REALLY hard to find flight tickets from CA to MSP...

for all those who have interviewed... can you tell me how long i can expect the whole interview to be? (ie. does it begin in the morning and last until the afternoon?) i JUST received an invitation to interview on march 21st and it's REALLY hard to find flight tickets from CA to MSP...

The interview is only ~40 minutes, with 1 faculty member. I believe there are around two interview periods, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. None of these periods last a whole day. The morning one goes from ~8:15 am to around 12:45 pm at noon. The afternoon one goes form ~1:00 pm to around 5:30 or so I think. The interview itself is relatively chill, though I got the feeling some of the professors may have just started getting themselves acquainted with your profile, so expect some very basic questions. The chief thrust of the process is why you want to become a pharmacist (as usual), how your function inside of it, and your understanding of the field. Interspersed are other ethical and career based questions. After the interview is a school powerpoint presentation,followed by a faculty introduction and finally a student panel, which was quite helpful.

For flights, it may be very late, but I think if you look for flights from two different airports close to each other, (i.e. leaving from San Jose then arriving at SF), your chances of finding a flight will be much higher.