University of Michigan Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
chopper said:
Hahahaha I'm passing the torch. I did my duty as 'that guy' on my last second look. This one is all you. :)

I can already taste the Jager. In fact I will have a few tonight to get warmed up.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm curious how many of you i actually met in real life.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was the kinda short taller guy with darkish-blonde hair.

Wow! Second look weekend was fun! I wish I could've gone out and partied with all of you, how much snow ended up on the ground. When I drove out of Ann Arbor at 4:30 (choke!) in the morning, there was about an inch.

I know I told some of you there's about an 80% probability that I'll be there in August. After this weekend, I'll say it's more like 90%. :D

Is anyone thinking of doing the prematric program in July?

Greetings:

My classmates and I had a great time meeting y'all this weekend. I hope you enjoyed the festivities, rounds, tours, etc, and I certainly hope to see many of you here in August. Michigan is a wonderful place to study medicine. Good luck with your decisions.

Surgeonizer :)

frantic983 said:
I was the kinda short taller guy with darkish-blonde hair.

haha, how specific! i actually don't want to match screennames to real people, because i like the anonymity of it all... well, not that like 10 people don't already know who i am in real life, but whatever. i just think it's funny that i got drunk with many of you guys, thinking i was meeting all these new people, when you are actually people i talk to on here.

Does anyone remember when the financial aid packages / merit scholarships go out? Anyone heard already? It seems that I can't open my email box without crossing my fingers that something's there.

Is it August yet? :hardy:

DianaLynne said:
Does anyone remember when the financial aid packages / merit scholarships go out? Anyone heard already? It seems that I can't open my email box without crossing my fingers that something's there.

Is it August yet? :hardy:

Did you get your estimate from the finanical aid office? If not, you can email them and they will send it in a few days. Not sure when the 'official' package comes out.

And I think all the merit money was given out by late March?

chopper said:
Did you get your estimate from the finanical aid office? If not, you can email them and they will send it in a few days. Not sure when the 'official' package comes out.

And I think all the merit money was given out by late March?

Late March! :eek: I thought it was end of April, beginning of May. Well, it seems like official word should be out soon, don't we need that info to make an informed decision two weeks from now?

I wasn't able to go to the 2nd look weekend. For those of you who did, what were your impressions?

DianaLynne said:
Late March! :eek: I thought it was end of April, beginning of May. Well, it seems like official word should be out soon, don't we need that info to make an informed decision two weeks from now?

There was a discussion on the admitted students web page board about merit money. The admissions office said that they make decisions by late March, and notify by mid april. Notifications are by snail mail.

As far as the rest of the package, I recieved an 'estimate' (unofficial) by asking the finanical aid office. I don't know when the official thing comes out, but I would expect in the next few days.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info about the merit $$$. I had actually just seen it on the admitted students website too. Oh well, having enormous student loans will only make me grow as a human being.

Thanks for the info about the merit $$$. I had actually just seen it on the admitted students website too. Oh well, having enormous student loans will only make me grow as a human being.

So, I've made my decision--I'm going to Michigan!

Any females looking for a roommate? I'd like to share a 2bedroom/2bathroom apartment. PM me if interested!

Welcome to the family, MadameLULU. My classmates and I will be here to welcome you in August. Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Hey guys,
I'm applying this cycle and UMich is def one of my top choices :D (i grew up in ann arbor but then moved to CT)....anyways, like the anal pre-med that i am, i thought i'd get started on the secondary esp since i'm going abroad from june till august--and i was just wondering if you guys had any advice???? The question i guess asks to pick a recent volunteer/service activity and describe how it impacted your decision to go into medicine. my decision was made more on family and personal illness, and although i have a few things i could write about (eating disorder counselor, research, shadowing), they all sort of influenced my idea of medicine rather than my decision to enter.....any thoughts/advice? I figured since u guys got in, you'd be the best to ask!! :laugh: thanks!

btw, congrats to u all! :thumbup:

LadyBulldog said:
Hey guys,
I'm applying this cycle and UMich is def one of my top choices :D (i grew up in ann arbor but then moved to CT)....anyways, like the anal pre-med that i am, i thought i'd get started on the secondary esp since i'm going abroad from june till august--and i was just wondering if you guys had any advice???? The question i guess asks to pick a recent volunteer/service activity and describe how it impacted your decision to go into medicine. my decision was made more on family and personal illness, and although i have a few things i could write about (eating disorder counselor, research, shadowing), they all sort of influenced my idea of medicine rather than my decision to enter.....any thoughts/advice? I figured since u guys got in, you'd be the best to ask!! :laugh: thanks!

From what I recall, the secondary asks us to list 4 specific activites and briefly describe our role and time involvement. Then it asks us to write a 400 word esssay about one of the activities. Perhaps you could include your personal and family illness as part of your personal statement...just a thought

Ok I know this is a random question that only those of you who went to second look could possibly answer...but do you remember when that guy at the student panel talked about teaching an undergrad course to get free tuition and room/board? Anyone remember his name? I think he was second from the right on the panel, can't remember his name but would be interested in pursuing that and he's the only place I know to start. Any help?

BravaItaliana said:
Ok I know this is a random question that only those of you who went to second look could possibly answer...but do you remember when that guy at the student panel talked about teaching an undergrad course to get free tuition and room/board? Anyone remember his name? I think he was second from the right on the panel, can't remember his name but would be interested in pursuing that and he's the only place I know to start. Any help?

I think they're called GSIs (graduate student instructors). I have a friend who just graduated from the SPH at Michigan and saved a lot of money by TA'ing classes.

Hallo all! My super procrastinator self has just started looking for housing, so if there's anyone out there that's looking for a 2 bedroom, let me know...I'm from around AA, so I can look at apts. pretty easily...k, see you all in the fall!

Arashii said:
Hallo all! My super procrastinator self has just started looking for housing, so if there's anyone out there that's looking for a 2 bedroom, let me know...I'm from around AA, so I can look at apts. pretty easily...k, see you all in the fall!

Arahii, I still have to find housing, but since I'm a guy I'd want to find another guy for a roommate. Are you male or female?

LadyBulldog said:
Hey guys,

hey! i lived in ann arbor for 4 years and then moved to TN, and now to TX, so i definitely understand your situation. umich is one of my top choices as well...now we just have to see if my mcat score will help me out! :thumbup:

best of luck w/ your apps!

MadameLULU said:
Did it work when y'all tried to create your uniqname? I'm having problems

I got mine working, but it took some working. Where are you getting hung up? You can PM if you want me to help you through it.

Last edited:
frantic983 said:
The computing system is giving me a hard time too. I entered all my info correct and when I got to the "your unique name is ......" page, I had a field for entering my password and re-entering my password. I entered what I wanted to be my password and then re-entered it. After submitting, I was kicked to a page that said:

" Our Records indicate that your attempt to reset your password on Thursday , 26 May 2005 05:26pm Failed with this message from the server: 'Your uniqname is not eligible to be reset.'"

if we are not allowed to reset our password, then was it included on some e-mail?

Anyone else getting this????

What are you guys creating a "unique name" for?

chopper said:
I got mine working, but it took some working. Where are you getting hung up? You can PM if you want me to help you through it.

Thanks Chopper. I actually called the IT department and they set it up for me.

So what do we do with this uniquename? Are we able to access anything with it now? Anyone have email access yet?

frantic983 said:
The computing system is giving me a hard time too. I entered all my info correct and when I got to the "your unique name is ......" page, I had a field for entering my password and re-entering my password. I entered what I wanted to be my password and then re-entered it. After submitting, I was kicked to a page that said:

" Our Records indicate that your attempt to reset your password on Thursday , 26 May 2005 05:26pm Failed with this message from the server: 'Your uniqname is not eligible to be reset.'"

if we are not allowed to reset our password, then was it included on some e-mail?

Anyone else getting this????

Nope, I didn't even get that far. The system said it couldn't verify my info. :confused: :confused: I would call the IT department...

MadameLULU said:
There was an email sent out earlier this week encouraging us to create one

Hmmm... didnt get the email. is there a way to get to it outside the email?

Last edited:
yes, it works very well

Does anyone know anything about the single graduate housing that Michigan sent the packet about recently? Do people do this who aren't married, or is it cheaper and more convenient to live in the med. school ghetto or whatever?
Thanks.

gomizzou said:
Does anyone know anything about the single graduate housing that Michigan sent the packet about recently? Do people do this who aren't married, or is it cheaper and more convenient to live in the med. school ghetto or whatever?
Thanks.

i haven't received anything from them since i sent my deposit..humm

Hi y'all. I don't know anything about single graduate housing, although I'm aware of a housing complex for married graduate students. The majority of incoming students opt to live in the med school ghetto or purchase one of the condos next to the ghetto; financially speaking, the latter option is the better of the two. If you purchase a condo right now (they're really nice), you'll live for free and make a substantial profit in 4+ years, because the real estate market in Ann Arbor is really good.

Honestly, your first year it doesn't really matter where you decide to live, because all the lectures are online and the labs, which are semi-mandatory, are in the afternoon. So a 15-20 min. commute wouldn't be a problem at all; you'd just have to park near a bus stop and ride the bus into the medical campus. I know several people in my class who opted to live outside of Ann Arbor; the rent is cheaper out there and the places are quite nice. Stay away from Ypsilanti, though; it's a real dump.

See y'all soon and enjoy the rest of your summer!

Everyone, don't forget to get your football tickets :).

russell578 said:
Just in case anyone is looking, I'm moving out of my condo on the northside of Ann Arbor--it is about a 10 minute walk from the med school, in a very quiet neighborhood close to the parks and trails along the Huron River. It's a 2 bedroom, so the 2nd bedroom could be shared with a roommate. Completely updated as of 2000 (maple cabinets, Pergo flooring in dining and kitchen area, new carpet, fresh paint, like new appliances including washer/dryer). Very reasonable price for Ann Arbor at $154,000. Call me if you're interested at 734-222-9498.

And I hope everyone enjoys Ann Arbor, it is a great town! I have lived here for 10 years (undergrad and masters) and am leaving only because I'm attending the rival MSU for med school--yes I'm a traitor. :eek:

:)

do you have pics??? what's the sq footage?

Woo hoo! Go Blue! Wow, I'm excited and ready to go! I'll be in A2 around the third of July. Anyone else doing the premat program? Let's all go eat at Zingerman's!

gomizzou said:
How much do season football tix cost?

About 150 bucks. You can link to the site on the admitted students page. I think the deadline is this Friday to buy season tickets.

Last edited: