University of Maryland School of Pharmacy 2011 Regular Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
on a side note, anyone looking for roomates for next year join the facebook group for class of 2015...but join anyways haha! :thumbup:

Hehe I've tried joining but I'm still waiting for confirmation :( It's only been a couple weeks since I've been accepted so maybe they're still waiting for my deposit before they confirm? I'm so excited I keep checking every few hours or so lol!

Members don't see this ad.

I bet its more a matter of the person running the group actually getting around to it.

what does everyone plan on doing next year as far as living arrangements go? i'm just curious to see if people are living solo or with roommates and either off or on campus. also where is everyone gonna live?

Members don't see this ad :)
what does everyone plan on doing next year as far as living arrangements go? i'm just curious to see if people are living solo or with roommates and either off or on campus. also where is everyone gonna live?
I live in MD.....originally, I was going to commute, abt 20miles and 30-50mins....however, am no longer sure abt the wisdom of dat. I'll probably now relocate....dat being said, I will not be too hooked on going too close to school, not dat if I get somthing reasonable I wont grab it!.....I guess whats ultimately gonna ignite me wld be access to my school loans, in which case i'll then have some bargaining power at least.
All in all, for me, its not about solo, 1 roommate, etc....what will ultimately the deciding factor will be a comfortable place to live with reasonable access to school then as I age over there I will knw more to make better decisions if need be....Holla

on a side note, anyone looking for roomates for next year join the facebook group for class of 2015...but join anyways haha! :thumbup:

Strange enough, I can't seem to find the group. :/

I just see the ones for Shady Grove.

Last edited:

I'm planning to live on-campus with roommates next year because this will be the first time I'm gonna be living out-of-state so far from home. I don't really know the area very well..and plus, I like hanging out/being around people. Roomies will probably be random at this point..unless I find people off the fb group..or if anyone's interested, I'm looking into Fayette 2-4 bedrooms at the moment! Just PM me! :D

Strange enough, I can't seem to find the group. :/

I just see the ones for Shady Grove..

I just got confirmed into the group, this one should be it: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=128076573910951

FINALLY got something from UMB in the mail yesterday! It's just a copy of the emails sent from Ms. Sharps, but still... :)

Congrats! If you don't mind, what are your stats? I am only asking because I think the waitlist is ranked accordingly.

I wish y'all would start introducing yourselves on the FB group! It makes me really excited to meet all of you!
As far as stats go....clearly they are not all that they look for. I have a TERRIBLE GPA (2.9)! , 85% percentile for math, chem and bio on the PCAT and still got in (no waitlist). I have published a few strong papers for my research but as far as academic stats go... I don't think that is a good indicator.

Hey everyone!

I was just accepted to the Shady Grove campus (SO EXCITED!!) Does anyone know where I can find information about housing near Shady Grove, and also where to look for potential roommates?

Thanks!

Congrats! If you don't mind, what are your stats? I am only asking because I think the waitlist is ranked accordingly.

Sorry if I caused you to misunderstand! But I meant that I received the paper-copy of the original acceptance email by snail mail. I was never on the waitlist. :scared:

Regardless, my stats are 3.5 GPA and 87 composite on the PCAT (93 chemistry and 89 biology with a poor 73 in quantitative ability). But like 9143 said, stats really aren't everything!

To add to my previous post:
Does anyone know if there is a facebook group or thread for Shady grove students?
Anyone planning or currently attending Shady Grove who is looking for roommates, send me a message!!

Members don't see this ad :)
To add to my previous post:
Does anyone know if there is a facebook group or thread for Shady grove students?
Anyone planning or currently attending Shady Grove who is looking for roommates, send me a message!!

The official facebook group is the same for both campuses (link is a few posts up)! I believe there is a housing thread for Shady Grove students, if that's what you're looking for :)

I got my acceptance email to SG yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
FYI I was on the waitlist after the interview...:eek:

Baltimore campus seems more popular to many...
but I think I will do better at SG :laugh:
I need somewhere quiet and green...to study...and
to walk my dog :p
I have my friend's family in Rockville, too :D

Did anyone happen to get financial aid information on SURFS yet? According to the financial aid calendar, pharmacy students are supposed to be awarded in April, but I haven't gotten any emails yet :(

Did anyone happen to get financial aid information on SURFS yet? According to the financial aid calendar, pharmacy students are supposed to be awarded in April, but I haven't gotten any emails yet :(

I got my "official" acceptance letter in the mail yesterday. It was dated April 15. Also came with my student ID number and SURFS information; I haven't had time to log onto it yet but I'll probably venture into it tomorrow(later today...)

I live in Seattle, so I am only assuming that other people should be receiving theirs in the mail very shortly?

Also got an e-mail earlier in the week from Patrice saying that all my pre-reqs were complete.

Congrats colossians31417! Do you know what number you were on the waitlist initially? (mid-March)

Hey question.... Has anyone or say have u guys been recieving th so called admission packages? I tot isaw someone from wahington say dey got theirs already....am in MD and yet! Just curious here

Hey question.... Has anyone or say have u guys been recieving th so called admission packages? I tot isaw someone from wahington say dey got theirs already....am in MD and yet! Just curious here

I'm in CA and I got mine, though it's more of a letter than a package :) Like a1park said, it's just a reprint of the acceptance e-mail and another letter with info about surfs and your ID#. I also got an e-mail about missing paperwork re: financial aid, so hopefully there's more information about that to come soon.

Hey guys, I guess I have a question for mostly other out-of-state students, but I was wondering how everyone was moving in. I was wondering if any of you are planning to fly over and move in on your own.

I won't have a car for the next year, so I was thinking of renting a car for a couple days, buying whatever else I needed, and then returning it. But I'm unsure what to do with overnight parking, especially since I'm unfamiliar with the area, I don't want to accidentally park too far from housing (I'll be in Fayette) or in a sketchy area. :/ Does anyone know if UMB provides temporary parking at all for students moving in?

Did anybody get an email for a background check from Certiphi Screening? Just want to make sure that it's actually requested from UMB and not some sketchy link :)

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if there was anyone that accepted Maryland but not sure if Maryland is there top school and just deposited there as a safety? I just really want to know what realistically is my chance to get off the waitlist. Thank you.

Got it here too.

Has anyone received or heard any word on the admissions packet yet?

I got two letters in the mail from Ms. Sharp a little while back, but they were just print outs of the emails we already received on UMB letterhead. Not much of a "packet," though. Don't know whether we're supposed to get anything in addition to that.

Did anybody get an email for a background check from Certiphi Screening? Just want to make sure that it's actually requested from UMB and not some sketchy link :)

I did not get an email for that, but i got one for a school that I had paid a deposit for earlier this year from the same company. I know it looks kinda sketchy with the layout and all, but it's legit. hopefully UMB will just use the same certiphi screening results that I previously submitted so I won't have to go through it again. :p

Hey guys,
I got into my top choice and will be withdrawing my acceptance from UMB once I make sure everything will go through! Good luck!

HI rchiem,

Congrats on getting into your first choice! I was just wondering if you were withdrawing your acceptance from Shady Grove or Baltimore campus? Also, I was wondering approximately when you will be withdrawing your acceptance because I don't want to call Patrice until then (because I feel like I have been bothering her). If you could just let me know that would be great :)

Hi all!
Congrats on all the acceptance letters!
My roommates and I are looking for 1 more roommate to fill a really spacious 5 bedroom/2 full and 2 half bath townhouse in the Camden Crossing community that is about a short walk from campus.
If any one is interested please feel free to message me for more info/pictures!

Thanks!

I got two letters in the mail from Ms. Sharp a little while back, but they were just print outs of the emails we already received on UMB letterhead. Not much of a "packet," though. Don't know whether we're supposed to get anything in addition to that.

You guys will get another packet, I know because student organizations had a deadline of May 11th to turn in anything they would like to be included in the packets sent out to the new students.

hey y'll... kinda quiet in here! sounds like somebody's making the best of the summer, b4 the 'war' starts! either way Ive got a question... am guesing u guys have bin filling ur financial aid docs and stuff right?... jst to make sure am on the right track I did sign and submit some stuff then did the entrance counseling thing/ did the mpns but its been soo quiet I have no idea if I signed the right things or not.....so I guess I want to find out hw far you guys are on stuff....holla!:)
<3

hey y'll... kinda quiet in here! sounds like somebody's making the best of the summer, b4 the 'war' starts! either way Ive got a question... am guesing u guys have bin filling ur financial aid docs and stuff right?... jst to make sure am on the right track I did sign and submit some stuff then did the entrance counseling thing/ did the mpns but its been soo quiet I have no idea if I signed the right things or not.....so I guess I want to find out hw far you guys are on stuff....holla!:)
<3

So did I, but looks like those still appear in my required items list :eek:

Which campus are you going to attend?

Question for current students: How much in out of pocket expenses would you say go towards school events? I'm trying to estimate how much to take out in loans for my first year...

has anyone not received the packet of stuff in the mail? on the facebook group juliana said she would send it last week but i have yet to receive mine!

So did I, but looks like those still appear in my required items list :eek:

Which campus are you going to attend?
Hey Hardrock.....I chose the bmore campus, and now a scrambling to get a car given that I plan to commute, atleast for this year, otherwise am toast lol!
For the welcoming day in june right? does anyone knw if a dress code is required ie mostlikely not business, but mayb business casual?, straight up casual?.....any ideas?

for any oldies in here! I as wondering about the loan disboursement schedule! I understand you get refunded the balance each semester, after all other school related expenses have been paid for. So my question is, does this mean that we would not see/recieve the balance before the opening day of school? ASking coz I was trying to to decide how much i needed for laons after other expenses paid, and a lot of it would depend on when I lay hands on the loans.....say if I were to stay on campus then am guessing I will have to pay the first month or two of rent upfront before waiting on the loans to go through? not sure atall about its disboursement schedule!

Hey Hardrock.....I chose the bmore campus, and now a scrambling to get a car given that I plan to commute, atleast for this year, otherwise am toast lol!
For the welcoming day in june right? does anyone knw if a dress code is required ie mostlikely not business, but mayb business casual?, straight up casual?.....any ideas?

Casual is fine, but remember, there will be faculty and officials there - its always best to make a good first impression, right? I would recommend khakis and polo or button down for men, equivalent for women. Look presentable. But there will never be any issue with dressing up a little more (slacks and a shirt) when going to a professional school.

tropicblogger said:
for any oldies in here! I as wondering about the loan disboursement schedule! I understand you get refunded the balance each semester, after all other school related expenses have been paid for. So my question is, does this mean that we would not see/recieve the balance before the opening day of school? ASking coz I was trying to to decide how much i needed for laons after other expenses paid, and a lot of it would depend on when I lay hands on the loans.....say if I were to stay on campus then am guessing I will have to pay the first month or two of rent upfront before waiting on the loans to go through? not sure atall about its disboursement schedule!

Call the financial aid office to find out when the disbursement for the pharmacy school for the 2011-2012 academic year occurs. It is different every year and different for each school.

rockinacoustic said:
Question for current students: How much in out of pocket expenses would you say go towards school events? I'm trying to estimate how much to take out in loans for my first year...

If you are unfamiliar with cost of living in Baltimore, I would recommend taking the maximum and returning the portion you do not use. You always have the opportunity to return as much of the loans as you want. You might pay interest on it in the meanwhile, but thats negligible compared to the mental stress of realizing you left yourself short of sufficient funds.

Just received my packet in the mail. Has lots of information including immunization requirements, Welcome Day info, textbook info, APhA info, other random stuff, and A SUMMER HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT. (how exciting!)

I am looking for a roommate male/female to share an apt with me for the Shady Grove Campus. The place is Avalon @ Decoverly. Driving distance is Less than 5 minutes from the school.

Link: http://www.avaloncommunities.com/avaloncore/nfloor.asp?comm=295

The price is variable depending on which apt you lease. i.e. A view of the lake is more expensive than a view of the parking lot. The range is $1600 - $1800 for a 2 bedroom 2 bath.

I am making an appt. for showing on Welcoming Day. My name is Justin Robinette so if you are interested on that day just ask if I have found a roommate yet. I'll be checking PMs here as well as the facebook group.

Alright. Got the packet. Have questions about student organizations.

Can someone give an overview of student organizations? There are two in the packet, Kappa Psi and APhA. What are the differences? Opinion on which is more useful? (Personal experience stories welcome) Can/should you join more than one of these student organizations? How much time do they take?

Hi everybody! I haven't been here in a while but I'm procrastinating on rotation work :p

About organizations....
There are 4 professional fraternities: KY, PDC, LKS, and AZO
KY and PDC are the 2 bigger ones. All of the fraternities have rush events at the beginning so you can go to all of them to meet people, have fun, eat free food, and decide which one (if any) you want to join. LKS has become somewhat more Shady Grove based. KY and PDC have a decent amount of Shady Grove members. AZO have started to become more revived these past couple of years. You can only join 1 though.

APhA is the main pharmacy student organization. And then there are a bunch of other more specific organization you can join depending on your interests. There will be an organization fair at Welcome Day and during Orientation week so you can find out more about each organization. Also, feel free to go to the first meetings of organizations, there's no obligation to join right away.

To join, fees per year depend on what organization you want to join. APhA is ~60, NCPA is ~50, SMdPhA is ~12, fraternities are >100, etc...

My recommendation is to join 2-3, more if you want. It's a great way to get involved in special projects and get to know your classmates.

That.... is actually pretty helpful. Thanks!

Organizations - There are too many organizations to list. They specialize in everything under the sun that you could want, and if we don't have it, start it yourself. The sky is the limit and the administration is very supportive.

Fraternities - All of them offer opportunities for leadership within the chapter, the chapter's region and nationally. Your level of involvement will determine what you get out of it. None are "superior" to the others - each places numerous students in Rho Chi (academic honor fraternity) and Phi Lamba Sigma (leadership honor fraternity). I recommend joining a fraternity simply for the sake that you will have enhanced networking opportunities without scope. What I mean by this is that if you join an organization with a specific focus, such as a group focused on only community pharmacy or health system pharmacy, your networking opportunities will be (generally) limited to people in those fields.

Administration - Some students apply for and are selected to serve on administrative committees within the school. These committees include the academic, curriculum, student affairs, and admissions committees. There may be some additional ones, but I don't remember. Its been a while...

Research - Most professors welcome students into their research groups. If research interests you, then I highly suggest you try and identify professors early... as in during the next two months before you get to school. Look up the professors' bios on the school website, narrow the list. Then look up their professional research (e.g. papers, posters, etc). Find the four or five you are most interested in, and then come August, schedule a time to meet with those professors and discuss how you can contribute.

Question wats the status with you alls financial aid? coz I still have unsatisfied requirements, and wonder if it is, a technical delay (as was said during the new stdnt welcome viz. that he still has a stack of papers to work through), or do I truely Have unsatisfied requirements.(ie fasa hasnt sent in my entrance interview data yet)?
To those who were present for the welcome day, financial aid said something to the effect that if u dint include parent informtion on the FAFSA, then one would not be eligible for the health proffessions loan! now correct me if I am wrong did he say they were going to make up for the differnce by simply awarding the difference from one of the other lenders? in which case, would'nt one have to fill different paper work? which leads me to wonder why how long we gonna b in the dark b4 suddenly realizng one has to sramble paper work through b4 finances go through?

Question wats the status with you alls financial aid? coz I still have unsatisfied requirements, and wonder if it is, a technical delay (as was said during the new stdnt welcome viz. that he still has a stack of papers to work through), or do I truely Have unsatisfied requirements.(ie fasa hasnt sent in my entrance interview data yet)?
To those who were present for the welcome day, financial aid said something to the effect that if u dint include parent informtion on the FAFSA, then one would not be eligible for the health proffessions loan! now correct me if I am wrong did he say they were going to make up for the differnce by simply awarding the difference from one of the other lenders? in which case, would'nt one have to fill different paper work? which leads me to wonder why how long we gonna b in the dark b4 suddenly realizng one has to sramble paper work through b4 finances go through?

contact josh leonard(guy who gave presentation), he's really helpful. other than that just click on the unsatisfied requirements and it will take u to where u need to be.

Hey everyone. So I recently was accepted off the wait list but now I gotta find housing. Was wondering if anyone still needed a roomate. I tried to join the facebook group but I'm still not in it. Thanks!

Hey everyone, this might be a silly question, but is anyone else (esp girls) having trouble with the lab coat sizings? I wasn't able to go to Welcome Day to get my sizing done, and though I've heard they do that again in orientation week, an email they sent me made it sound like I've missed my chance. I'm unfortunately a different size for each body measurement lol!

Did they give you a sizing chart? I would recommend going bigger if you aren't sure. One of the organizations, AZO, does a white coat sale every year in the spring so you can always order another one or 2 later if you don't like the fit.

Did they give you a sizing chart? I would recommend going bigger if you aren't sure. One of the organizations, AZO, does a white coat sale every year in the spring so you can always order another one or 2 later if you don't like the fit.

Yeah, they attached a sizing chart for men and women, but my measurements are very different for each body measurement (bust, waist, hips). Thanks for the advice/info though, now I know not to worry!