Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soccer_kiddo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not even sure this belongs here, but here goes. My brother is attending school at UAG and I'm not sure how good of a med school is. Some things just don't add up. I know he didn't do spectacular on the MCAT and his GPA wasn't stellar. I looked at the application and requirements and it seemed like a joke. I'm pre-optometry and need more classes than UAG requires (and they graduate DOCTORS!!!) I'm worried that he won't pass boards or something and he has to pay everytime he has to re-take a test. That was kinda weird to me. Plus, the whole thing is expensive and he's using up my parent's money. He tells me to go there to become a doctor, but I'm trying to stay here in the states and have decided that medicine isn't for me. It just bothers me because my parents are so proud of him for getting into med school and all that jazz. But is it really a good school? I've never heard of a medical school needing your jr. high and high school transcripts. Just seems too expensive for an insufficient education. He's mentioned that he may need a refresher biochem course before boards. Am I just jealous or is something really fishy about this school?

Members don't see this ad.

I work with a cardiologist who graduated from your brother's medical school, and as far as I can tell, he seems pretty competent. UAG and Caribbean schools are usually considered to have second-rate educations; most students don't go there by choice, they go there because they were rejected from all the US schools they applied to. That being said, I'm sure that UAG, like Caribbean schools, produce competent physicians that can and will be successful in the medical profession.

Don't worry about your brother or what your parents are choosing to do with their money. Worry about you and choosing what path in life is right for YOU.

the reason they ask for the jr and high school transcripts is because in Mexico, you don't do undergrad (BS) and then do the MD... you graduate from high school and go directly for the MD...
I hear its a good school... I know people, that know people that went there... they tend to put out good cardiologists and family med MDs...

with regards to your parents...
not everyone can get into a US school, but it took a lot for your bro to move all the way to Guadalajara to fulfill his dream... if he doesn't know spanish.... even more... you should be happy for him...

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked at the application and requirements and it seemed like a joke.
Maybe you need new prescription glasses :confused:

I'm pre-optometry and need more classes than UAG requires (and they graduate DOCTORS!!!)
I really doubt it that for optometry you need more classes than for medicine but again I am a little bit concerned with you 20/20 vision
I'm worried that he won't pass boards or something and he has to pay everytime he has to re-take a test. That was kinda weird to me. Plus, the whole thing is expensive and he's using up my parent's money. He tells me to go there to become a doctor, but I'm trying to stay hereplease do so :thumbup: in the states and have decided that medicine isn't for mesounds like a good plan . It just bothers me because my parents are so proud of him for getting into med school and all that jazz. But is it really a good school? I've never heard of a medical school needing your jr. high and high school transcripts just plain ignorance of your part ;) . Just seems too expensive for an insufficient education. He's mentioned that he may need a refresher biochem course before boards. Am I just jealous or is something really fishy about this school?[/QUOTE]

overall, I think you are just jealous and very ignorant. i would recommend do a search before you jump into so many ignorant conclusions. UAG has graduated many doctors working in the US. Good luck

Well, you need to understand the system under which the university is set. Like LuisitoMD said, in Mexico there's not such thing as pre-med college. You can jump straight into med school from high school. However, for international students from U.S. it is required to have a bachelor before attending med school at this university.
About expenses, it is really cheaper compared to any med school in the US.
UAG has a very good reputation in the U.S., and every year hundreds of med students from the USA and other latinamerican countries graduate from this med school.

priapoconstante said:
Well, you need to understand the system under which the university is set. Like LuisitoMD said, in Mexico there's not such thing as pre-med college. You can jump straight into med school from high school. However, for international students from U.S. it is required to have a bachelor before attending med school at this university.
About expenses, it is really cheaper compared to any med school in the US.
UAG has a very good reputation in the U.S., and every year hundreds of med students from the USA and other latinamerican countries graduate from this med school.

Its a great school to learn MEDICINE which will make you a great doctor ...however it does not or did not in the past teach you how to pass USMLEwhich is where people run into issues

[QUOTE=MSc44]Its a great school to learn MEDICINE which will make you a great doctor ...however it does not or did not in the past teach you how to pass USMLEwhich is where people run into issues[/QUOTE]

Well, they don't teach in class how to pass USMLE, that's right, but they bring Kaplan over to Mexico. And it is a requirement to pass USMLE step 1 before you can go over the clinical curriculum, and step 2 before you graduate, as I understand.