This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDPhDHopeful3985

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post! Anyways, I am currently applying to MD/PhD programs. I am a reapplicant. I was fortunate enough to be invited to interview with one of my top choices (top 3 or 5 schools). I'm preparing for this interview every day leading up to the interview, but I digress. So far this is my only II and I'm scared that it may be the only one. I have been thinking of sending a letter of intent to this institution after my interview. I know there is a risk of (well, what if a top 10 ranked school invites me, etc.) but I'm terrified of things not working out again. Besides, I will mention again that this is one of my top choices and I would be happy attending.

What are your thoughts? Should I send a letter of intent? Or a letter of interest? Do nothing? I'm pretty torn and am first-gen so I don't have anyone else to ask. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't send anything. Do not send anything to school A. unless you have an acceptance already at school B. that is higher tier than school A. and you 100% want to go to school A. instead of B. but only after the interview. The other exception is if you were waitlisted then you can send a letter of intent. Sending a letter after an interview before you even hear back about a decision exudes neediness.

Reactions: 2 users
I have been thinking of sending a letter of intent to this institution after my interview. I know there is a risk of (well, what if a top 10 ranked school invites me, etc.) but I'm terrified of things not working out again.
And this is why letters of intent hold almost no weight. People always intend to attend.. at least until a scholarship or "better" school comes along.

Also, be careful not to sound too rehearsed or look too nervous during the interview. Good luck

Reactions: 5 users
And this is why letters of intent hold almost no weight. People always intend to attend.. at least until a scholarship or "better" school comes along.

Also, be careful not to sound too rehearsed or look too nervous during the interview. Good luck
Thanks. I'm trying hard to not sound rehearsed. I only have my research mentor and mom to practice with but they both said I don't sound rehearsed and act confident. I'm hoping it stays that way lol

Thanks. I'm trying hard to not sound rehearsed. I only have my research mentor and mom to practice with but they both said I don't sound rehearsed and act confident. I'm hoping it stays that way lol

If you are like me, whatever you are rehearsing now will be so different from what your idiot brain decides to spew out during your first real interview....

I walked out and was like "Dude, that was NOT what we practiced"

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Don't send anything. Do not send anything to school A. unless you have an acceptance already at school B. that is higher tier than school A. and you 100% want to go to school A. instead of B. but only after the interview. The other exception is if you were waitlisted then you can send a letter of intent. Sending a letter after an interview before you even hear back about a decision exudes neediness.
I see. I won't send anything in that case (unless the decision is a waitlist). I definitely don't need to sound needy lol. Do you think I can say something to the director regarding how interest I am in attending? I think this would be easily brought up if asked "why should we admit you" but I'm wondering if there is another way I can slide that in. Just trying to move forward and attend one of my top choices haha

If you are like me, whatever you are rehearsing now will be so different from what your idiot brain decides to spew out during your first real interview....

I walked out and was like "Dude, that was NOT what we practiced"
Yikes I hope not :/ or that it is an improvement from what I practiced. I think its a matter of staying calm under pressure. I've had so many interviews over the last 4 years that I've at least become good at masking any nervousness and, despite being nervous, focusing and delivering my answer. I just hope it works on the actual interview date!

Yikes I hope not :/ or that it is an improvement from what I practiced. I think its a matter of staying calm under pressure. I've had so many interviews over the last 4 years that I've at least become good at masking any nervousness and, despite being nervous, focusing and delivering my answer. I just hope it works on the actual interview date!

I hope so too man, good luck

If you are honest during your interview, you can practice saying what's on your mind when a question is asked and genuinely backing it up with whatever experiences you have. It is very hard to BS an answer on the fly, but very easy to eloquently speak from the heart.

If you are honest during your interview, you can practice saying what's on your mind when a question is asked and genuinely backing it up with whatever experiences you have. It is very hard to BS an answer on the fly, but very easy to eloquently speak from the heart.
Got it. Thanks for the advice

I see. I won't send anything in that case (unless the decision is a waitlist). I definitely don't need to sound needy lol. Do you think I can say something to the director regarding how interest I am in attending? I think this would be easily brought up if asked "why should we admit you" but I'm wondering if there is another way I can slide that in. Just trying to move forward and attend one of my top choices haha
During the interview you can explain that it is your top choice, but don't forget to elaborate why it is and with examples particularly from experiences with the school if you have any which will make your pitch must stronger

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

This is my first post! Anyways, I am currently applying to MD/PhD programs. I am a reapplicant. I was fortunate enough to be invited to interview with one of my top choices (top 3 or 5 schools). I'm preparing for this interview every day leading up to the interview, but I digress. So far this is my only II and I'm scared that it may be the only one. I have been thinking of sending a letter of intent to this institution after my interview. I know there is a risk of (well, what if a top 10 ranked school invites me, etc.) but I'm terrified of things not working out again. Besides, I will mention again that this is one of my top choices and I would be happy attending.

What are your thoughts? Should I send a letter of intent? Or a letter of interest? Do nothing? I'm pretty torn and am first-gen so I don't have anyone else to ask. Thanks!
How would you interpret a nonbinding contract from a desperate applicant?????