Unfilled programs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arteg

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about the accuracy of these reports about all these unmatched spots. I read a post by a resident in a surgery program who said: "someone is always saying that my program (among others) had unfilled spots, which we never have had in the history of the program. We are approved for 6 prelims, but we never take more than 2 (although we are flooded with applicants for these spots), so that shows up on Scutwork or wherever as 4 unmatched prelim spots. This is not, in any way, shape or form, the same thing as not filling categorical positions." !!!
I'm just curious, what was the "REAL" list of unmatched spots & how can we find it?

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, there exists no infallible list of open spots. When referring to the unfilled Categorical spots (whether for gen surg or another specialty) people are referring to the list provided each year by the NRMP. You can view these lists from a link on the homepage at: http://www.scutwork.com

However, as you note in your reference to a previous post, not all spots listed are offered as positions (although I believe this will soon be in violation of NRMP rules), or programs may be "approved" for more residents than they offer (ie, we are approved for several more Prelim spots than we actually fill in the match, leaving posts open at times for others post-match should we need them). Some programs choose not to fill all spots offered, perhaps feeling that the quality of the applicants isn't such that filling the spot would be in the best interest of the program.

I doubt anyone has a comprehensive list of how many people programs "really" take or what the reasons are behind those that don't fill (ie, in the past IMGs could take pre-match offers and supposedly some spots listed as not being filled in the match were filled by these applicants).

Originally posted by Kimberli Cox
(ie, in the past IMGs could take pre-match offers and supposedly some spots listed as not being filled in the match were filled by these applicants).

Now, you have to not declare these spots (ie, my program is approved for 5 IM prelims, but only puts 2 in the match). If my program listed all 5 for the match, and signed people outside, that is a violation. However, you have to be pretty dim to do this, because the numbers aren't permanent until the end of January (so, to have your spots, then sign someone in February, the only way not to be in violation is to ensure that that person ranks your program high enough (like #1), and you rank them in the top 5 - which sounds pretty complicated).

does this mean that I can't get the true # of unfilled posts after the match ?!!

Originally posted by arteg
does this mean that I can't get the true # of unfilled posts after the match ?!!

That is what that means. I am unaware of any lists which have accurate data on post-match spots (ie, including scramble filled position). You can contact individual programs for further information.