Unfair Preceptors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I flat out don’t believe it happened. The students could have misheard or invented the story. The workers could have been gossiping about something they have no knowledge about or just speculating. There are so many possibilities besides taking every word at face value.

I could maybe believe your suggestions for simply writing a bad LOR but encouraging someone to apply just to sabotage them is borderline psychopathic behavior and I am very skeptical that it played out that way.
you’d be surprised how sneaky preceptors can be with students.

then why do you think that preceptor who was causing enmity between 2 students & gave lower grade to the student who didn’t kiss a** vs the student who did? What’s that preceptor’s reasoning? Last time I checked evaluations aren’t supposed to compare one student with another

Members don't see this ad.

you’d be surprised how sneaky preceptors can be with students.

then why do you think that preceptor who was causing enmity between 2 students & gave lower grade to the student who didn’t kiss a** vs the student who did? What’s that preceptor’s reasoning? Last time I checked evaluations aren’t supposed to compare one student with another
I agree that comparing students isn’t ideal or professional. But preceptors are humans too and it’s possible they were just trying to give helpful feedback. If one student is displaying a behavior that the other student is lacking perhaps the preceptor thought that could be a good example/learning experience. It’s not my method but it’s not so egregious that I would automatically assume malice.

As for the a** kisser, that’s how you are choosing to frame it. I doubt that student or preceptor would frame it that way. Were the students literally identical in every way except one sucked up and the other didn’t? I highly doubt it. Did the suck up prepare better, have a stronger knowledge base, participate more in activities, etc. So many non-sucking up factors could be at play.

To play devils advocate, even if the preceptor did grade differently based on sucking up, they are still human and it sounds like one student played the game better. Is your pride worth more than a grade?

That would be extremely unprofessional.

Man, I remember at one of my rotations, the student that was there with me was really flirty with this technician. They're married now. But I wonder, if he had any feedback about rotation students. I know at my current worksite, the preceptors do ask the technicians input about how the students are.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm quite surprised the responses on this thread are civil and cordial. I was expecting a flurry of responses beating down OP for being a snowflake.

And five bucks OP will down vote this comment

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I’ve never seen actual Pharmacists even present Journal clubs. It’s usually doctors. So what’s the point of them as students? Even the authors of those journals are doctors never pharmacists
I literally presented a journal club yesterday -the authors were pharmacists - I referenced my own published study in the review (yes, I am a published researcher)

I will echo the sentiment that there are good and bad people everywhere, including preceptors. I will also say I know of a few situations where students were not at all self-aware about how poorly they were performing and blamed the preceptor.
this x 1000 - I am the furthest thing from a hard preceptor, but it is amazing how often I ask a student to grade themselves and how woefully unaware of their own performance they are. I mean, at least I admit I was a lazy student and skated through,

Reactions: 1 users
I'm quite surprised the responses on this thread are civil and cordial. I was expecting a flurry of responses beating down OP for being a snowflake.

And five bucks OP will down vote this comment
I was expecting that too from SDN but I guess y’all learned that you can’t negate someone’s experience. This is not court, you don’t get to hear the opposing party. The title of this thread is unfair preceptors so I don’t understand why y’all coming here going like “No you ducking snowflake this didn’t happen. It couldn’t have. You probably ticked them off you Olaf. You’re the problem. You have no self reflection you lazy student”…
This isn’t a general case here. It’s specific to what me and my classmates went through. Obviously not every rotation was unfair but again title of the thread UNFAIR preceptors

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.