UNECOM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. both mean that you are in line, and ASA (Accept-Space Available) simply means that you are towards the front of the line.

Thank you!!! Much appreciated!

Anyone else interviewing on Thursday?

Members don't see this ad.

Letters went out yesterday.

I just called. :)

Letters went out yesterday.

I just called. :)

Thanks for the info!..I received certified mail yesterday (no joke!) and didn't get home in time...didn't sleep all night and flew to the post office for 730am...but it was all worth it....

Interviewed 3/12
Accepted today!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info!..I received certified mail yesterday (no joke!) and didn't get home in time...didn't sleep all night and flew to the post office for 730am...but it was all worth it....

Interviewed 3/12
Accepted today!!!!!!!!

interviewd 3/12 and got accepted yesterday... see you all in Aug.... Btw ill be lookin for an apartment.... pm me if anyone wanted to room

I interviewed on 3/19 and spoke with Admissions today--the AdCom met today and notifications should be going out by early next week. Here's hoping for some good news! :xf:

Congrats you guys!!! Can't wait to meet you :)

Hello,
I interviewed on 3/17, and am (impatiently) waiting to hear. I'm hoping to find out this week - Any one else in the same boat?
I know we find out via mail if it's an acceptance, what about if it's a rejection or waitlist? Also in the mail?

Thanks for the help/support!!

So, I received a letter stating that I will be accepted if space in the class becomes available. Does any one know how much movement there typically is on UNE's ASA waitlist?

Thanks!

So, I received a letter stating that I will be accepted if space in the class becomes available. Does any one know how much movement there typically is on UNE's ASA waitlist?

Thanks!

Not completely sure, but from what I hear the ASA waitlist is high priority. Students who were on the ASA from last year were offered spots in this year's class...so it's pretty hopeful for you..and with May 15 still far off...I would say good chance!

Thanks!

Did you receive the letter yesterday?! When was the letter dated?

The letter was dated March 27, I recieved it April 10.

Anyone have any idea when the April 2nd interview letters will arrive or when they will be sent? I was just invited to another interview on 4/24 that will cost lots of money to go to, and I don't plan on going if I get in at UNE.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was interviewed on 3/31, and I was told that AdCom meets tomorrow and letters will go out early next week. Also, they told me the class is full so they are starting to build the ASA list. Hope that helps!

good to know! Good luck. When did they tell you the class was full? When I interviewed on the 2nd, they said the class was only 3/4 full.

I spoke with Lisa Lane from admissions yesterday actually. She said only half of people accepted have paid their deposits so I'm guessing that's why they are still interviewing and accepting people!?

I spoke with Lisa Lane from admissions yesterday actually. She said only half of people accepted have paid their deposits so I'm guessing that's why they are still interviewing and accepting people!?

I thought they were finished interviewing. Does that mean they're not?

I think they are done offering interviews, but I was told that next week they are still interviewing people. If the class is full though I don't really understand why they keep interviewing all the way through April.... I guess to build a waitlist?

I interviewed on 2 April, and I called last wednesday (8 april) and they said they were meeting on that thursday (9 april) and that a decision would be made on my file then. They also said on the interview date that there were only about 90/124 seats spoken for... Also i read somewhere that after 1 April that people only have two weeks for people to make a deposit for their seat.

I wish they would just post on here and tell us what is going on.

sigh.

They are finishing interviews this week....

So the class is officially full.... got an ASA letter today. Anyone know how many people are typically on the ASA list? I really really hope I have a good chance!?!

Any accepted students out there receive a letter outlining the OSHA/HIPPA training for our matriculation?

Any accepted students out there receive a letter outlining the OSHA/HIPPA training for our matriculation?

No, I have not gotten anything like that so far. I did get a packet on Wednesday with a welcome letter and some literature about Biddeford. Have you received a letter?

You'll get it. I think the third years are keeping the admin staff busy right now -- we're innundating them with paperwork for away rotations, LORs, MSPEs, problems scheduling our PE exams, etc. We're in high gear right now.

As for the HIPPA and OSHA training, I think we had to do that in June or July before our MSI year. It's all online, and it sucks away a few hours of your life that you'll never get back. But pay attention and read every screen - the questions are detail oriented and you have to pass. You'll get to do an abbreviated course every year from here on out. That reminds me - I have to recert those two courses next month. :rolleyes:

You'll get it. I think the third years are keeping the admin staff busy right now -- we're innundating them with paperwork for away rotations, LORs, MSPEs, problems scheduling our PE exams, etc. We're in high gear right now.

As for the HIPPA and OSHA training, I think we had to do that in June or July before our MSI year. It's all online, and it sucks away a few hours of your life that you'll never get back. But pay attention and read every screen - the questions are detail oriented and you have to pass. You'll get to do an abbreviated course every year from here on out. That reminds me - I have to recert those two courses next month. :rolleyes:

If you don't mind me asking, have you set up all of your away rotations for next year? Was it much trouble? What's the process?

I've submitted the paperwork for rotations up to New Year's. Got a couple set in stone, waiting on the rest. I'll set the ones for next year depending on what I get for my aways. Not too much trouble - the worst is figuring out what you want to get, where you want to go, and of the places you really want to get to before/during interview season what they offer for clerkships. And of course you have to schedule your second step boards in there too. Most clerkship applications these days are online.

Hey Gang, From a first year (soon to be second-year) congrats to all who are accepted, and hang in there to those on the ASA list! We'll see ya in the Fall!

Does anyone know how much of last year's class came off of the ASA list?

Also, is the ASA wait list ranked?

(I'm trying to get some vague idea about what my chances of getting in off this list will be...) Thank you!

Hi everyone. I was recently accepted to UNECOM and want to go there so much. The problem I have is that it turns out that I won't be able to attend this year because of a private matter. I know that in the AACOM book, it says that UNECOM does not defer acceptances to the following year. Does anyone know if that policy is set in stone? Have they ever allowed deferments in the past?

Call them, explain the situation, and ask. They have deferred in the past - for things like spouse dying, parents with terminal illness, etc. Getting married isn't a good excuse.

Hi UNE-hopefuls... just wanted share my update: I spoke to Admissions today and they have started taking people from the ASA list as of last week (2 so far). :luck:

Accepted today from ASA!!! :soexcited: Good luck to all still waiting.

Congrats on being accepted! Did you find out via email, regular mail, or calling admissions? I'm also on the ASA list and I'm dying over here!?!

Good to know there are others anxiously awaiting news from UNECOM. I'd also like to know how we might hear...email? regular mail?

Thank you!

Congratulations to those attending UNE!!

Question from someone about to start the application process. The tuition at UNE is about 41K a year for in-state and out of state, right? What is the cost of attendance? I know the cost of living in New England is expensive so that concerns me. Is it more than 60 a year? I'm trying to keep my list of schools somewhat rational and cost is the deciding factor.

Congrats on being accepted! Did you find out via email, regular mail, or calling admissions? I'm also on the ASA list and I'm dying over here!?!

Thanks! :) They sent me an e-mail that offered my acceptance and asked me to call the Admissions office by Wednesday (yeah, thanks for the leeway but I did it in the next 2 minutes--when I could stop reading and re-reading the e-mail while listening to a dial tone). The phone call is just to make sure that you'll still accept the position and then they'll send you an actual letter via certified mail. Within 14 days of receiving the hard copy letter you need to send in your $500 deposit on the seat.

I have also heard from people (DOs) who have spoken to the Admissions Committee that they commonly go 20-30 deep in the ASA list before filling the class. That being said, I don't know how "deep" the list is. I do know I was in the top 10.

JJ-As someone who currently lives in Portland I can say that there is affordable housing to be found in ME/New England, especially if you don't have to live in the city or on the waterfront. Check out craigslist to get an idea.

:luck: Luck! :luck:

Last edited:
Thanks Asystole and congrats for getting in!!

I'm not picky about where I live necessarily. I just want an estimate of how much the cost of attendance will be with all the fees and cost of living and all. Did they give you guys an estimate on interview day?

It's all on the UNE website. How much tuition is. How much they allow for living expenses, transportation, food, books, etc.

My financial award total eligibility, which is basically what you're looking for here, is $71,000 for the first year. Its 46 total for tuition fees and insurance, and around 24 for living expenses. I don't think all four years cost the same amount, but thats probably a good general estimate (60-80 per year?)

Thanks Sarah!! That's exactly what I was asking!

Hello all:

I know that this thread is for UNECOM. However I wanted to know if any of you are current UNE alums, and if possible could you give the future UNECOP students any feedback as to life in Portland Maine/UNE, apartments, your thoughts as to the new COP program, weather(I will need a lot of help here adapting b/c I have lived in the south my whole life), etc at the following thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=598512&highlight=une

I will be starting the UNECOP program this fall as well as my future classmates, and we have a lot of questions to ask you all (if you don't mind). This would be greatly appreciated:)

Hi All,
Accepted today from ASA list! Good luck to those still waiting. Can't wait to meet you all...

Congrats J515! I knew you'd get in. :clap:

I know someone who is in the 3rd quartile of the wait list. Any chance she will get in?

Can any unecom student tell me when the school requires students to submit to the background check for matriculation.

When do classes start this year?? Anyone know?

Thanks!

When do classes start this year?? Anyone know?

Thanks!

Says August 12th on that pink sheet you'll get at some point - but there's orientation before that and a rafting trip (yay!)

I'm planning on being up there around August 1st to settle in.:)

Hey guys,

Wanted to make sure everyone knows there is another thread on sdn for accepted students- unecom class of 2013. We aren't as exciting over there but some of the questions you're asking have already been asked and answered on that thread so it may be worth checking out.

Congrats to all the recent acceptances!

and J515- is that your dog? Are you taking him/her with you to school? Looks like my dog, who I want to take to school with me but people I talk to are scolding me saying I won't have time...

but Shyrem, aren't you're doing well with children at home?! (and clearly you have time to cook amazing meals as well...) How could a dog be anywhere near as hard as that?

A dog doesn't go to the bathroom in the toilet. And never learns to. They need someone to be home to play with them, take care of them, feed them, bathe them. Unless you want to take them to doggie day care (and I think most of those places require at least intermediate dog training completed).

I did fairly well with two children at home. However, for third year I was away from Portland. So I spent every weekend I had free at home. But not everyone does so well with children at home. Many take more than the normal four years for med school as they find parenting and med school together to be a bit much. (Personally, I did without sleep.)

Status
Not open for further replies.