UNECOM class of 2010!! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
docbill said:
Hey Jeff... I guess we owe you a congrats and welcome on getting accepted off the waiting list. Great job. Sorry that not everyone can get off the list.. but that is great advice to send a detailed letter of why you want to attend and ask to get into the class of 2011.

Trust me, I took a year defferal and it goes by fast. You can do some of the things you always wanted to do durring this time.

Best
dBA
Thanks for the well wishes. I can't begin to tell you how good it feels to be here.

Members don't see this ad.

Sweet J said:
Hi everyone! Congrats on your decision to join the UNECOM family. I'll tell you right now that you've made a great choice :) I'm an outgoing MS2/soon to be MS3 about to move out on rotations and have some furniture that I need to sell before I leave for life on the wards.

- Double bed (2 years old) with box spring and frame
- Desk with shelf
- medium sized dresser
- 3 piece couch set

I also have assorted odds and ends from around the house that I may just throw in as a bonus if you're going to buy any of the bigger items.

If you're interested, please email me at [email protected] or [email protected] and I'll send you pictures and more details and we can talk prices.

I hope you're all taking full advantage of these last few weeks of freedom because all the fun stops on the first day of school ... Only kidding! Take it from me, the fun is just beginning :D

Joanie

Hey Guys,

I just emailed you the pictures to your UNECOM 2010 email account. I converted it to PDF and sent it to everyone in case someone is interested. I would like to take the small sofa if someone is interested only in the big one.

B

docbill said:
Hey Guys,

I just emailed you the pictures to your UNECOM 2010 email account. I converted it to PDF and sent it to everyone in case someone is interested. I would like to take the small sofa if someone is interested only in the big one.

B

Where is everyone?
I completed the OSHA CBT, now for the HIPPA...
Cheers,

Members don't see this ad :)
fozziewan said:
Where is everyone?
I completed the OSHA CBT, now for the HIPPA...
Cheers,

Hey Steve,, they were not out with me tonight that is for sure.

I did not do any of the online courses.. nor am I ready to do anything. I still can't believe we will have to do anatomy in 3 weeks or so. How is biddeford. Are you getting use to the fast life or not yet???

BTW, I can't go rafting :( But I will be there on the last week on July. Like July 30th or something like that. Got to arrange to get a Matress and desk.. hmm good times.

Best,
BA

Husband flew out this morning to Portland to look for a job and a house. Wish him luck... we're soon to be homeless.

ShyRem said:
Husband flew out this morning to Portland to look for a job and a house. Wish him luck... we're soon to be homeless.

Best of luck to you both ShyRem! I hope he gets something he likes.

You on the other hand will have fun AND have your hands full shortly with all the studying.

Hope the sort of little ones are well!!

Wook

So.. I have been living in biddeford for about 3 days now....I have done everything I possibility could do for settling down at the new place.. and now i'm bored to death :).... is anybody around.. play tennis or sumthing... drop me a note heh..

Hey guys,
If anyone is still looking for housing I am renting a 2 bedroom apt. in biddeford pool and am looking for a roommate. It's close to school and overlooks the ocean and most, if not all, the tenants, are med students. Rent is $500. If you're interested, email me at [email protected] Thanks!

-Wendy

So am I given to understand that orientation starts in about 2 1/2 weeks and we STILL don't have a schedule???? doesn't that seem a bit.. um.. disorganized to anyone else?

ShyRem said:
So am I given to understand that orientation starts in about 2 1/2 weeks and we STILL don't have a schedule???? doesn't that seem a bit.. um.. disorganized to anyone else?

Its just orientation.. its not a big deal. There really is not need to get concerned. We just need to get to know everyone and the school (small schooL). Plus maybe there is a whole plan in place, but we don't need to know what it is. SURPRISEEEE.

I think the school is planning on updating us the schedule/details during the orientation (hence orientation). don't you remember your freshman orientation in college? the first week you basically did nothing except getting updated with the plan lol.

As a non-trad, my last freshman orientation was in 1984. Nope, don't remember it.

But also as a non-trad, without a schedule my children will probably have to be with me during orientation while my husband does things for his prospective job (no, he ca't reschedule them). I am unable to make plans for my kids without knowing what plans to make.

And I'm a little stressed. Packing a house, leaving my home next week, driving across the friggin' country with two kids and two dogs, and I feel really up in the air right now. I'd really like some kind of plan in some part of my life. I don't even have a place to move to right now (but hopefully my husband is rectifying that situation this week).

Perhaps I just need a really good cry right now. :(

ShyRem said:
As a non-trad, my last freshman orientation was in 1984. Nope, don't remember it.

But also as a non-trad, without a schedule my children will probably have to be with me during orientation while my husband does things for his prospective job (no, he ca't reschedule them). I am unable to make plans for my kids without knowing what plans to make.

And I'm a little stressed. Packing a house, leaving my home next week, driving across the friggin' country with two kids and two dogs, and I feel really up in the air right now. I'd really like some kind of plan in some part of my life. I don't even have a place to move to right now (but hopefully my husband is rectifying that situation this week).

Perhaps I just need a really good cry right now. :(

I can only try to imagine how hectic things must be Shyrem... know that in time, some of things will iron themselves out and we've still got a little of it left before things begin to start. I hope that your husband gets to find a place that will be perfect for you and yours. :luck: :)

-JC

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone who is looking for last minute housing, a friend of mine has just had a room open up. It is a great house with a two car garage and fully furnished. If you are interested please give Romeo Lucas a call at (732)-207-9749.

David Rancourt MSII

Docbill, I've sent you a PM, let me know what you think.

-JC

WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hubby got a job offer. And this morning I think we got a house. Not in Biddeford (the schools there suck for my children), so it'll be about a 45 minute drive every day for me, but it's a nice safe place with good schools for my kids with darn near ZERO crime. :) :) :)

I haven't seen the house yet, but hubby says it looks good. And it's near a lake, and it's quiet. Really quiet. I'm getting excited. I have a place to LIVE!!!! YAY!!!!!!!

Congrats Shyrem!!! I'm glad everything worked out well! :thumbup: :)

-JC

if it's darn near zero crime, why do they need police?? ;) hehe, totally kidding, that's GREAT that he got a job offer! good luck driving out here, the weather has cooled off here in maine and it's absolutely beautiful right now!!! :)

he actually got the job offer for Biddeford - so we'll BOTH be commuting about an hour each way. I found the crime statistics for Biddeford interesting - if 100 is the nationwide average, Biddeford has a rating of 278 for rape. Not a place for me or my pretty daughter.

yeah close to saco river/downtown biddeford, there is the ghetto.. i drove by it today...kinda shady. In addition, there are tons of french tourist around here... especially in saco/old orchard beach. if you're going to live anywhere in biddeford, go to sanford, alfred rd, or anywhere close to school.. you'll be fine.

oh yeah i went by the school today talked to people at COMSA. They said... the advanced standing acceptance letter should be out soon, and there won't be any pre-orientation activities (besides the white water rafting). all those activities they did last year.. they're moving them to during the orientation (damnit.. i knew i shouldn't have quit my job so early). now i have 2.5 weeks of doing nothing :(. somebody come play tennis with me.. hahaha i'm gonna go nuts.

oh yeah.. i also grabbed quite a few "used" books before they're gone at the book store. In addition, they're coming out with the equipment package for 585 dollars (including littman card. III steth, W&A ophalm/oto scope diagnostic kit, scrubs, gown, blood pressure stuff. tuning forks and reflex hammer) for the whole package. that is still a pretty good deal. otherwise if you're doing this by yourself you'll pay (130 and 400 bucks just for the steth, and diagnostic kit along online). so choose your funeral wisely. :)

-kev

ShyRem said:
he actually got the job offer for Biddeford - so we'll BOTH be commuting about an hour each way. I found the crime statistics for Biddeford interesting - if 100 is the nationwide average, Biddeford has a rating of 278 for rape. Not a place for me or my pretty daughter.
Hey ShyRem,

Congratulations on getting your feet on the ground. My last freshman orientation was in 86, so I tip my hat to you. Good luck with the move

Jeff

Hey all.
I was wondering whats the better insurance the SOMA or the AMSA or AOA?? confused. Im just looking for a PPO, anyone went through the whole process.
How do I contact them all.
thanks

I got AMSA insurance at their website, and all the SOMA information at their website as well. Both applications are ridiculously simple - name, age, DOB, pay us $$. SOMA is a bit cheaper, seems to have better coverage, but seemed limited in geographical area due to PPO; personally I went with AMSA because I needed coverage while we were driving cross-country. Also, I only needed the coverage for about 3 months until my husband hopefully got a job with benefits for WAAAAY cheaper. It was unclear to me on the SOMA website whether I could cancel the policy after a few months, so I went a policy I *knew* I could cancel and not pay for the whole year.

Once you have your policy information and number, go to the UNE chickering website (I listed the location earlier), give them the information online and your health insurance fee will be taken off your UOnline bill.

Hey Guys and Gals,

Congrats Shyrem on the hubby job and ssoon to be house. I wish I had a hubby to go and work.. (or prefably a wiffyyyyy, since I am straight... not that there is anything wrong with that).

Got my physical and vacination forms done yesterday for UHN. Tetnis shot.. simply cause I did not have record of the last one 5 years ago.. ohhh well. Also got to experience bad physician people skills.. so rude. The guy did not even introduce himself.. or anything... I just stopped him and said... hi my name is Bill. Nice to meet you. ... bastards.. if I am ever like that shut me.. someone. Plus before I get my privates examined, I prefer an introduction.. heheeheh

Today I get a check up for my eyes.. hmmmm recall I had the eye surgery 3.5 months ago. So we will seeee how that goes. Hopefuly no need for more surgery.. that would be catastrophic... not to mention problematic.

Crazy couple of weeks and a couple more left. Trying to pack and take care of everything.. and my research / thesis stuff.. did not write anything yet.. hmmm I have two weeks. I don't think I will know that I started med school till December.. then it will hit me.

Okay I am going on about nothing.. so I will stop now... good luck to you guys in your move and everything. And just remember.. trash is trash and there is no point dragging it to maine.. eheheh

BA

ben821 said:
Hey all.
I was wondering whats the better insurance the SOMA or the AMSA or AOA?? confused. Im just looking for a PPO, anyone went through the whole process.
How do I contact them all.
thanks

Ben didn't I send you a message.. so rude.. hehehe

AWRIGHT! Got the checklist, the tentative orientation schedule, and white coat ceremony stuff. EXCELLENT. Now if I could get the evap cooler to cool my house down below 85 I'd be happy. I guess I should be happy - it's 100+ outside. :( Too hot to pack. Too hot to eat. Guess I'll make smoothies.

And almost too hot for my poor 5 year old laptop to function.

I'm glad that things are working out for you, ShyRem! Congrats on the job and the house... and good luck packing/driving. :)

T-a few weeks!! I'm getting excited but I still have a ton left to do... good luck with all the moves, everyone- can't wait to meet ya!

hi
does anyone know if we have labor day off?
thanks

Hey everyone,
I just got accepted on Friday of the accept space available list, and now have to rearrange my life completely.. I'm thrilled beyond words but now also extremely stressed. I was wondering if anyone could just fill me in a little about did they mail you a list of text books and supplies etc etc.. because I haven't received anything yet except an email late friday for white coat ceremony, check list, etc.. and that's all i have.. and in 2 weeks i have to do a lot of housing searches and looking into loans.. if anyone has some useful last minute tips/ideas i'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks! :)

Go to my.une.edu. Call the IT folks if necessary - if you can log onto the my.une.edu site, it'll have all the textbook lists, supply lists, calendars, "have you" checklists, etc. that you should need. It's on the COM2010 club site.

As for loans, if you filled out the FAFSA, you should only need to go to THE and do their entrance counseling stuff. Personally, I chose maine medloans for my extra stuff. My credit is really good and the terms were pretty awesome. GradPlus I hear is also a good choice, fixed interest rate, etc.

You'll have to do an OSHA class online and a HIPAA class online. Also you'll need to get your immunizations done and a physical done.

HOWEVER: FIRST BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE: Call the RSAS office and ask what you absolutely NEED to do before you get there. You have enough to do with moving, finding a place to live, financial aid, etc. without worrying about the piddly stuff we all had months to take care of. I'm sure they'll be accomodating considering you only have two weeks.

Congrats! and Welcome!

Hey all,

Soooo...the living situation in my life has changed (landlord friend decided he wanted his girlfriend to move in so me, the guy, and the puppy need to move out ASAP).

Throwin a line out there for any quick fix situations anyone has available. Like I said, looking for a temp place for 2 very fun, very clean people and yes, a fun and exciting yet fully house/kennel trained puppy to live.

See you all soon!

Erin

TinyTot said:
Hey everyone,
I just got accepted on Friday of the accept space available list, and now have to rearrange my life completely.. I'm thrilled beyond words but now also extremely stressed. I was wondering if anyone could just fill me in a little about did they mail you a list of text books and supplies etc etc.. because I haven't received anything yet except an email late friday for white coat ceremony, check list, etc.. and that's all i have.. and in 2 weeks i have to do a lot of housing searches and looking into loans.. if anyone has some useful last minute tips/ideas i'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks! :)

Congratulations and welcome to the show TinyTot! What is your e-mail? Pm it to me or catch me on AIM (fozziewan). I agree with Shy about calling RSAS about what you ABSOLUTELY need to complete before moving here. There are a couple people who have recently posted with rooms available. Check maine.craigslist.org and also when you obtain access to my.une.edu you can check out housing listings posted by fellow classmates.

Shyrem, congrats on all of the good news! Safe travels to you and your family!

drKeys, PM me with your local info. I've been in Biddo the past couple weeks. Last night 3 of us MS1's in the area got together and went out for dinner in Portland. Today is a great beach day. If you've not gone out to Biddeford Pool or Fortunes Rocks yet I highly suggest it. You can get a resident beach parking permit at the Biddeford town hall for about $10 as long as you show proof of your local address.

Docbill,
where are you? I thought you were planning on venturing down this way soon.

Cheers,

fozziewan said:
Docbill,
where are you? I thought you were planning on venturing down this way soon.

Cheers,

Hey guysssssssss, sorry for the absence. I have not abandoned you at all. Since my last post... with many spelling mistakes, I have had a crazy time (and as I notice zero responses... hmmm).

I went to move some stuff to my uncles place near montreal and getting ready to clear out this appartment and make it to Biddeford... BUTTT yesterday as I was getting back into town,,,, my car breaks down. Turns out the transmission is S%it and now I have to pay 1300$ to get it fixed. But hold on that number may actually go up tomorrow.. so lets hope it doesn't get worst. Got my physical done and my vaccination.. just waiting for chicken poxs titer... 2 weeks at least.

If everything goes well. I will be making it to Maine this upcoming weekend. Then we can meet up and grab a beer with all those who are interested. Sorry I won't be able to go rafting. HOpefuly it will be fun for all.

Best of luck with everyone's moving plans.

Ba

docbill said:
Hey guysssssssss, sorry for the absence. I have not abandoned you at all. Since my last post... with many spelling mistakes, I have had a crazy time (and as I notice zero responses... hmmm).

I went to move some stuff to my uncles place near montreal and getting ready to clear out this appartment and make it to Biddeford... BUTTT yesterday as I was getting back into town,,,, my car breaks down. Turns out the transmission is S%it and now I have to pay 1300$ to get it fixed. But hold on that number may actually go up tomorrow.. so lets hope it doesn't get worst. Got my physical done and my vaccination.. just waiting for chicken poxs titer... 2 weeks at least.

If everything goes well. I will be making it to Maine this upcoming weekend. Then we can meet up and grab a beer with all those who are interested. Sorry I won't be able to go rafting. HOpefuly it will be fun for all.

Best of luck with everyone's moving plans.

Ba

Sorry Bill,

But to make you feel better, you're not in the same boat alone. My gf broke my sun roof on my jeep today, and i had to get the ball joints on my car changed out today because if i don't the wheels/suspension will fall apart. My cars is in the shop in saco for the next probably 3-4 days. and its gonna cost me a lot of money. I'm dead broke until the financial aid comes in (i'm over my credit card limit, overdrawn on my bank account, have 20 dollars in my pocket). so what do you think :D. I don't think i'll make it before school starts.

plus, rent is due Aug 1st, so is internet/cable bill, so is electric bill, and car insurance. hahaha.. i'm so screwed.. :D i wish money grows on trees

:( :( :( :( :( :(

good we can have a beer on those with army/navy/airforce scholarships!!!!!

YEahhhh my line of credit.. aka bank loan will be abused soon. Recall I don't get Financial aid so interest starts as of now. Screw it I am going to become a human mechanic... ohhh yeahhh doctor.

Good luck Kev and as soon as I get down there I can drop you a twenty or 30... we got each others back.

docbill said:
good we can have a beer on those with army/navy/airforce scholarships!!!!!

YEahhhh my line of credit.. aka bank loan will be abused soon. Recall I don't get Financial aid so interest starts as of now. Screw it I am going to become a human mechanic... ohhh yeahhh doctor.

Good luck Kev and as soon as I get down there I can drop you a twenty or 30... we got each others back.

haha... i got your back too, bro.

Bill,
Wow. I mean, the eye surgery in the past few months. Trying to get enough $ together and a visa for here. Now the car issues. Sorry man. I hope it gets better for you ASAP!
How'd the check-up for your eyes go? Is everything good to go? Of course you'll be heading down this weekend while I'll be leaving town for the weekend. drKeys will have to entertain you. Plus there are a couple other 1st years in the area to meet up with. Anyways, glad to hear from a couple of ya. Its now less than two weeks!
:eek:

Happy travels.
Cheers,

Hey stevy, (and all) $hit happens. The car price actually went up to over 2k today. They claim they have more problems. Can't do anything about that.

Today I got the bill for tuition at UNE... at least half the year... 20k. OUCH that hurts. I don't know guys. But fetal position is called for with such a high bill. What did I get myself into!!!

Yeap.. now looks like sunday or monday heading to Biddeford, unless things change.

All the best guys and please let me know if I can help in any way.

BA

i just couldn't let our page slip any farther down that main page..just shows how busy everyone is now that the end of the summer is looming sooooo near. Enjoy the next 11 days 14 hrs and 13 mins...haha

Hey I just wanted to say GOOD LUCK to everyone starting school in the next few weeks. I start third year rotations on monday morning and I cant seem to get the butterflies in my stomach to quit fluttering around. Thinking back to the first semester of med school, I cant remember a time in my life where I made more friends, felt more great, felt more craptacular, had more mental breakdowns, or learned more about myself and what I am capable of! I'm sure all of you will experience these same feelings and more. Just remember to ride the highs for as long as you can, and remember that the low times will pass. Also remember that my class made it, and as a whole we are no smarter or stupider than your class, so you CAN do it! Remember to help your classmates because you will rely on them more than you may think, and they will help you make it through!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Tintot, sorry I have not replied to you PM. I have been a tied up. BTW, did you log on to myUNE already. Go to UNE.edu select myUNE from the drop down menu and try to log on. You can send a mass email to everyone telling them that you are looking for place to stay, and some info on what your looking for.

fozziewan said:
Bill,
Now the car issues. Sorry man. I hope it gets better for you ASAP!

Just a little updated. I am getting my a$$ kicked by mechanic. It was funny yesteday he calls me in and tell me that more problems and it would be ~5k to fix. But I would have life time warrantee. This is AAMCO (across N.America). I told him to go Pluck himself and that put the car together or put all the parts in the trunck and I will tow it. Of course they will still charge me 1300 for nothing. 2 hours of discussion with this guy and me walking out... he sais ohh I can get you a rebuilt transmission and install it for half the price. Or you can take the car as is and pay us 1300. ... all in all I was being played.

BUT, I am not finished yet. After this is done, I will fille a complain with the better bus. bur. and with a TV station in Toronto. If you are getting ripped off, and they will get this bullish guy to go after them and expose them.

The best thing to do is to have a friend/relative who is a mechanic... just like its great to have a physician or lawyer in the family/friend cir.

Guys, quick question please.

Do you need a SSN to get a Cell phone in the US? If I have a credit card is that okay??? Also I was looking at Vorizon plans, it sais something like 39.05 for 500 minutes and unlimited evening / weekends and incoming calls. Does that include call across the country or local and would that include the great white north? Anyone suggest a better plan/package??? THANKS

docbill said:
Guys, quick question please.

Do you need a SSN to get a Cell phone in the US? If I have a credit card is that okay??? Also I was looking at Vorizon plans, it sais something like 39.05 for 500 minutes and unlimited evening / weekends and incoming calls. Does that include call across the country or local and would that include the great white north? Anyone suggest a better plan/package??? THANKS

docbill, I don't think you need an ssn. Your credit card should be fine. As for verizon and calling canada from the us, check out

http://mobileoptions.vzw.com/international/index.html

and click on "north america's choice"

It looks like they will charge 49cents/min for calls to canada if you choose not to use the international plan and just go with a regular plan.

I just hooked up verizon home phone and needed an SSN for a credit check. Don't know how it would work for a Canadian, tho. I think you can do it with two forms of ID.

Ok. Movers come today. Might be offline for a week or so while we're driving cross-country. *sigh*.

I am SOOOO ready to start school. I am SOOOOO *not* ready to be moving. Too much stuff. I have too much stuff.

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a decent place to grab a few Sam Adams or something in the local area. Since I am not going on the rafting trip, I would love to meet as many classmates as I can before classes. If you are interested give me a call at 401-378-2510 or email me at [email protected]. I will be moving after this weekend to Old Orchard Beach, so it would be awesome to have something to do after the move.

See you all soon.

Steve M

Status
Not open for further replies.