MD unconventional USMLE situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avs17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if I could get some input/advice.

I am a graduating fourth-year U.S. citizen IMG and will be completing my M.D. in May of this year. I began medical school at a U.S. LCME school in 2008 and took and passed my Step 1 (220) in June 2010. Shortly after I began my fourth year, in July 2011, I was diagnosed with epilepsy and was unable to work or drive for 5 years (we're talking like a seizure every three weeks). I finally got it under control (seizure free for 2 years now!) and received medical clearance to return to my school in August 2015. However, I was informed that because of my school's 7-year graduation policy, I was ineligible to graduate unless I started over as an M1. Needless to say, I didn't do that. So I applied and was accepted to a Caribbean school which graciously took all my credits as transfer and only required me to complete 36 weeks of elective rotations. Since then, I have passed Step 2 CK (238) and am in the process of scheduling my Step 2 CS which I plan on taking once I finish my last rotation later this spring.

Here's my question: The ECFMG requires your Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS within 7 years of each other. If I take Step 2 CS in May, once I pass it, I will be all ready for my ECFMG certificate. If I wait until July to take my CS, I will be required to retake Step 1. Since I only had two weeks to study for Step 1 when I took it in June 2010, my score was MUCH lower than it would have been if I had more time. I know if I had a couple months to study for it, I would knock it out of the park. For the purpose of applying for residency this fall, would it be advisable to put off my Step 2 CS until I'm eligible to retake Step 1? Would a higher score, even if it is a retake after a previously passed test, look better to residency programs since it's more recent/higher? Or would they see through my devious scheme here and I should just take my Step 2 CS in May and get my ECFMG certificate immediately?

Thanks!!

PS: I'm applying to OB, so I need moderately competitive scores.

Members don't see this ad.

If you got a 238 on CK why would you necessarily do that much better than 220 on Step 1 this time around?

I think it's a good idea to retake it regardless. There are some states that require the entire series be taken within 7-10 yrs to be eligible for licensure. If you're sure you can do as well or better, then it would probably be a good idea to do that.

I also would be careful in assuming you will absolutely do much better. Study hard and aim for the highest score you can get.

Reactions: 1 user