UNC vs. UF- HELP PLEASE!! best education??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xileanx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!!
I've been accepted to UNC and UF dental school. I'm looking to go to the school which will
A.) prepare me better clinically and
B.) give me the best chance at specializing if able to do so.
I haven't been able to find much to rank one school against the other; they both seem like great state schools. One advantage to UF is that it would be about $30,000 cheaper overall because I can get in-state tuition there my first-year (I am an out of state applicant to both schools).
Any thoughts, advice, or knowledge would be greatly appreciated! please shout out anything you know about either one that might be helpful!
THANKS! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Go with the cheapest option! If you do well at both schools I would think you would have the same specialty options after school regardless. Plus you can't beat winter in FL!

I suppose you would know better than I, but I was fairly certain that NC offered the same deal of residency for OOSers after one year (?)

I suppose you would know better than I, but I was fairly certain that NC offered the same deal of residency for OOSers after one year (?)

You should call admissions to verify if an oos student can establish in-state residency after the first year (especially if that is currently your deciding factor for favoring UF over UNC).

In the mean-time, below is a link from the Graduate School at UNC. The site provides information regarding NC in-state residency requirements:

http://gradschool.unc.edu/student/residency/#requirements

Members don't see this ad :)
o yes, I didn't want to bog everyone down with the details but I've been going to college in Florida and I've done everything to get residency there, esp. since I just graduated in December and will continue to live in the state.

As for north carolina, I suppose its never a guarantee, but according to the office of admissions when I interviewed there, they haven't had anyone have a problem getting residency after a year (assuming you make a very good case for wanting residency in north carolina for more than just schooling)

So it seems to be the general consensus that the cheaper option is best? And that no one has heard of either school being better than the other?

Again, thanks to you all for your opinions and help! :)

A classmate of mine graduated from UF. When she was in undergrad, she worked for the dental school. Part of her job involved research working with dentists from all over Florida. After she was offered spots at both schools, she asked these dentists which school they'd suggest. She said it was uncanny how many of them (>90%) thought that UNC was a better option.

Needless to say, she ended up at UNC.

Note: I'm not saying ANYTHING negative about UF. In fact, I've heard they have an excellent program.

If you plan on living in FL after dental school, go to UF. They will prepare you for Florida's licensure exam, which is supposedly one of the harder ones out there. Also, why would you pay more for an equivalent degree/education if you don't have to?

If you plan on living in FL after dental school, go to UF. They will prepare you for Florida's licensure exam, which is supposedly one of the harder ones out there. Also, why would you pay more for an equivalent degree/education if you don't have to?

Both are valid points, particularly with regard to licensing.

y'all are right, licensing is a point to be seriously considered.

I have heard, like sarah_bellum mentioned, that UNC seems to have slightly more name recognition than UF, but it seems to be not too significant...or maybe it would help to have that name when trying to get an associateship?

Have any of you heard about UNC having a better patient pool than UF's Gainesville area?

Again, thanks thanks thanks for your imput!! It's definitely helping me get closer to a decision!

I have heard, like sarah_bellum mentioned, that UNC seems to have slightly more name recognition than UF, but it seems to be not too significant...or maybe it would help to have that name when trying to get an associateship?

Have any of you heard about UNC having a better patient pool than UF's Gainesville area?

Again, thanks thanks thanks for your imput!! It's definitely helping me get closer to a decision!

I'm assuming you put down your deposit for UNC? Just curious.

UNC has a lottery system because more folks want to be patients than we can support. Once someone wins the lottery, it can take almost a year before they actually get assigned to a dental student. I have no idea how it works at UF.

Yes, I couldn't decide so I put deposits down on both :/

If it were me, I would personally go with UNC. I interviewed at both schools & UNC was much higher on my list than UF after the interview process. I'm from FL originally too so wouldve gotten in-state there. I currently go to MD and love it! But I might point out I've seen many-a-professors research from UNC in some of my lectures at MD and none from UF, if that makes a difference. Plus, UNC is so hard to get into as an oos-ER. That's quite impressive. I'm pretty sure I've heard their clinical experience is great- but that might be heresay. Another plus- UNC = newer facilities vs UF= really old. Oh well at least now you've got plenty extra time to decide. Good luck!

Thanks for you advice and replies everyone! Things have changed a lot for me recently and I am now deciding between UCSF and UNC (told UF I won't be coming). I also got the HPSP air force scholarship I had applied for so its a whole new ball game and I'm so confused. Cost isn't really a factor, so I trying to decide if living in awesome San Francisco is worth the impact on education the recent budge cuts have had at UCSF as well as the impact of the pass/fail system compared to living in the college town of Chapel Hill and knowing UNC does provide an excellent education as well. Such a dilemma, arghhh lol!