UMDNJ Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Let me share something that might shed some light on this whole issue.

I recently spoke with Paula and she elaborated a bit on how they come to a decision regarding acceptance/waitlist.

As has been discussed, UMDNJ uses a formula to both determine if you will be invited for an interview, and then, if you will be accepted, waitlisted or rejected.

All aspects of your application (gpa, mcat, volunteer work, personal statement, interview, etc) are given a numerical score. These are then added up and you end up with a single number.

If your number is at or above their "acceptance number" then you are accepted. If your number is below it, then you will be waitlisted or rejected. It really is that simple.

Now, Paula stated that gpa and MCAT carry the most weight by far (she did not indicate which of the 2 takes priority). So, are you can imagine, if your gpa and mcat are on the low side, you will need extremely high scores on the other categories to make up for it.

Also, there is a maximum score that can be given for each category (lets just call it 100 for now). At a certain point, if your mcat and or gpa are too low, you mathematically will not be able to make up enough ground in your other areas in order to meet their "acceptance number". So even if you have the world's best personal statement, you still can only receive 100 points (or whatever the max is). It also means that if your mcat and gpa are sufficiently high, you will still be accepted with relatively low scores in your other areas since you are starting with such a high score due to your mcat and gpa.

Lastly, Paula told me that they have so many applicants this year that they have raised their "acceptance number". She said there are many applicants this year who were put on the waitlist who would have received acceptances with the same applicant score last year since their cutoff was lower last year.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad.

Let me share something that might shed some light on this whole issue.

I recently spoke with Paula and she elaborated a bit on how they come to a decision regarding acceptance/waitlist.

As has been discussed, UMDNJ uses a formula to both determine if you will be invited for an interview, and then, if you will be accepted, waitlisted or rejected.

All aspects of your application (gpa, mcat, volunteer work, personal statement, interview, etc) are given a numerical score. These are then added up and you end up with a single number.

If your number is at or above their "acceptance number" then you are accepted. If your number is below it, then you will be waitlisted or rejected. It really is that simple.

Now, Paula stated that gpa and MCAT carry the most weight by far (she did not indicate which of the 2 takes priority). So, are you can imagine, if your gpa and mcat are on the low side, you will need extremely high scores on the other categories to make up for it.

Also, there is a maximum score that can be given for each category (lets just call it 100 for now). At a certain point, if your mcat and or gpa are too low, you mathematically will not be able to make up enough ground in your other areas in order to meet their "acceptance number". So even if you have the world's best personal statement, you still can only receive 100 points (or whatever the max is). It also means that if your mcat and gpa are sufficiently high, you will still be accepted with relatively low scores in your other areas since you are starting with such a high score due to your mcat and gpa.

Lastly, Paula told me that they have so many applicants this year that they have raised their "acceptance number". She said there are many applicants this year who were put on the waitlist who would have received acceptances with the same applicant score last year since their cutoff was lower last year.

Hope this helps.
ive spoken to paula also. she went through the whole process with me as well. your post is right on. They include EVERYTHING into the equation, LOR's clinical experience, mcat, gpa and interview among other things. there are other things that are included into it besides mcat and gpa. i guess where all on the same page. she also mentioned to me that there has been an increase in the number of applications this year and that the competition has increased. this could EASILY have been due to rwj losing cooper and therefore having to decrease their class size. lets not forget for some people bieng able to go to med school in jersey is more important that anything else. theres always reasons for everything. the people with over thirties accepted might have had average lor's or gpa's but there score helped a lot. but rest assured your personality and whether they feel you "fit" into their program is also included. they would rather have someone with a 24 than a 34 if they had the same mission as the school.

thats all im trying to say. if you fit the schools mission very well, wanna practivce primary care in nj then that factors into their decisions also.

on a side note i want to point out that i love som and hope i get in lol

that’s the thing though… Paula told me that my interview went well and “your interviewer really pushed you”.

I thought you brought up a really good point about the accepted vs. matriculant stats; 8 out of the 9 students that I’ve talked to from the class of 2014 have low MCAT scores. It’s especially curious how it’s worded on the website -- it says, “students accepted to the incoming class of 2011”.
BINGO. hey man you might be really high on the waitlist. wait a few weeks and send in a letter of intent. tell them that if you dont get in youll spread a rumor that theirs infidelity at the school and they accept only redneck hillbillies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else been complete since sept. 28 and STILL not hear anything about a interview???? I cant decide if its strange that i havent hear back yet or if its like that for everyone. i call every week and get the same "under review" response =/

Anyone else been complete since sept. 28 and STILL not hear anything about a interview???? I cant decide if its strange that i havent hear back yet or if its like that for everyone. i call every week and get the same "under review" response =/

Same, except for the calling them part.

I was complete since september 25th and I got an interview call about a month ago. Apparently they do some sort of formula, so I wouldn't worry too much!!

I was complete since september 25th and I got an interview call about a month ago. Apparently they do some sort of formula, so I wouldn't worry too much!!

I'm sure it has something to do with New Jersey residents versus non-residents. I know they favor residents, but I'm not worrying about it.

I also heard that they raised the bar as far as the appropriate applicant score in order to be accepted this year. The next statement, which totally pissed me off, was that people will not be taken from the waitlist until January because they wanna give people who submitted later a fair chance. So much for rolling admissions. Office said that they didn't wanna fill the class to quick. I was sure that submitting early was advantageous, but apparently not. Jeffro's statement about cherry-picking was right on. Waitlist = your good enough, but we want to wait and see if someone better comes along. OUCH!

I also heard that they raised the bar as far as the appropriate applicant score in order to be accepted this year. The next statement, which totally pissed me off, was that people will not be taken from the waitlist until January because they wanna give people who submitted later a fair chance. So much for rolling admissions. Office said that they didn't wanna fill the class to quick. I was sure that submitting early was advantageous, but apparently not. Jeffro's statement about cherry-picking was right on. Waitlist = your good enough, but we want to wait and see if someone better comes along. OUCH!

so does that mean they actually start taking people off of the waitlist starting January? and not at the end of the cycle?

January??? You wish.
It's much worse then that.

They don't pull people off the waitlist until the end of the cycle, after all interviews have been completed (around April/May).

And yes the waitlist means just what was described: They have some interest in you but they are hoping (and expecting) to find "better" applicants before the cycle is over.

so does that mean they actually start taking people off of the waitlist starting January? and not at the end of the cycle?
I am not 100% sure, but I am pretty sure that she said the waiting list will start to move in January. Someone should find that out. In the letter that I received it states that "may be offered a seat anytime now and the start of class in August".

If someone wants to increase their score... update the school with new grades; if you don't have a DO letter, get one; get involved in more extracurriculars; then send a letter updating them on your new activities and achievements. I don't know how important each thing is, but they seem to really value hard work and an interest in the school.

i was thinking about updating them, but is there any point of doing it now? should i wait till april/may to start sending in LOIs and such?

Hi everyone

I just checked into the Hampton inn hotel for my interview tomorrow. I think I'm going to head over to Philly later for some site seeing (first time on the east coast so i want to take advantage of it). Anybody want to join me? It'll be fun. Let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone

I just checked into the Hampton inn hotel for my interview tomorrow. I think I'm going to head over to Philly later for some site seeing (first time on the east coast so i want to take advantage of it). Anybody want to join me? It'll be fun. Let me know.

I know you may be out already and not see this, but make sure you get to Geno's and get a philly cheesesteak!!!

Is it too late?

I am an out-of-state non-traditional student. I submitted my secondary application on September 8th. My MCAT is 30P, GPA 3.8. I have been working as an engineer for five years. I have four years volunteering in a hospital and another four years volunteering with a literacy program. I thought my application was competitive but I haven't heard anything … from any schools.

I know you may be out already and not see this, but make sure you get to Geno's and get a philly cheesesteak!!!

Thanks for the advice denco. I had already left when you responded. But I got a philly cheese steak at another place. I had to have a philly cheese steak in philly.

Thanks for the advice denco. I had already left when you responded. But I got a philly cheese steak at another place. I had to have a philly cheese steak in philly.
Best of luck on your interview! Let us know how it goes :)

All the best to those of us that went today. Good vibe, good returns

Has anyone who was accepted 11-19 gotten their acceptance packet yet?? I'm waiting and hoping that they didn't send it to the wrong address.

Applying to medical school is a very stressful endeavor. And this is not unique to UMDNJ-SOM. There are a lot of wonderful applicants out there and if they could, they would take many more people. However, the truth of the matter is that this will not happen.

Schools want to accept people who they not only believe will complete the program but will also become leaders in their chosen field as this brings prestige and recognition to the school. Every single medical school in the country except for diploma mills want to accept only the best of the best. If that means that people who are quite good may not be accepted to the school or off the waitlist then that is the risk that the school is willing to take. And this is why you do not apply to only 1 school. Since there are no guarantees in life (except death and taxes).

How can you accept this from schools like Harvard, George Washington, Yale, etc and not accept it from any other school? You want to go to medical school and medical schools want students. But there is no lack of applicants so the schools will compete to get the best ones they can.

AS for the waitlist. It usually will not move until all of the interviews are complete. The waitlist will not stop until the class has been filled and all deposits are received. People have gotten in during orientation. This is not uncommon either in the world of medical school admissions.

While I wish I can tell you that the wait will be easy, I cannot. I have been there so I know what you are feeling. In fact, I am there now since I am applying for residency spots. And while I know where I want to go, it does not mean that I will go. All of this waiting is getting on everyone's nerves but it is a part of the game and part of being a pre med and medical students.

If there is anything that you have done that may improve your chances of getting in or getting an interview, there is no harm in letting the admissions office know.

Good luck with the rest of your applications, I am sure you will all succeed.

Hi

I have my first interview this friday.

Any advice please or what to read before interview?

Thank you all and congrats to those that are accepted already =)

PAT'S!!! The original... and not all flamed out with fancy decorations. Old school. Original.

Pats and Genos are both tourist traps - if you want a better cheesesteak, try Tony Luke's or Jim's on South Street.

Personally I prefer Jim's

Has anyone who was accepted 11-19 gotten their acceptance packet yet?? I'm waiting and hoping that they didn't send it to the wrong address.

I go accepted that day and I finally called the admissions office on 12/09. They told me they just send out the packets that same day (12/09).

Best of luck to everyone waiting for a call this friday ^_^

I go accepted that day and I finally called the admissions office on 12/09. They told me they just send out the packets that same day (12/09).

Got my acceptance package today via UPS and I was an 11/19 acceptee! Hope this helps.

Got my acceptance package today via UPS and I was an 11/19 acceptee! Hope this helps.

Wow cool, wish I received an acceptance package from UMDNJ. If it's sent by UPS, it must be a big package.

Wow cool, wish I received an acceptance package from UMDNJ. If it's sent by UPS, it must be a big package.

Nope it was a standard bigger envelope. Had a folder with papers in it. I was actually really confused as to what UPS was trying to deliver. They tried on Monday but I was in Manhattan traveling and they left a notice. Since I've been doing lots of online shopping I was thoroughly confused....but happy in the end. :)

just got a call from the school!!!!
Accepted =)
good luck to you guys too =)

Got a call! yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. cant wait to be a doctor. my parents will be so proud. god bless you all!

Hey guys! I just received the acceptance call today at 2:42pm!! So stoked! I'm thinking about just withdrawing from the other schools and going here since I liked it so much.

For any of you with a sub-8 MCAT section score, there is hope. I had a 7 in verbal and 11's in the sciences with a cGPA of 3.77.

Good luck :)

Whelp I guess I didn't get in :(. I have a 30 mcat and 3 .4 GPA.

i also have low verbal too.

I had 6v 11p 13 b...

hope this helps =)

just got interviewed on wednesday, i hope i get accepted :scared:

Interviewed a couple weeks ago. I am from out of state. Second time interviewing there. Are there any out of state people accepted out there? Stats?

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I just got the phone call for an interview around 4:30 today... my interview is on January 4th.. so nervous! I sent in my secondaries and LORs a few days before Thanksgiving.

Has anyone had trouble contacting the admissions office at UMDNJ? I'm trying to check on the status of my application and I can't get a hold of anyone. They don't even seem to have a voicemail box-- all I get is a generic greeting from Verizon. WTF? They've had my secondary for 1.5 months (delivery confirmation), but no acknowledgement at all, my check hasn't even been cashed....

I know that Paula (the lady I've spoken to both times in the admissions office) mentioned something about not being in this week. If the main contact number at the admissions office is her, then that would explain why there isn't any answer. I'm not sure of another number you could call though :( I know that there's also an admissions person named April that will be handling things while Paula isn't here.. maybe try searching the UMDNJ website for her contact info and try to call/email her instead.

Any other victim of the waitlist curious about when we will be ranked? Has anyone heard a date yet?