UMDNJ Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you can update AACOMAS after you have been verified. You just email them and tell them the change. The problem is sometimes not all the schools register the change in your file, so you may want to notify each school separately or check if you can about your application status.

Members don't see this ad.

ok two questions:

1.does one page mean one single spaced microsoft word page

and

2. ok i opened up the secondary, but when i save it as a text file it is in a different font/looks really different/doesn't have the graphics anymore etc.etc...how do i save it to word exactly as it is, but with the ability to write on it??

THanksssssss :)

Last edited:
AACOMAS said we can update them by emailing the details of what we have been doing and they will send it to the schools. GREAT!

Members don't see this ad :)
thats great news...one question clipmag tho..wut email address did you use when you contacted them because i emailed them as well and did not hear anything back. Thanksss!

I usually email them through my application, when u log in to your aacom application, look at the top right and click support, u can email them from there. they usually respond within 24 hrs.

thats great news...one question clipmag tho..wut email address did you use when you contacted them because i emailed them as well and did not hear anything back. Thanksss!

Hi,

Has anyone (or know of anyone) been admitted to UMDNJ before without having the "highly recommended" MD or DO LOR? I'm trying really hard to scramble for one but no luck so far after cold-calling 45 physicians in my area.

Would really like to consider applying to this school, but don't want to waste money either if I don't have a realistic chance of being admitted.

Thanks guys.

Hi,

Has anyone (or know of anyone) been admitted to UMDNJ before without having the "highly recommended" MD or DO LOR? I'm trying really hard to scramble for one but no luck so far after cold-calling 45 physicians in my area.

Would really like to consider applying to this school, but don't want to waste money either if I don't have a realistic chance of being admitted.

Thanks guys.

I had the same problem. I had to do some serious legwork to get shadowing experience. First I called the local Osteopathic Association. Supposedly, they are supposed to set you up with doctors who will agree to let you shadow. I had a little success with this but they at least gave me some leads. One D.O. ended up allowing me to.

The best success I had was to actually walk into a D.O.'s office and ask rather than just call them. I got the run around every time I called, but actually got 2 to agree when I barged in their office.

It sucks but that may help you. Good luck!

Thank you for the advice, catchburns. Are you applying this year, too? Luckily one of the D.O.'s I spammed actually responded last night and we're setting something up for next week :D Depending on my finances, I may or may not actually apply to this school, although I already spent $45 for the primary...

I double spaced mine, not sure what the correct format is supposed to be

1.does one page mean one single spaced microsoft word page

and

I actually hand wrote mine cos I cldn't save it, when I asked the admissions director, Paula, she said it was ok. hope this helps.

2. ok i opened up the secondary, but when i save it as a text file it is in a different font/looks really different/doesn't have the graphics anymore etc.etc...how do i save it to word exactly as it is, but with the ability to write on it??

THanksssssss :)[/quote]

I am not defensive. However, I would like to let you know that our admissions people DO look at this website. And they DO read these posts. And the comment you made, while you may not have made it to be negative did come off as if you were being harsh of the school. Now I read plenty of threads here in which pre-meds are being very critical of medical schools and I ask whether or not that is a smart move?

All Adcoms know about SDN and many do read this site.

As for your question, I was in a meeting with the Admissions Director this morning and she told us (student tour guides) about this new policy. Truth of the matter is that this was always the policy, but the 3 medical schools decided to be a little more lax with it. As a result, all of the graduate schools became angry and the University President decided to do away with that practice. As a result, here are the requirement for In-State tuition if you are an Out of State Student:

1) Bring in a copy of your recent lease that shows you were living in NJ for 1 year.
2) Bring in a copy of your NJ Driver's License (yes you do have to change your DL)
3) Bring in a copy of your NJ Car Registration (yes you have to register your car to NJ).
4) If you own your own car, you must have NJ Car Insurance.

Once this is done, you are considered an IS student and get IS tuition for the remainder of your time with is.

The Admissions Director told us that OOS students get the SAME consideration as IS students.

The point of my earlier post was not meant to be upset, it was meant to show you that you should be careful with how you word things on these forums, especially if you are applying to medical schools and the adcoms read these forums.
For those still concerned about out-of-state vs in-state, I am a 4th year originally from NY. Becoming a Jersey resident for tuition purposes is easy. All I did was get a Jersey license, rent an apartment in Jersey, and register to vote in Jersey and that was it. Since my car isn't under my name, it remained registered in NY and I didn't have to get Jersey insurance. However, if you have a car under your name, you would have to change it to Jersey. It's really as simple as that. Many students who apply are out of state, but when they graduate, they will be considered NJ residents. You don't have to become a NJ resident if you don't want. However, you will have to pay tuition as an out of state student. In my opinion, it is foolish to do that. Please do not let this be your worry. If you decide to matriculate to UMDNJ, you will be a Jersey resident paying Jersey tuition unless you opt out of that. So focus your attention on getting into the school. I'd be happy to answer any questions - just send me a private message since I'm not on here regularly. Good luck to you all.

For those still concerned about out-of-state vs in-state, I am a 4th year originally from NY. Becoming a Jersey resident for tuition purposes is easy. All I did was get a Jersey license, rent an apartment in Jersey, and register to vote in Jersey and that was it. Since my car isn't under my name, it remained registered in NY and I didn't have to get Jersey insurance. However, if you have a car under your name, you would have to change it to Jersey. It's really as simple as that. Many students who apply are out of state, but when they graduate, they will be considered NJ residents. You don't have to become a NJ resident if you don't want. However, you will have to pay tuition as an out of state student. In my opinion, it is foolish to do that. Please do not let this be your worry. If you decide to matriculate to UMDNJ, you will be a Jersey resident paying Jersey tuition unless you opt out of that. So focus your attention on getting into the school. I'd be happy to answer any questions - just send me a private message since I'm not on here regularly. Good luck to you all.

Hello eag,I just got an interview with the school and I'm very interested in finding out more about the school before I head for the interview. The lady I spoke with said the interview is only 30 minutes. How effective is that and what kind of questions or things are they looking for in an applicant?

Also, is attendance still mandatory? Thanks.

Just got a voicemail from Rachael at UMDNJ...didn't say if I had gotten an interview just to call her back but now its after 5 and im wondering what they wanted. Anyone care to wager whether i got an interview or not? :laugh:

I'll post back tomorrow with the outcome. :p

Just got a voicemail from Rachael at UMDNJ...didn't say if I had gotten an interview just to call her back but now its after 5 and im wondering what they wanted. Anyone care to wager whether i got an interview or not? :laugh:

I'll post back tomorrow with the outcome. :p

It's an interview. The same thing happened to me this morning.Congrats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello eag,I just got an interview with the school and I'm very interested in finding out more about the school before I head for the interview. The lady I spoke with said the interview is only 30 minutes. How effective is that and what kind of questions or things are they looking for in an applicant?

The interview will last as long as you want it to. If you have a lot of questions then ask them. The school wants to know if you are a good fit and if you truly want to become a DO and not using us as a backup for an MD school.

If you look at the Interview database available via SDN, you will see the types of questions that have been asked.

Yes, attendance is mandatory.

I know UMDNJ has the traditional lecture style and pbl every two years. I think i read somewhere that there are also small grp discussions or something not sure. if i read that correctly, can a current student pls elaborate on that. thanks in advance.

Congrats on your interview! Especially with UMDNJ, Keep in mind that if you have an interview, they already want you and just want to make sure you are what you say you are on paper. I went on 11 interviews. All of the interviews were the typical hour to hour and half for me, except UMDNJ. It was like 20 minutes and they seemed slightly annoyed that I had more questions. So for me UMDNJ wasn't a typical interview. It sort of threw me off because I thought they didn't like me. But it is the opposite, I was pretty much accepted already.... they just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy :0) Regardless of typical or atypical a interview is, approach all interviews the same way and always go with questions. Become best friends with the interview feedback section of studentdoctor: http://more.studentdoctor.net/welcome.php. It tells you everything you need to know about interviewing at specific schools. During my time, it was very accurate. All interviews will question the flaws in your application. So if there are any, be prepared to have an answer. All Osteopathic schools will ask you about Osteopathy....make sure you know who A.T. Still is. Everything else in the interview is how you make it. All of my interviews asked the same questions specific to my application. My approach to all my interviews was:
1- Be prepared to answer questions about the flaws in my app
2- Make sure they forget about the flaws by accentuating all of the positives in my app. I had a lot of clinical experience, so they focused on that and forgot about whatever they considered a flaw. Hone into your attributes and be confident about them.
3- If you did research, you better be able to talk about it eloquently. It's always good to add what you learned from it. For the research I did, I talked about the techniques I learned. More importantly, I made the clinical correlation to that research and talked about how it will end up being useful in practice. Example: my research further the understanding of the mechanistic basis of cardiovascular disease in order to develop appropriate therapeutic responses. As a result, it can provide a framework for physicians to better treat their patients.
4- When they ask you what your strengths and weaknesses are, make sure your weakness still sound like a strength. Example: Being a pefectionist allows you to be very detailed oriented. Being very hard on yourself allows you to remain focused and be the best you you can possibly be.
5- Know about the school. Be able to give little tidbits facts to show that you know about the school and you did your research.
6- Know about a current affair in medicine and be able to talk about it. I used the millions of uninsured people in our country. If you are able to tie it into the activities you've done, great. I was able to tie that into the clinical experiences I had.
7- Always have a question if they ask if you have any questions. If they don't ask you if you have any questions.... you better have a question anyway.

As far as classes being mandatory: yes they are mandatory, but there are ways to get around that. You'll learn for you what are good classes to attend and not attend, and you will make it work for you.

If anyone has questions specifically geared to me, please send me a private message. I don't always come on these threads, but I'm very happy to provide advice from my experiences

Good luck to all of you on your journey!

I know UMDNJ has the traditional lecture style and pbl every two years. I think i read somewhere that there are also small grp discussions or something not sure. if i read that correctly, can a current student pls elaborate on that. thanks in advance.

We currently have 2 programs.

1) The traditional lecture based program. Within this program you also have small group discussions where you take what you learned and use information that you found on your own.
2) PBL: This is limited to about 8 people. In order to get into PBL you need to fill out an application that gets sent to you. You have already been accepted to the school so if you do not get into the PBL program, this does NOT mean that you not accepted to the school. The purpose of the interview is to create a cohesive group of people that can work together. If you are in PBL and you feel that it is not for you, I believe you have 1 month to change over to the lecture based.

Right now, we are waiting on COCA to tell us if we can change our curriculum to a more systems/problem based approach. So there will be more of a mix. Sometime lectures and sometime PBL.

For those who have gotten UMDNJ interviews so far, quick question: Were your letters of rec solely from UMDNJ alum?

It was an interview :D UMDNJ SOM is my top choice!! So psyched. One of my friends is class of 2012 and he loves it there. Can't wait! thanks for the advice everyone! :thumbup:

Hi,

I am currently a PBL student. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Congrats on your interview! Especially with UMDNJ, Keep in mind that if you have an interview, they already want you and just want to make sure you are what you say you are on paper. I went on 11 interviews. All of the interviews were the typical hour to hour and half for me, except UMDNJ. It was like 20 minutes and they seemed slightly annoyed that I had more questions. So for me UMDNJ wasn't a typical interview. It sort of threw me off because I thought they didn't like me. But it is the opposite, I was pretty much accepted already.... they just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy :0) Regardless of typical or atypical a interview is, approach all interviews the same way and always go with questions. Become best friends with the interview feedback section of studentdoctor: http://more.studentdoctor.net/welcome.php. It tells you everything you need to know about interviewing at specific schools. During my time, it was very accurate. All interviews will question the flaws in your application. So if there are any, be prepared to have an answer. All Osteopathic schools will ask you about Osteopathy....make sure you know who A.T. Still is. Everything else in the interview is how you make it. All of my interviews asked the same questions specific to my application. My approach to all my interviews was:
1- Be prepared to answer questions about the flaws in my app
2- Make sure they forget about the flaws by accentuating all of the positives in my app. I had a lot of clinical experience, so they focused on that and forgot about whatever they considered a flaw. Hone into your attributes and be confident about them.
3- If you did research, you better be able to talk about it eloquently. It's always good to add what you learned from it. For the research I did, I talked about the techniques I learned. More importantly, I made the clinical correlation to that research and talked about how it will end up being useful in practice. Example: my research further the understanding of the mechanistic basis of cardiovascular disease in order to develop appropriate therapeutic responses. As a result, it can provide a framework for physicians to better treat their patients.
4- When they ask you what your strengths and weaknesses are, make sure your weakness still sound like a strength. Example: Being a perfectionist allows you to be very detailed oriented. Being very hard on yourself allows you to remain focused and be the best you you can possibly be.
5- Know about the school. Be able to give little tidbits facts to show that you know about the school and you did your research.
6- Know about a current affair in medicine and be able to talk about it. I used the millions of uninsured people in our country. If you are able to tie it into the activities you've done, great. I was able to tie that into the clinical experiences I had.
7- Always have a question if they ask if you have any questions. If they don't ask you if you have any questions.... you better have a question anyway.

As far as classes being mandatory: yes they are mandatory, but there are ways to get around that. You'll learn for you what are good classes to attend and not attend, and you will make it work for you.

If anyone has questions specifically geared to me, please send me a private message. I don't always come on these threads, but I'm very happy to provide advice from my experiences

Good luck to all of you on your journey!

Thank you for the detailed response eag! Looking forward to the interview trail.:thumbup:

thanx EMT for clarifying. Congrats to all those with interviews, if only my prehealth office will send my letters ASAP.

We currently have 2 programs.

1) The traditional lecture based program. Within this program you also have small group discussions where you take what you learned and use information that you found on your own.
2) PBL: This is limited to about 8 people. In order to get into PBL you need to fill out an application that gets sent to you. You have already been accepted to the school so if you do not get into the PBL program, this does NOT mean that you not accepted to the school. The purpose of the interview is to create a cohesive group of people that can work together. If you are in PBL and you feel that it is not for you, I believe you have 1 month to change over to the lecture based.

Right now, we are waiting on COCA to tell us if we can change our curriculum to a more systems/problem based approach. So there will be more of a mix. Sometime lectures and sometime PBL.

If anyone can answer this by tomorrow that would be great because I really need to send this app in already, partially because of the whole being early reason and partly over anxiety (this whole med school application process is soooooooo nerve-wracking! haha)

How do u send the secondary in? Did you e-mail it or did you print it out, handwrite the information and then attached typed essays? Please respond ASAP...thanksssss guys!

print it, fill it out, attach typed essay, and don't forget the $90, sign it and mail it.

If anyone can answer this by tomorrow that would be great because I really need to send this app in already, partially because of the whole being early reason and partly over anxiety (this whole med school application process is soooooooo nerve-wracking! haha)

How do u send the secondary in? Did you e-mail it or did you print it out, handwrite the information and then attached typed essays? Please respond ASAP...thanksssss guys!

I got in!! Interviewed on the 17th and accepted on the 19th. For those of you who are interviewing soon, congratulations. It is an amazing program and it compleatly blew me away. I know it sounds generic to say that but I am sure you will all be very impressed as well. The interview process was very smooth and more of a conversation. No specific questions were asked, we just sat down and talked. The campus is very very nice. The students are genuinly happy and I never got the impression that they were trying to "sell" their school. They pretty much told me that what I saw is how it was. I also got to sit in a 2nd year Pathology class.

I got in!! Interviewed on the 17th and accepted on the 19th. For those of you who are interviewing soon, congratulations. It is an amazing program and it compleatly blew me away. I know it sounds generic to say that but I am sure you will all be very impressed as well. The interview process was very smooth and more of a conversation. No specific questions were asked, we just sat down and talked. The campus is very very nice. The students are genuinly happy and I never got the impression that they were trying to "sell" their school. They pretty much told me that what I saw is how it was. I also got to sit in a 2nd year Pathology class.

Congratulations!!!!! What were your impressions of the class?

I liked it alot. The professor was very animated and was very good in getting information out of the students. I also liked the discussion part after the break where he put up the slides and worked out scenarios with the students.

I was also trying to figure out if you were there. I coulnt find somebody with very yellow skin and glasses..lol.

I liked it alot. The professor was very animated and was very good in getting information out of the students. I also liked the discussion part after the break where he put up the slides and worked out scenarios with the students.

I was also trying to figure out if you were there. I coulnt find somebody with very yellow skin and glasses..lol.

Did he seem to call out 1 name repeatedly while you were there? If so, that is me.

congrats Fp02c!The speed at which your application was processsed is amazing.Didn't you get your interview invite soon after you submitted your secondary? It took me almost 3 weeks to get an interview!You must have amazing stats or something.

I am in! Got a call around 3pm. Interview 9/12, in today! Committee meets every 3rd Friday of the month, but they called the same day! My #1 choice! I am so happy!

Congrats Fp02c! We are now classmates it seems! Thank you very much EMT2ER for all your help and advice!

Nice. Congrats to you as well!!

So... what next? Facebook group? lol

Nice. Congrats to you as well!!

So... what next? Facebook group? lol

Just saw your mdapps link. Cool stats. Can't wait for my interview.

congrats Fp02c!The speed at which your application was processsed is amazing.Didn't you get your interview invite soon after you submitted your secondary? It took me almost 3 weeks to get an interview!You must have amazing stats or something.

Nope... no amazing stats. Pretty average to be honest I think I just got a little lucky with submitting early and being a diff applicant in some ways. Congrats on the interview. It is pretty easy. It seems like if they are interviewing you, they are very interested already.. so be yourself and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
hey guys,

I just scheduled my interview! So excited. I just wanted to make sure, my interview is at 10:30, do I have to be there at 8 or can I come at 10:00 or something?

Just wanna make sure i dont miss anything.

hey guys,

I just scheduled my interview! So excited. I just wanted to make sure, my interview is at 10:30, do I have to be there at 8 or can I come at 10:00 or something?

Just wanna make sure i dont miss anything.

What date? Mine is on the 2nd of October at 10:30. Am planning on coming around 10 because they have quite a few people to interview before me.

What date? Mine is on the 2nd of October at 10:30. Am planning on coming around 10 because they have quite a few people to interview before me.

mines on the 8th, they offered me 3 choices I choose the latest one :D

wow, it seems like a lot of people have gotten interviews...i JUST sent out my primary. i met a graduate of UMDNJ who is a resident at the hospital where i work, in the area i'm interested in (neurology) and spoke highly of the medical school. so now i'm inspired to apply. it sounds great so far from the comments on this thread ;)

Does anybody know UMDNJ's policy on merit scholarships? I have been reading online and through sdn on people who got full / half tuition scholarships. Does this information come with our acceptance package? or is it decided later on in the cycle who gets them

I am asking because UMDNJ is my top choice. Getting a scholarship would be the icing on the cake. I would drop every other interview and commit.

wow, it seems like a lot of people have gotten interviews...i JUST sent out my primary. i met a graduate of UMDNJ who is a resident at the hospital where i work, in the area i'm interested in (neurology) and spoke highly of the medical school. so now i'm inspired to apply. it sounds great so far from the comments on this thread ;)

Not too late. It is September afterall. You should get verified in less than 6 weeks since you've applied way after the peak period. Right now, try to download, print and fill out the UMDNJ secondary online. That way, you'll submit it as soon as you're verified.

got an interview...
i set mine for October 3rd in the afternoon
anyone else going to be there? i went to the interview feedback, but only one from this year...is the interview with 1 or 2 interviews?
I have heard different responses...

Hi everybody! Congrats to those accepted!

Last edited:
New interview feedback posted. Good luck on your interviews all!

did anyone have an AACOMAS fee waiver? I am ready to submit my secondary, but have not had any luck getting a return email as to whether they offer a fee waiver. Can anyone help me out?

they do offer a waiver for 3 schools only (that was what it was last yr). Its hard to get it though.
I already got the fee waiver from the AACOMAS, but most schools I have applied to (with the exception of LECOM) offer a waiver for the secondary if an AACOMAS waiver was given. I have emailed the admissions office twice now, but have not heard back from them. I don't want to send my application without payment or verification that they offer a fee waiver.

so all u guys who interviewed today should leave some feedback in the database :D

Status
Not open for further replies.