UMass Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RuthP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hiya!

Didn't see a class thread, so I figured I would start one for any other folks out there that are definetly/maybe/possibly thinking of attending UMass. I'm somewhere around 99% certain that Worcester will be my new home in the Fall and despite my fear of moving from Boston to Worcester :eek: I can't wait!

So.... anyone else a potentially UMass class of '11???

Members don't see this ad.

Hiya!

Didn't see a class thread, so I figured I would start one for any other folks out there that are definetly/maybe/possibly thinking of attending UMass. I'm somewhere around 99% certain that Worcester will be my new home in the Fall and despite my fear of moving from Boston to Worcester :eek: I can't wait!

So.... anyone else a potentially UMass class of '11???

I can probably speak for about 20 or so others out there on other UMass SDN posts when I say that they are all maybe/possibly attending UMass in the Fall, but they have to wait another 6-8 weeks (or more) to find out! :mad: AHHHHHHH! Sorry. Just venting. My wife interviewed in November and has yet to hear. I am certain that the mailman and the Umass Medical school webmaster think we are crazy.

From past experience and reading threads, a majority of acceptances and rejections come back in April.

Hi and thanks for starting the thread! I will definitely be attending UMass - :luck: to all those still waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an MS1 here, so let me know if you guys have any questions. Congrats! Ya'll are gonna love UMass, it rocks.

I started a med school blog recently, you may find it interesting/useful/scary: http://www.schmolze.com/scalpel/

See you in June.

Daniel

yay! I'm psyched to check back and see activity on the thread!

Cueball - I'll be thinking good thoughts for your wife, and yea, it definetly seems like UMass waits a long time to send out many of their acceptances. I feel your pain... and good luck!

BallerinaDoc - Hi future classmate! Scary thought, huh?

Thanks Daniel for the warm welcome, and blog link. I'll definetly be checking it out.

...all of a sudden this seems so real!!!.... :eek:

I Hate Waiting!!!

....bump....

I know a bunch of people just got off the waitlist this week - CONGRATS! :)

....bump....

I know a bunch of people just got off the waitlist this week - CONGRATS! :)

Hey Ruth,

My wife will be joining you at UMass in the Fall (pulled from waitlist on 5/17). :thumbup: We are elated! :D She already received a few emails from Umass (since the acceptance) and spent yesterday afternoon completing piles of paperwork. Any idea what time orientation is on 6/2?

I'm still waiting for my acceptance letter to arrive, but I found this link on the UMass website concerning the schedule for June 2.

http://www.umassmed.edu/studentaffairs/information/summerorientation.aspx

See you guys then.

Excellent, thanks jayspeed. The acceptance letter envelope didn't have a lot of information (hard copy acceptance form to complete if you haven't already accepted/don't want to accept on Peoplesoft) and an info sheet on Financial aid.

I like this sentence on the orientation page:

You are more than welcome to bring your family / friends / significant other; however, you may want to bring your own car as the Class of 2010 will be hosting an ‘after orientation get together’ at a location to be determined - immediately following the Orientation.

"at a location to be determined" - aka, a seedy bar. ;)

I know this will be addressed at the summer orientation event in June, but has anyone thought about housing, where to live, when we should move in (considering that MOE begins on August 1), etc.?

I actually just looked at an apartment in Worcester earlier today. I've been trying to find places that are around $500/ month and pet friendly. Have you been getting all of the spam messages?

As far as when to move in, I'd say look for an August lease and talk to the landlord about moving in a day or two early since MOE is August 1st. I'm trying to find a place in Worcester, not an apartment complex though.

I actually just looked at an apartment in Worcester earlier today. I've been trying to find places that are around $500/ month and pet friendly. Have you been getting all of the spam messages?

I just started getting those messages. I'm flying back to go to the orientation so hopefully there will be time to see some of the non-apartment complexes and get a feel for the area.

I know this will be addressed at the summer orientation event in June, but has anyone thought about housing, where to live, when we should move in (considering that MOE begins on August 1), etc.?

We're actually fortunate. We're staying put in the Metrowest area. It will be a 40-45 minute ride each way for my wife, but we're tied to a mortgage in a not-so-great market right now. So, we aren't looking to move right now. I'd offer my place to you, but it's a one bedroom and my teenage cat, who stays in the living room, likes to run over people's faces while they sleep at night. :D

Hello classmates,

I just got in off the waitlist last week, so I missed the orientation at the beginning of the month. Could you fill me in on what happened and what I missed? Thanks!

Hello classmates,

I just got in off the waitlist last week, so I missed the orientation at the beginning of the month. Could you fill me in on what happened and what I missed? Thanks!

I could fill you in, but it will take 4-5 hours. ;) I know that one girl that was at the orientation was accepted last minute last year, so she was able to go to this year's orientation. I think that UMass will mail/email you a lot of information. One thing to consider: The M.O.E. trip from August 1-4. I think that 85 students from last year's class went. Good chance to meet and get to know your future classmates.

Which lender are you using for Stafford loans? And why?

Thank you!

Which lender are you using for Stafford loans? And why?

Thank you!

We used T.H.E. because the website was easy to navigate and had a lot of bonuses for on time payments, automatic debit, etc. (we think that it added up to almost 2% in savings). However, UMass suggested that you use the same lender as your undergrad loans for ease of payment (1 payment versus multiple). We did not, but we may switch to Sallie Mae (that was what we used for undergrad) next year.

Enjoy your first day of classes, '11!

hmm, is that early for med schools starting dates? hopefully I'll be there next year.

hmm, is that early for med schools starting dates? hopefully I'll be there next year.

I think that that is the norm. UMass started on 8/9. The other school that my wife applied to started on 8/8.