UMaryland or UNC??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ag1104

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am oos at both schools and trying to make my final decision since I was accepted to UMD and UNC. I know both offer a great clinical education but is one school more well respected nationally? I am planning (as of now) to return to the northeast after school and don't know which school would be better to choose for that reason. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I think Umaryland school of dentistry was the 1st dental school in the world.The new building was over 140 million USD, the highest spent by the state of Maryland on an academic building.
If your want to practice in northeast after school, Umaryland is definitely good choice. Because you will take North East Regional Board of Dental Examiners. (NC does not accept NERB)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Cons:

1. classes are too full
2. budget cuts, school lost 16 professors and not replacing them all last year (several moved to ECU and a dozen more moving to UAE- new campus
3. not enough clinic chairs
4. students are too competitive and cut throat (there isn't a great sense of community)
5. hard to find patients and retain patients for specific treatments and requirements
6. too much focus (in my opinion) on research and didatic studies versus clinic
7. too much extra bull**** work, like papers
8. not enough focus on clinical, too much red tape to get through just to get procedures done
9. tough perio department

Plus a lot of politics goes around in Admissions' department. They just don't write recommendation letters to any one for post-grad programs.

I know I would definitely choose UNC.

First decision is cost of attendance. Second is distance from home. Third is intangibles: reputation, specialization, safety of school/city, number of clinic chairs.