UK MPharm student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lichung

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am studying Master of Pharmacy 2nd year in UK. This is a 4-year undergraduate master programme. I have to take a 12-month pre-registration placement after graduation and then sit for a registration exam in order to obtain a Pharmacist Licence in UK. I am interested in working in the US after my graduation and I got the following questions:
1) FPGEE requires 5 years of pharmacy education while my programme last for 4 years only, will I be qualified to sit the exam?
2) Can I summit my FPGEE application before graduation?
3) Can I summit my FPGEE application without having the UK pharmacist licence?
4) Are there any holiday programmes held by pharmacies / universities for foreign pharmacy students like me?

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure, but I think you cannot sit for the FPGEE unless it is a five year program and you would have to apply to one of the International Pharmacy programs such as at Nova School of Pharmacy in Fort Lauderdale, FL.
http://pharmacy.nova.edu is the link and click on international program.

There are several other programs as well. You can check them out.

I am not sure about the answers to the otehr questions though.

You must be from China but studying in Britain with your screen name! Good luck!

I too am from the UK and am currently in California

To answer your questions.

1) I think you qualify for the FPGEE after your 4 year Uni and 1 year pre-reg hence the 5 years.

2) You can submit your application before but it will not be approved until you get your pharmacist licence so better to wait until you fully qualify

3) I believe the FPGEE if for Foreign Pharmacists so you do have to be registered as a pharmacist before they will approve your application

4) I havent heard of any holiday programs for UK pharmacists.

You know what state you would be interested in?

Nice to meet you tusker73,
thx for your detailed answers :)

I can hardly find any UK graduates practicing in the US
you are the first one actually ^^

I am interested in California actually because some of my relatives live there
Can you tell me how long does it take to go through all the stuff (FPGEE, intern, CPJE, NAPLEX)?
Also, is it possible for me to apply holiday placement job in the industry / hospital / community of the US? Do you think it is useful?

Members don't see this ad :)
hello!!

i am a pharmacy graduate and a licensed one here in philippines..ive been planning to work abroad.in the US or UK..so the curriculum in UK is only 4 years??well that's one of my problems now because its so difficult to penetrate in US..can you tell me more about a pharmacy work there in UK and in what particular place are you there? would it be right for me to say that we can sit for necessary exams needed for us to work there as pharmacist and not need for us to get any aother study programs as US require because of the 5 year curriculum? can you help me on how can i get some information what are the necessary requirements for me to work there? ive been surfing the net but cant get absolute details..well..why dont you want to practice there? isnt compensating??can you tell more informations please,....thnx..good luck for taking the licensure exam soon..

I'm also from the uk,but not yet started a pharmacy course. If you follow this link and click on the careers section 'obtaining a us licence', there is informatin of a uk trained pharmacist practising in the us, and the length of the process.
http://www.pjonline.com/Hospital/ContentsPages/Contents200604.html

Also take a look at this website, you'll find there is official information regarding eligibility for the fpgee.
http://www.nabp.net/

By the way which university do you attend, there are some pharmacy schools in the uk which offer a 5 year curriculum, such a bradfords 5 yr intergrated pre-registration program and courses with a foundation yr.

I too am from the UK and am currently in California

To answer your questions.

1) I think you qualify for the FPGEE after your 4 year Uni and 1 year pre-reg hence the 5 years."
is that just ur random thought or u actully confirmed this? cuz I'm in my second year pharm in Australia.. and I would really want to practice in States after.. cuz all my family are in States... in Aussie.. we have 4 years and 1 year pre-reg.. .. so. I would be classified as foreign graduates after 2001.. plz reply as soon as possible