UF vs. Nova class of 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brielle Doc

Accepted to Dental School
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! UF and Nova are my two top choice schools and I was luckily accepted to both of them on December 1st. Now I am going CRAZYYYY trying to make a choice. I would love the opinion of any current students at both schools or anyone who has already made this choice and reasons why they made this choice! Thank you sooooo much! Anything helps! :)
AND CONGRATS to everyone who got accepted!!! :highfive:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey-o. I attended interviews at both schools. I'll be honest, I liked the staff at Nova more. However, I would choose UF over and over again because of the cost. Consider the debt you will have post graduation. I got waitlisted at UF and I am sad because the cost of that school makes me shiver with glee. Take your time and don't rush into any decisions. Good luck.

I was in this same position a year ago and ended up attending NOVA. The first two years of dental school are gonna be very stressful no matter where you go, so you definitely want to enjoy the little free time you do get to the fullest. Now think about this, Nova is ten minutes away from some of the best beaches in the world and 30 minutes away from South Beach. What more could you ask for? Location is 18518537 times better than Gainesville. The school sets you up to do well clinically I believe. There are low income areas in the Miami area so there is never a shortage of patients. I know of a good amount of people who have gotten into specialty programs in previous years. Dental school will be what you make of it. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thank you sooooo much for the advice!!! Honestly, I am more in favor of Nova-the students are a lot more like me and I get along with the faculty extremely well-it just feels right and clicks for me instantly when I'm there. I also like UF too though-it was a good experience and it's a great school as well-the students seem down to earth and the faculty was very helpful when I was there. The only reason I am even asking is because of the money situation. I have to borrow everything from tuition to living expenses. Did you have to do this too? And if so, do you think it's going to make it a lot harder later than if you had UF's tuition? I just want to make sure I'm absolutely making the right choice...Thanks again! I know you're busy with finals and everything so I truly appreciate it!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I DID take out loans for tuition and living expenses. UF's tuition costs are cheaper but I don't think you should base your decision solely on cost. It should be a small factor but not your deciding factor. I know many people who are in the same position as me and no one really seems to be worried. As a dentist, you will be making a good amount of money so paying off loans shouldn't be too difficult. Find a good fit for YOU, that's the most important thing. You only go to dental school once. Make the best of it.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I dont know if this an appropiate question, or if it has been discussed somewhere else, but:

What were the interview questions (if you can remember) when you had your interview? Was there an essay?

I have my interview on January 5th, and I am hoping to get a little bit of insight into the school (unlike my other interviews). lol

Fortunately, I have 2 other acceptances, But I REALLY am excited about Nova and I would really like to rock out on the interview.

UF will save you tons of money... I mean the educations are comparable with UF edging Nova out somewhat with clinical education. Don't get me wrong Fort Laudy is awesome but I would rather pay my $400 a month rent in Gainesville vs. the $800 a month in Ft.Lauderdale. You can always live there once you are out of school and vacation there (you will enjoy it more anyways).

Nova's interview (at least for me) was very relaxed. It was just a simple conversation. My interviewer asked standard questions like why do you want to be a dentist, what are your strength/weaknesses, asked me about extracurriculars/research/etc. and then we just talked about random stuff that was happening in both of our lives. It was by far the most relaxed interview out of all the ones that I have had.

Now think about this, Nova is ten minutes away from some of the best beaches in the world and 30 minutes away from South Beach. What more could you ask for?

oh GOD! the worst advice of the year for picking dental school on sdn. Really?? cost should be a small factor? Do yourself a favor and go talk to a dentist about debt.

I was in this same position a year ago and ended up attending NOVA. The first two years of dental school are gonna be very stressful no matter where you go, so you definitely want to enjoy the little free time you do get to the fullest. Now think about this, Nova is ten minutes away from some of the best beaches in the world and 30 minutes away from South Beach. What more could you ask for? Location is 18518537 times better than Gainesville. The school sets you up to do well clinically I believe. There are low income areas in the Miami area so there is never a shortage of patients. I know of a good amount of people who have gotten into specialty programs in previous years. Dental school will be what you make of it. Hope this helps.

I'm sorry but this is just crap. Go to the school that you can graduate the fastest (low attrition rate) for the cheapest. You'll have plenty of time to hang out at beaches and clubs when you get out of school. The question then will be, do you have the money?

I'm going to chip in my $0.02 as someone who lives in Ft. Lauderdale ~10 miles away from Nova, and has several friends attending UF dental and med. First off, if you choose to base your decision on location, I still think UF might win that contest. It's true that Nova is only about 20ish minutes from Fort Lauderdale beach (without traffic), but the actual location of the campus is in Davie, which is kind of a desolate area west of Fort Lauderdale. I mean the weather is still great, and if you're ever suddenly overcome with the urge to hit the beach it's nice to know that you actually can. Aside from that, I'd say the 5-10 mile radius surrounding UF's dental school is much more lively and fun. Overall, I'd say UF feels more similar to the classic undergraduate college experience (big school in a college town) whereas Nova is a much smaller commuter-style school.

As far as which is the 'better' school, is there really any question? UF beats out Nova in reputation, class size, cost, research (I think UF COD is ranked #4 in NIH research funding), boards....

I'm really not trying to hate on Nova at all. I actually think Dr. Lippman and the faculty there make themselves super approachable, and consistently try to accept applicants who will be team players and contribute to the cooperative student dynamic. I've talked to Dr. Lippman one-on-one, and he is really big on personality - you can have perfect stats, but they aren't going to accept you if they think you're the cut-throat type. I very much admire that, and I'm not sure the same philosophy holds true at UF.

Congratulations on your acceptances, and good luck with choosing the best fit for you!