UF vs Illinois (OOS for both)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plants1234

Reaction score
I unexpectedly got into both UF and Illinois and I know the date is coming up so so soon, but I cannot decide where to go. For reference, I live in Indiana, so Illinois would be the safe options near family, but I am not sure if I need to go expand my horizons a little in Florida. I had planned to just go to Florida, but after touring Illinois I found out all it really had to offer. As of right now I am planning to study mixed-animals and would love to work with goats at some point. So what I really need insight on is curriculum, career/growth opportunities, and how helpful the school is to the student.

Illinois (pros)
•quarter system with 1 quarter clinicals (meaning only one cumulative test a quarter)
•early clinicals
•close to home
•wildlife center
•study abroad opportunities
(cons)
•very small town
•too close to home?
•more expensive

Florida (pros)
•in a growing community
•nicer hospital
•staff/other students seem to really care about you
•cheaper
•small ruminant extension program
•certification programs
(cons)
•weird class schedule (would be tests almost every week though less material)
•clinicals start later
•far from home

Members don't see this ad.

more expensive

How much more expensive is Illinois?

That should be your very first consideration. Nothing else will affect you as much for the rest of your career.

Otherwise it sounds like if Florida has a program relevant to your interests (small ruminant extension program) that would be beneficial as well.

Tagging some Illinois peeps @SkiOtter @battie @SportPonies in case they want to weigh in on specifics. I can't think of current Florida students off the top of my head :thinking:

But again, cost should be the big determining factor in most cases.

Reactions: 1 user
Regarding the exams: there is a midterm and final each quarter, not just one exam. So you’ll have a big exam on week 4 and week 8.

Everyone has different opinions about how close to home is too close, but being about 3.5 hours from home meant I could make it home on holidays and short notice (when my cat went into kidney failure suddenly first year, I was able to be home in hours to euthanize rather than not being there for her).

I do think that the distance was enough to get an “away from home” experience without being too far, but your mileage may vary.

I adored the wildlife clinic and ambassador program (of which I led for several years). @SkiOtter was also a part of ambassadors and @battie was in the WMC.

But I agree with Dubz. First and foremost, money comes first. If it’s a difference of a few thousand dollars, maybe no big deal. If we’re talking tens of thousands then that matters more.

Reactions: 1 user
Illinois (pros)
•quarter system with 1 quarter clinicals (meaning only one cumulative test a quarter)
•early clinicals
•close to home
•wildlife center
•study abroad opportunities
(cons)
•very small town
•too close to home?
•more expensive
1. Now that I'm practicing, the quarter of clinics during 1st and 2nd year didn't really ultimately help me from a knowledge stand point. I would much rather have the structure of Mississippi or Mizzou. Likewise, as a student, I loved rotation vacation because it was a nice break from classes. I think YMMV though.

2. Closeness to home is definitely a personal choice. I'm from Denver, so I only left for long holidays (no long weekends) and one drastic family emergency when me sister died. And even then, it was a process cause my dad came to get me. It didn't bother me to be so far away with holidays and stuff. But it sucked when my sister died during and after the whole event.

3. WMC was one of the highlights of my experience. 10/10 would recommend.

4. I went to undergrad in a town or 5,000 people with 1 stop light and 3mi^2 of actually constructed town (after growing up in Denver). To me, Champaign-Urbana is big enough to supply things to do while being small enough to be affordable. I did way more in undergrad in town than I ever did in Champaign too because I dedicated *a lot* of time to vet school extra curriculars.
Florida (pros)
•in a growing community
•nicer hospital
•staff/other students seem to really care about you
•cheaper
•small ruminant extension program
•certification programs
(cons)
•weird class schedule (would be tests almost every week though less material)
•clinicals start later
•far from home
1. Illinois has essentially a brand new small animal hospital. The large animal hospital can never be completely redone without complete and total demolition, but has been getting upgrades, including an updated surgery suite in the coming years.

2. I know to a certain extent I am somewhat in the minority, but I think the vast majority of Illinois staff/faculty care about the students. I would have failed out a second time when my sister died without the support of my class and the adults around me. There are certainly things I would change. But overall, I think the students are cared about.

I will also point out that the point of open houses and tours is to sell you the school. I was the student coordinator for Illinois tour guides and definitely talked the school up for the sake of showing off the school. So keep that in mind.

3. Illinois production medicine club and equine clubs are easily in the top 5 most active clubs on campus. You can get a ton of experience through the large animal department at school if you know where to look.

4. Certification programs are worthwhile if you'll use them. Like the shelter program at UF blows everyone else out of the water essentially. But ultimately isn't very applicable to the majority of students. Same with the forensics cert. If you're going to go into forensics or do ER, it's a great resource. For those doing general practice, you'll hardly use it. Wouldn't recommend certifications being a deciding factor for vet school.

5. The testing schedule is definitely personal preference. Having 1 big test every 4 weeks made it easy to be complacent. Likewise, I didn't have that stress every week.

I'll echo the sentiment of going with the cheaper location. I actually really like going to Illinois for vet school. But I was always going to go to the cheapest school I was accepted to. They all get you to the same place in the end and there really is nothing that any school offers that makes their degree better or makes a student more likely to specialize.

Reactions: 1 users