UCSD Cardiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

traineemd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a medicine resident in one of the top 5 int med programs. I am interested in Cardiology. However I am in the northeast and would like more info on programs on the west coast (I have to say we on the east coast tend to be quite ignorant about the programs on the west coast). My wife and I have friends in San Diego and loved the city when we visited it last year. I wanted to know the quality and reputation of the UCSD Cardiology program, especially how it compares to other top university programs. Input from west coast folks would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I'm an MSIV at UCSD, planning on going into cards, and have done a lot of work in cards here. IMO its an excellent academic program. JACC is/has been based here for several years, and there's some really well known peope (Anthony DeMaria in particular). The fellows here work really hard though, and some are happy with their decision to come here but others definitely are not. In comparison, I'd say UCSD cards is probably better than UCLA, but not as good as UCSF or Stanford.

Myostatin said:
Hi. I'm an MSIV at UCSD, planning on going into cards, and have done a lot of work in cards here. IMO its an excellent academic program. JACC is/has been based here for several years, and there's some really well known peope (Anthony DeMaria in particular). The fellows here work really hard though, and some are happy with their decision to come here but others definitely are not. In comparison, I'd say UCSD cards is probably better than UCLA, but not as good as UCSF or Stanford.

That's funny, at my UCSF interview, the intervierer, an academic cardiologist, said that UCLA's cards maybe the best in cali, even better than UCSF. Go figure? If you look at reputation ratings from USNEw Best Hospitals I think it goes 1) Stanford 2) UCLA 3) UCSF 4) Cedars and UCSD unranked. But, you are right, JACC is there, and they have a great program and great faculty.

Members don't see this ad :)
ucla2usc said:
That's funny, at my UCSF interview, the intervierer, an academic cardiologist, said that UCLA's cards maybe the best in cali, even better than UCSF. Go figure? If you look at reputation ratings from USNEw Best Hospitals I think it goes 1) Stanford 2) UCLA 3) UCSF 4) Cedars and UCSD unranked. But, you are right, JACC is there, and they have a great program and great faculty.

I would think twice before randomly assigning cardiology ranks based on overall reputation of an institution. There are plenty of places that aren't considered "elite" institutions (in general and/or for IM) but which boast awsome cardiology programs (often built up simply because cards is the money maker for most internal medicine divisions)
Examples: Loyola Chicago, Scripps Clinic, Baylor Dallas

Below are the Cali list based on the 2005 US News Rankings

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/best-hospitals/rankings/specihqcard.htm

11) Stanford
13) UCLA (they have a list of their fellows backgrounds on their site)
14) Cedars-Sinai
21) UC Davis
27) UCSF

ucladukes said:
I would think twice before randomly assigning cardiology ranks based on overall reputation of an institution. There are plenty of places that aren't considered "elite" institutions (in general and/or for IM) but which boast awsome cardiology programs (often built up simply because cards is the money maker for most internal medicine divisions)
Examples: Loyola Chicago, Scripps Clinic, Baylor Dallas

Below are the Cali list based on the 2005 US News Rankings

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/best-hospitals/rankings/specihqcard.htm

11) Stanford
13) UCLA (they have a list of their fellows backgrounds on their site)
14) Cedars-Sinai
21) UC Davis
27) UCSF

I agree...ratings are lame. But in my defense, I was listing according to reputation ratings: 1) Stanford 14.6 2) UCLA 6.7 3) UCSF 6.6 4) Cedars 4.4 5) UCD 0.4

myostatin, could explain what you mean by some fellows definitely not being happy, Is it because of the workload? All Cardiology fellowship programs are hard I think. Do you think UCSD stands out as being particularly malignant?
What do the fellows not like that you have worked with?