Ucsd 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stressfullife

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my acceptance letter on last week saturday. anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

did you accept? I just did :) and reluctantly let go of UCSF, but I think I made the right choice

did you accept? I just did :) and reluctantly let go of UCSF, but I think I made the right choice

Hi SummaBreez, congratulations on making such a difficult decision between two wonderfully great schools.

Can you share your reasoning for picking UCSD over UCSF...maybe it can help some of us in the same situation :).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone !

I really hope this helps people. So trust me it was the farthest thing from easy. In fact I was more of a wreck with all my acceptances, than before interviews/app. process.

So if you choose UCSF you're set, you'll do great. I can't find anything negative about that program really, but other aspects I can. I really value my comfort for 4 yrs, something I am certain I would never get at UCSF. I have spoken to 5+ graduates of SF all of whom loved their edu, and all of whom wanted to get out of there so badly by their 2nd year. Let me just tell you my Pros for UCSD

-We get a whole building (vs. a section/rm of one)
-We get sunshine (i'm depressed without it for long periods of time)
-We get warmth (my friends researched in SF jun-aug and bein from socal like me had to wear a minimum of 3 layers per day and then unwrap in buildings---I Like my t-shirts and tanks!)
-We are in hospital heaven (way more than wats located in the SF area)
-We have a small class (actually gets u better networking, from what currents students tell me, and we're all close to each other)
-Pass/Fail is very do-able, takes away those crazies who want A's, though honors is available
-So far so 100% on Naplex test, and way above CA avg which is way above national avg.
-An overwhelming majority of both previous classes are in residency (they encourage it, and retail is done by little, though always an option and completely your choice)
-THe med schoool is ranked soooo high (5th public med in the nation) and we're taking classes with em!--do you really think we'll be looked down upon as pharmacists?
-Talking to students in the charter SD class, jobwise ---exactly wat they want--they are doing. THIS IS KEY FOR ME and after having this talk, I was like y would I go to SF again?...because SD is too new for what?
-UCSD actually has a huge name in academia too, believe it or not, research or clinical--all of it...And charter members have been taken in jobs very welcomed
-I get to be close to family :)
-We get to go down in history
-We are going to get up there soon anyways, it's just a matter of time
-San Diego is just plain old beautiful! --I could vacation in SF, just not live.
-IT's harder to get into SD than SF right now.
-I like to be the rebel ;)....so many relatives/faculty think I'm super crazy for turning down SF, and I'm sure you guys are goin to be dealing with peer pressure--but what's so bad about UCSD--and give me a better reason than new? It has a great standard to live up to, and we will just help that.

I think there's more, but I'm about ready to get my Triton pride on with someone, so if you decide SD please let me know :) so we can be excited together. I spent so much time the last few weeks in sheer anxiety over this. BUt no more, this is right for me, and I like a comfortable environment. I truly hope your choice comes to you quicker than it did me. From faculty members I hear, we are in good hands, no matter which of the 2 we pick. So much luck everyone and of course it would be nice to meet you at SD.

Gluck with finals for anyone suffering through them like me this next week!

I had to make the EASY decision of choosing UCSD over USC and UCSF!! :D UCSD blows the other schools out of the water in my eyes.

What are you guys doing for housing?

That's a good question and I'm really not sure. I think it would be nice to find out when we as grad students begin, because Med students begin in AUG, so maybe we can adjust our housing arrangements that way.

What about yourself?

I'm pretty sure UCSD starts in September along with the rest of the undergrad school. I would recommend applying to grad housing (housing.ucsd.edu) since they have pretty nice housing options for really reasonable costs (i.e. single grad apartments + one miramar apartments). There's a pretty long wait though, but might as well and see what you can get.

I'm currently an undergrad at UCSD so just my two cents :)

I put my name on the wait-list for student housing...if I don't get in there...there are some semi-cheap apartments near the street "regents" I think it was...lol but yeah that's what I'm planning on doing.

I think it would be nice to find out when we as grad students begin, because Med students begin in AUG, so maybe we can adjust our housing arrangements that way.

P1s start the same time as the undergrads (late September). You'll start taking classes with the MS's when you're a P2, that is when classes will start the day after labor day (traditionally).

hey guys! i just sent in my acceptance to ucsd school of pharmacy class of 2012!! i can't believe i actually made it this far and i'm so excited to meet you all! :)

does anyone know where most first year pharmacy/med students live? off campus? grad housing? i would prefer to live with pharmacy/med students but i'm not sure how the grad housing sets up the roommate situation.

Hey ya'll
for the soon to be SD'ers, join our facebook group:
HERE

Oh yeah, and our facebook page has pictures of One Miramar grad housing too, for those who may be interested.

Jost got into UCSD also! Excited for the move especially since I'm coming from Fresno. Fresno doesn't have much to offer. LOL.

congratulations!! lol I've been to Fresno... :eek:

Do any of you guys think it will be different going to school with a bunch of smart people?? haha the other pharm schools I got accepted to have an average gpa wayyy lower than UCSD....From undergrad, I'm used to being in class with 50-60% idiots, it will now be close to 100% genius :cool:

I was one of the lucky ones to get accepted into UCSD after being waitlisted. I made the decision to attend UCSD over USC within 7hr (rather than the 7 days they allowed). Have you guys received info about housing and financial aid via mail yet?

No not quite yet. Hopefully soon though. I want to get the hell out of this town!!

I received an email about financial aid...they said they will be mailing a packet out at the end of april

I received an email about financial aid...they said they will be mailing a packet out at the end of april
Did you receive the info about financial aid as an attachment with the e-mail stating that the packet will be sent out at the end of april? Just askin cause I haven't recieved anything about financial aid yet.

I received an email with a link for housing & financial aid. For financial aid, it gave a password and the link sent you to a pdf file with all the necessary forms. If you want to start on the forms now, you can probably call the school & ask them to send you the email...if not, just wait for the packet :)

Does anybody know:
If I've completed all of my pre-req's in prior semesters and have already been accepted to UCSD do I need to finish my BS even though I put on my application that I would finish in May?
I've been talkin to a lot of pharmacists and they've been tellin me to withdraw my application for graduation because I would receive more financial aid and more opportunities for scholarships as an undergrad. Has anyone heard this before?
Thanks for the help.