UCLA (IS) vs Penn (w/scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluegreen7448

Reaction score
UCLA (IS)
Pros:
  • H/P/F grading --> less competition
  • Close to home
  • 88 students --> more personalized experience?
  • Westwood, clean area
  • Networking in west coast
Cons:
  • Lack of patients
  • Outdated facilities
  • Lacking new technology? (please correct me if I'm wrong!)
  • LA traffic

Penn (w/scholarship)
Pros:
  • Scholarship --> makes the total cost the SAME as UCLA
  • New technology and facilities
  • New experience (lived in Socal for most of my life and I LOVE the east coast)
  • Clinically strong
  • Networking in east coast / big alumni name
  • #1 for oral surgery
Cons:
  • Graded
  • 150 class size + ~50 PASS students --> about 200 students
  • Heard from several students that it's more competitive than collaborative
  • Far from home
  • Possibly weather
  • Philly area is not the safest
Summary: I've visited both campuses before but was not able to see inside the facilities. I grew up in Socal and am very familiar with the LA/westwood area. I also received a huge scholarship from Penn but nothing from UCLA, making the total cost of attendance came out to be nearly the same. I'm currently interested in specializing in OMFS, but I'm open to other specialties. Overall, I think one school lacks what the other school has. Currently 50/50 on both schools -- please help me choose!

Members don't see this ad.

UCLA (IS)
Pros:
  • H/P/F grading --> less competition
  • Close to home
  • 88 students --> more personalized experience?
  • Westwood, clean area
  • Networking in west coast
Cons:
  • Lack of patients
  • Outdated facilities
  • Lacking new technology? (please correct me if I'm wrong!)
  • LA traffic

Penn (w/scholarship)
Pros:
  • Scholarship --> makes the total cost the SAME as UCLA
  • New technology and facilities
  • New experience (lived in Socal for most of my life and I LOVE the east coast)
  • Clinically strong
  • Networking in east coast / big alumni name
  • #1 for oral surgery
Cons:
  • Graded
  • 150 class size + ~50 PASS students --> about 200 students
  • Heard from several students that it's more competitive than collaborative
  • Far from home
  • Possibly weather
  • Philly area is not the safest
Summary: I've visited both campuses before but was not able to see inside the facilities. I grew up in Socal and am very familiar with the LA/westwood area. I also received a huge scholarship from Penn but nothing from UCLA, making the total cost of attendance came out to be nearly the same. I'm currently interested in specializing in OMFS, but I'm open to other specialties. Overall, I think one school lacks what the other school has. Currently 50/50 on both schools -- please help me choose!
ucla

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not in dental school, but I know I would much rather choose a school closer to home. Especially if other aspects were similar. But it does seem like Penn has a better program for your future?

I'd take your same pro-con list and rank what matters most to you. Thats what I ended up doing and it helped put things in perspective.

But if I were in your shoes, I'd choose UCLA

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with the above, I’d go with UCLA, smaller class size will be more convenient and the name of UCLA still compares to UPenn. Regarding omfs you may even change your mind. Be open to the opportunity of something else, dont dig your path already.

Reactions: 1 user
I was in the same exact situation as you - got into UCLA and Penn with scholarship back in the day. Currently in OMFS residency. Penn has some awesome OMFS attendings and you’re able to get super involved in the department if you want to. I can’t comment on UCLA. I was overall happy with my Penn experience.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Last edited: