UC Davis Class of 2009!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evade

Our Lady of DNA
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

I know there is a UCD c/o 2009 thread floating around in the Allopathic forum, but it is pretty well dead and lost in the sea of old threads. But hey, I'm still totally excited about this fall, and I know all of you out there must be too. I want to be a resource for people who have questions. . .I attended UCD for undergrad as well, so feel free to ask me anything you need to know about life here.

We've got one of the longest waits before we start orientation, so let's make the most of it! Go Ags! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Yay, a fellow ag! I did my undergrad there too and graduated in 03 as well. Looking forward to :D Fall :)

Hi everyone! I'm so excited, I just got pulled off the alternate list! Hope everyone is having a great summer because mine just became so much more fantastic! (Don't remind me that I have to now look for a place to live and a roommate). Good thing class doesn't start til Sept.

Members don't see this ad :)
qnisis said:
Hi everyone! I'm so excited, I just got pulled off the alternate list! Hope everyone is having a great summer because mine just became so much more fantastic! (Don't remind me that I have to now look for a place to live and a roommate). Good thing class doesn't start til Sept.

Hey, congratulations! You're so in luck with the whole housing thing, because right now there is more housing available in Davis than there are students to live there. :) Let me know if you need any help or advice in finding a place, or if there's anything you want to know about Davis. Also, here are some links that you might find helpful:

http://cim.ucdavis.edu/classpages/2009/ - Class of '09 message board
http://www.daviswiki.org - General resource for the city of Davis
http://chl.ucdavis.edu/index.cfm - Davis Community Housing Listing
http://www.davisenterprise.com/classifieds/?loc=detail&main=Rentals - Davis Enterprise classifieds, housing section

Again, congrats! See you in the fall! :)

Might I also add www.craigslist.org , search under the sacramento section-

Would any of you guys know when our white coat ceremony is? I couldn't find it in the calendar of events.

domukin said:
Might I also add www.craigslist.org , search under the sacramento section-

Would any of you guys know when our white coat ceremony is? I couldn't find it in the calendar of events.

I'm sure you got the e-mail from Dr. Bera, but it looks like our "induction ceremony" is going to be on Friday, September 23rd.

evade said:
I'm sure you got the e-mail from Dr. Bera, but it looks like our "induction ceremony" is going to be on Friday, September 23rd.

Yup. That worked out nicely.

So when are all of you going to be in Davis.. I'm so bored up here right now! Would love to meet some future classmates!!! Let me know.... drinks at Sophia's anyone?

PreMedAdAG said:
So when are all of you going to be in Davis.. I'm so bored up here right now! Would love to meet some future classmates!!! Let me know.... drinks at Sophia's anyone?

Hey, I've been in Davis all year! :) Well, I'm in LA this weekend, but I'd be totally down for drinks at Sophia's when I'm back.

PreMedAdAG said:

Not till early September :rolleyes: that's when the lease starts and my summer job ends. I'm totally down to meet other SDN'ers thou, *wonder's if you'll look like your avatar*

PreMedAdAG said:

Hi everyone, looking forward to meet you all. Fellow aggies, nice to know you will still be around! UC Davis-Class of 2003, hurray!

Hey PreMedAdAG, talking about being bored, if you want to do something fun, i am totally down. I am living in Davis right now. work at Genentech in Vacaville; i am usually off saturday evening through tuesday evening so if you still want to go to Great America or even go out of town, we could work it out.

Have fun, my people :D (as the Nigerians say), can't wait to see you!

so when do classes/orientation officially begin?

so it seemed everyone was high on meeting up and then things tappered off a bit? well i think it would be great for those of us that are in town or around in general to meet up and start to get to know one another.
so holler back everyone,

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

For those of you who got off the wait list, how long did it take to receive the official letter in the mail? It's been about a week since the call and nothing in the mail yet. Hmm...

Anyhow, I'm really excited about Davis! :D

condios said:
Hi all,

For those of you who got off the wait list, how long did it take to receive the official letter in the mail? It's been about a week since the call and nothing in the mail yet. Hmm...

Anyhow, I'm really excited about Davis! :D

First of all, congrats! I got my letter a bit more than a week after I got the call, nothing to worry about. I didn't expect that and I was paranoid that I had just dreamed it until I got that big envelope!

acetastic said:
so it seemed everyone was high on meeting up and then things tappered off a bit? well i think it would be great for those of us that are in town or around in general to meet up and start to get to know one another.
so holler back everyone,

Hi! I'm in town, but I've been distracted like mad for the past week or so because I've been moving (just across town. . .but still!). I'm game for a meetup just about anytime. Let me know if anything's up, or if any help is needed planning something. :)

qnisis said:
I didn't expect that and I was paranoid that I had just dreamed it until I got that big envelope!

hahaha!!! I totally know what you mean! :laugh:

Ok, call me a procrastinator, but I still need a place to live. Which neighborhood is the best? I plan on heading up there mid August to find a place (I'm in Southern Cal right now).

Depends on what you want. If I had the $ I would totally live downtown, but most people (me included) live in apt. complexes relatively close to campus, I think it's considered "west davis". Try craiglist and the class of 09 forum too.

Hello my future fellow classmates!! I got the call today from Terri!! A few of you know me from the Davis hold thread and from PM's. I am down for meeting up with you guys. I am in Davis right now, but no place to live at yet for the school year. So for anyone stilll looking for a roommate, I'm available.

And evade, I think I know who you are. I lived in Renaissance Park too and interviewed at Georgetown and BU with you ;)

I was suppose to be moving to NY in two weeks and now I get to enjoy the rest of my summer at Davis. Sweet serenity!!

Anyway, I'm excited as heck right now. Think I'm going down to the grad for a few MORE rounds.

Uegis said:
Hello my future fellow classmates!! I got the call today from Terri!! A few of you know me from the Davis hold thread and from PM's. I am down for meeting up with you guys. I am in Davis right now, but no place to live at yet for the school year. So for anyone stilll looking for a roommate, I'm available.

And evade, I think I know who you are. I lived in Renaissance Park too and interviewed at Georgetown and BU with you ;)

I was suppose to be moving to NY in two weeks and now I get to enjoy the rest of my summer at Davis. Sweet serenity!!

Anyway, I'm excited as heck right now. Think I'm going down to the grad for a few MORE rounds.

HAPPY DANCE FOR YOU!!! Congrats!!! :clap: :hardy: :clap: :hardy: :thumbup: :thumbup: :D :)

PreMedAdAG said:
HAPPY DANCE FOR YOU!!! Congrats!!! :clap: :hardy: :clap: :hardy: :thumbup: :thumbup: :D :)

Thanks! You have helped me so much during my interview and now I will get the chance to meet you and thank you in person!

It seems like there are going to be a good number of UCD alums heading to UCD SOM. To think that I will get to go to a few more Picnic Day's and grab a few more Turkey Burgers at the MU ( I love those stuff) just gets me so happy! Can't wait!

Uegis said:
Thanks! You have helped me so much during my interview and now I will get the chance to meet you and thank you in person!

It seems like there are going to be a good number of UCD alums heading to UCD SOM. To think that I will get to go to a few more Picnic Day's and grab a few more Turkey Burgers at the MU ( I love those stuff) just gets me so happy! Can't wait!

Congrats to everyone who's in! Take care of ol' Tupper Hall for me. :)

Hi Uegis!

I just sent you a congratulatory PM but just wanted to do it again here on the forum. CONGRATS!!!

I'm so excited about meeting you and the rest of the gang. After spending 5 weeks with a bunch of 2nd years in Nicaragua, I can tell you that UCD does a great job of picking interesting, very cool people. Can't wait to meet the 1st years b/c we, of course, are going to be cooler than they are.

Cheers everyone!

Congrats! I'm really happy you got in! I've already bunked with another SDN'er but I'm sure you'll find a place.

edit. Just realized my future roomy posted right before me. Glad to see you're back!

Uegis said:

Thanks for the congrats again wxl and domukin! I just found a place to live in South Davis with some old friends. They're working in Davis and one is going to grad school here. So i'm set on the living situation. Anyhow, everyone talks about meeting up, but when are we actually going to do it? It's smoking hot in Davis right now so we should meet sometime at night, haha. Movie? Drinks? Coffee?

hey, congrats again on getting in. should be a fun time in medical school. so i've been trying to set up some sort of small get together with those of us that are around right now. i was thinking in the evening hours when everyone is off work. given the terrible climate maybe jamba juice or ice cream is in order? then again nothing says sophisticated med students more than coffee and deep intellectual thought at a euro style cafe. let me know when you're available. go ahead and PM me or drop me an email at [email protected]

so if it hadn't have been for davis where do you all think you would have ended up?
best of luck to everyone in what they are doing this summer.

Uegis said:
Thanks for the congrats again wxl and domukin! I just found a place to live in South Davis with some old friends. They're working in Davis and one is going to grad school here. So i'm set on the living situation. Anyhow, everyone talks about meeting up, but when are we actually going to do it? It's smoking hot in Davis right now so we should meet sometime at night, haha. Movie? Drinks? Coffee?

Hi everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself into this thread. I got the call from Terri back on Monday the 25th! Before then I was stranded on 7 waitlists w/o any acceptances and almost ready to start a job back East. But of course I will be moving back to CA and chilling before the fun and excitement begins. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Awesome! Congrats! We'll need to celebrate all of our acceptances when we meet up. :D

hey all,
so i think i PMed everyone who posted here previously and also posted on the ucdsom board that the medical school has but i thought i'd post here in case anyone else hadn't of seen the other post or been pmed.
so quick unofficial get together. this wed.
6:30/7ish
jamba juice
heya!
I thought it might be cool to meet up with some other MS1s before school starts out and others here have expressed interest in meeting up (including yourself i believe)...
So after talking to some people about schedules and the likes, this wed 6:30/7ish outside jamba juice
address:
Jamba Juice
500 1ST St Ste 3

map:
http://sacramento.citysearch.com/map?mode=geo&id=1208119&map_lat=385418&map_lon=-1217416&fid=2

if anyone has questions (directions, etc) let me know. hope all are doing well!

so fun meeting you all last night. Looking forward to plenty of days crammed into a coffee shop studying our a$$es off. :) See you all at orientation.

til then.... spend money, drink up and party on :p ;)

Christine

Yay, questions about induction ceremony:

so... hate to be the one pulling a donkey move.. hee haw... but for business casual, we can get away with just wearing like a cute top and a skirt (for us ladies)? guys, you planning on wearing a suit or just a shirt and tie?

-C

Uegis said:

Haha, man I'm late to this thread. . .that's what I get for not checking the boards like I ought to! Uegis, I totally know who you are, and you're right about me. :-D Another congrats to you. . .it's awesome that we'll be classmates!

Anyway, just wanted to say how glad I am that I got to meet some of you yesterday evening. I'm excited about this coming year, and about meeting the rest of you. Hope your summer is going well, everyone!

- Joanna

PreMedAdAG said:
Yay, questions about induction ceremony:

so... hate to be the one pulling a donkey move.. hee haw... but for business casual, we can get away with just wearing like a cute top and a skirt (for us ladies)? guys, you planning on wearing a suit or just a shirt and tie?

-C

As I am avoiding the dreaded pharmacokinetics right now I thought I would respond to the induction ceremony question. You can just wear a skirt and top (it is Davis after all) but I think they will ask you to wear a white top and black skirt/pants. They take a class picture and want everyone to look matchy matchy since you will not be wearing a white coat. Have a fun summer, relax alot and welcome to UCDSOM!

skiingdoc said:
As I am avoiding the dreaded pharmacokinetics right now I thought I would respond to the induction ceremony question. You can just wear a skirt and top (it is Davis after all) but I think they will ask you to wear a white top and black skirt/pants. They take a class picture and want everyone to look matchy matchy since you will not be wearing a white coat. Have a fun summer, relax alot and welcome to UCDSOM!

thanks! yea terri gave us the heads up on coordinating. Thanks for your response and for the welcome!

It's getting close... anyone starting to feel the pinch?

Any of you guys doing pre-mat?

I noticed several days back that the class of 2008 has released the "dis-orientation" manual for us. I started reading through, and subsequently started freaking out. Yes, I'm feeling the pinch. ;)

I'm not doing pre-mat, though I probably should've. I thought about it, but I just didn't quite fit the selection criteria (I've only been out of school 2 years, and I believe it wanted 3), so I didn't apply.

Since it looks like there are a few second-years lurking about in this forum, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask a totally mundane question about laptop computers in here. Sorry for the repost; I put this up on the class of '09 page as well.

So, we've got this laptop requirement this year, and I can't seem to find much info on it. My old laptop is in poor shape, and isn't particularly suited to travelling to and fro from campus every day. That, and it's got the loudest fan known to man, and I can't imagine anyone in my class would care to listen to it during class! Anyway, I'm in the market for a new machine, and I would really love to get the 12" Apple iBook. However, I can't get any conclusive answers about whether or not macs have compatibility issues. I know some of the M2s and many of the profs have them, but when I spoke to some of the IT people at the undergrad campus and the med school, they said that the med center "does not support macs" and that I would have trouble connecting to Citrix. Still, I was easily able to find instructions for installing Citrix on macs on the IT website.

So what's the deal? Mac or no? Am I okay if I bring a mac to class and have a PC at home? If anyone can help me out here, I'd totally appreciate it, since back-to-school laptop specials won't last forever. ;)

Are we supposed to be checking the class website on our own or am I not getting emails reminding me to do so?

I think its best just to check it out yourself. Sometimes I get an e-mail and sometimes not. anyway.. it's cim.ucdavis.edu.. just check it once a day or every other day or something, then maybe you won't miss anything. Good luck and see you soon!