U Pitt--Anesthesia Critical Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtheater

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does UPitt have an anesthesia ICU fellowship? I know UPitt is highly regarded for their anesthesia program, but I just don't see them talking much about critical care on their website. And I didn't see a specific fellowship track.

I did notice there was a separate Critical Care Medicine Department with an anesthesia ICU fellowship. Is this run by ICU Anesthesiologists or IM docs? Would this be a good place to get ICU exposure during residency and have strong ICU/anesthesia mentors as a resident? Any thoughts much appreciated.

JT

Members don't see this ad.

Pitt's critical care department is multi-disciplinary: medicine, anesthesiology, surgery, and emergency medicine trained attendings.

You will be trained by all 4. Arguably this will make you one of the best anesthesiology critical care docs around.

The reason why you don't see Pitt's section of Critical Care under Anesthesia is because Critical Care there is so big that it is actually it's own independent Department. I believe it is the only "Department of Critical Care" in the entire country....

Please correct me if I am wrong...

Members don't see this ad :)
The reason why you don't see Pitt's section of Critical Care under Anesthesia is because Critical Care there is so big that it is actually it's own independent Department. I believe it is the only "Department of Critical Care" in the entire country....

Please correct me if I am wrong...

It was the first, back in 2000. There are a few more now, but only a few. Traditions die hard.

kg

Question about EM/CC...
I know that we (EM) can't sit for boards, but we are allowed to participate in fellowship training. What types of institutions will hire CC-trained, BC-EMP's? I have an interest in doing this, but didn't go EM/IM, so I am curious how "marketable" one would be if they did the EM then CC pathway. Thoughts???

kbrown, there are a few EM/CCM attendings at academic medical centers who post on this board. I personally know 2. I think in 5-10 years you will see subspecialty certification open up to EM/CCM folk.

Agree!

kg

Agree!

kg
KG, when will the next meeting be to determine this? Is this brought up annually at ABMS? I've heard that there's an old internist on the board of ABMS that is blocking EM's request for CCM subspecialty certification. I've also heard that there aren't enough CCM trained individuals, which I find unbelievable. If toxicology can have its own boards with not that many taking the exam every other year, then CCM can have its own exam as well (combined with IM perhaps).

KG, when will the next meeting be to determine this? Is this brought up annually at ABMS? I've heard that there's an old internist on the board of ABMS that is blocking EM's request for CCM subspecialty certification. I've also heard that there aren't enough CCM trained individuals, which I find unbelievable. If toxicology can have its own boards with not that many taking the exam every other year, then CCM can have its own exam as well (combined with IM perhaps).

Talks are ongoing, behind the scenes, with prominent figures of ABMS (Surg/Anes/IM). ABEM is frustrated and is basically taking the stance, "now that the IOM report is out, our ED white paper is out, the Critical Care Crisis report is out, what more do you want!?"

ABMS is bigger than one internist. If we had a majority, it would go through like Go-lytely.

We really are making some in-roads behind the scenes. We are also starting to see old foes become allies. So I believe change is coming!

We are in the process of conducting a survey of EM/CCM folks, just to really see how many are out there, and, to start a registry. Julie Mayglothling (Bellevue EM/Shock Trauma CC) is heading this project up. We'll have it online in a month or two.

Look for my post in the future about this survey. It will be very important!

kg

Talks are ongoing, behind the scenes, with prominent figures of ABMS (Surg/Anes/IM). ABEM is frustrated and is basically taking the stance, "now that the IOM report is out, our ED white paper is out, the Critical Care Crisis report is out, what more do you want!?"

ABMS is bigger than one internist. If we had a majority, it would go through like Go-lytely.

We really are making some in-roads behind the scenes. We are also starting to see old foes become allies. So I believe change is coming!

We are in the process of conducting a survey of EM/CCM folks, just to really see how many are out there, and, to start a registry. Julie Mayglothling (Bellevue EM/Shock Trauma CC) is heading this project up. We'll have it online in a month or two.

Look for my post in the future about this survey. It will be very important!

kg
Yea, I've seen the emails through the ACEP CCM Interest Group.

Hello,
as you can see from my other posts I'm interested in CCM, in particular Shock Trauma CCM. Are there some good sites etc that you could reccomend to read up on re: applying, differences in training modalities, and EM resdency (as that is where i'm at).

I've been reading and it seems that there is a lot of opportunities, but that changes frequently (?).

I just really enjoy my rotations and am strongly considering it, but having a hard time finding information.

Thanks!

So I'm brand new to SDN. I'm a fourth year who's frantically debating between EM and IM, with the goal of doing CC (multidisciplinary, not pulmonary). I've been getting conflicting advice about whether I'd be marketable as an EM/CC doc, and I was also told that if I do EM/CC I'll just end up working in the ICU and never use my EM anyway. What do you guys think?

So I'm brand new to SDN. I'm a fourth year who's frantically debating between EM and IM, with the goal of doing CC (multidisciplinary, not pulmonary). I've been getting conflicting advice about whether I'd be marketable as an EM/CC doc, and I was also told that if I do EM/CC I'll just end up working in the ICU and never use my EM anyway. What do you guys think?
One of our attendings works in the ED 9 shifts/month and attends in the SICU 1 week/month.

One way around this is for a US EM physician to sit for the European Critical Care Boards and then transfer it over to the US.

There is a non accredited fellowship out of St Lukes in Bethlehem, PA and it states that, "Graduates of the fellowship will be eligible to apply to the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine to sit for the certification examination leading to the European Diploma in Intensive Care."

http://www.slhn-lehighvalley.org/body.cfm?id=924