U of Waterloo 2011 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
have any of you received the letter in your mail yet? i still haven't received it yet.. but it could be because i'm in the west coast..

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I received it on Monday. They send it through Xpresspost so you may receive it soon this week.

I received it Monday. It was more flattering than informative though.:p

Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone else get a call from the dean? and i thought the letter was flattering... :D:D:D

I got a message from Ken Potvin. He asked if I had any questions and gave me his number.

i was wondering, r ppl allowed to accept but change their minds after? like i mean what r we obligated into when we accept the offer? i'm asking cuz i noe that for those who applied to ubc, they don't noe the results until early july.

lol not impress with waterloo pharmacy at all.. all i got was a yellow waterloo pen from the interview day and two pieces of paper for my acceptance tsk tsk:):). Anywayss does anyone know what courses we have to take first semester?I know they posted the spring term..but that's second semester

lol not impress with waterloo pharmacy at all.. all i got was a yellow waterloo pen from the interview day and two pieces of paper for my acceptance tsk tsk:):). Anywayss does anyone know what courses we have to take first semester?I know they posted the spring term..but that's second semester

What were you expecting then? Free stuff and how nice the acceptance package looks shouldn't have any influence on your decision... and they're obviously not representative of the school and program itself!

For undergrad they give you really nice packages.

I think you get more in the mail once you accept.

Hello everyone, i got accepted to university of waterloo as well. Now I was wondering if anyone else is thinking twice about going into pharmacy? I mean with the cut in generic prices and all, are our future careers in pharmacy really a wise one? They say that all the independently owned pharmacies are going to close down, so forget about owning ur own pharmacy, and that the salary of pharmacist are going to decrease, and if we graduate in 5 years, will the jobs be fully saturated by then? Or will it still be in demand? I'm sorry if I scared anyone but I need to make a final decision before the 28th....What do you guys think?

Hello everyone, i got accepted to university of waterloo as well. Now I was wondering if anyone else is thinking twice about going into pharmacy? I mean with the cut in generic prices and all, are our future careers in pharmacy really a wise one? They say that all the independently owned pharmacies are going to close down, so forget about owning ur own pharmacy, and that the salary of pharmacist are going to decrease, and if we graduate in 5 years, will the jobs be fully saturated by then? Or will it still be in demand? I'm sorry if I scared anyone but I need to make a final decision before the 28th....What do you guys think?

It's hard to predict the future of pharmacy in 5 years from now!
Imagine that people who are in their fourth year of pharmacy, never knew 4 years ago (when they were going to accept offers) that in a few years something like this would happen... the point is that anything is possible, it could get better/worse/or stay the same! It all depends.

Check out the UofT forum, there was a LOT of talk about this topic there!

Good Luck :)

Thank you for your opinion. I will check out your forum, if anyone else has an opinion, feel free to share

Members don't see this ad :)
What were you expecting then? Free stuff and how nice the acceptance package looks shouldn't have any influence on your decision... and they're obviously not representative of the school and program itself!

Yeah i know...i was only joking:D. But i'm still curious as to what courses we need to take in the winter..any thoughts?

Yeah i know...i was only joking:D. But i'm still curious as to what courses we need to take in the winter..any thoughts?

i haven't looked into it yet, but are there certain non-pharm electives that we have to take once we are in pharm? maybe we can take those. but i have a feeling all the non-pharm electives would have been taken care of the past 2 years..?

I just copied and pasted this off the Waterloo Undergrad Calendar.

Year One

Winter

PHARM 110 Systems Approach to the Study of the Human Body 1
CHEM 333 Metabolism
PHARM 120A Introduction to the Profession of Pharmacy
PHARM 124 Pharmaceutics 1
PHARM 126 Pharmaceutical Calculations
PHARM 127 Professional Communication Skills in Pharmacy Practice 1
PHARM 129 Professional Practice 1
PHARM 150 Introduction to Applied Pharmaceutical Sciences

Spring
PHARM 111 Systems Approach to the Study of the Human Body 2
PHARM 120B Introduction to the Profession of Pharmacy
PHARM 125 Pharmaceutics 2
PHARM 128 Professional Communication Skills in Pharmacy Practice 2
PHARM 130 Professional Practice 2
PHARM 131 Professional Practice Laboratory 1
PHARM 140 Computing for Pharmacists – Fundamental Concepts
PHARM 141 Introduction to Medicinal Chemistry, Toxicology and Pharmacology

I just copied and pasted this off the Waterloo Undergrad Calendar.

Year One

Winter

PHARM 110 Systems Approach to the Study of the Human Body 1
CHEM 333 Metabolism
PHARM 120A Introduction to the Profession of Pharmacy
PHARM 124 Pharmaceutics 1
PHARM 126 Pharmaceutical Calculations
PHARM 127 Professional Communication Skills in Pharmacy Practice 1
PHARM 129 Professional Practice 1
PHARM 150 Introduction to Applied Pharmaceutical Sciences

Spring
PHARM 111 Systems Approach to the Study of the Human Body 2
PHARM 120B Introduction to the Profession of Pharmacy
PHARM 125 Pharmaceutics 2
PHARM 128 Professional Communication Skills in Pharmacy Practice 2
PHARM 130 Professional Practice 2
PHARM 131 Professional Practice Laboratory 1
PHARM 140 Computing for Pharmacists – Fundamental Concepts
PHARM 141 Introduction to Medicinal Chemistry, Toxicology and Pharmacology

Who else is excited to be taking EIGHT classes next year?? Somehow, I am! We will see how I feel next winter!

i was wondering, r ppl allowed to accept but change their minds after? like i mean what r we obligated into when we accept the offer? i'm asking cuz i noe that for those who applied to ubc, they don't noe the results until early july.

no you do not have to accept it, if you accept it already you can change your mind now, i am sure that many students prefer u of t or ubc to waterloo, which is not even a fully accredited school yet.

I would say if you do have another choice (for instance if you think that you can get admission from medical school, or dentistry) then that is a definitely safer and wiser choice than pharmacy.

Who else is excited to be taking EIGHT classes next year?? Somehow, I am! We will see how I feel next winter!

well if you also got admission from u of t then go for that, because having taking all the prerequisites for waterloo, you will get a lot of exemptions from u of t and will have a much lighter course load!! plus u of t is better

well if you also got admission from u of t then go for that, because having taking all the prerequisites for waterloo, you will get a lot of exemptions from u of t and will have a much lighter course load!! plus u of t is better

Stop trolling....!

no you do not have to accept it, if you accept it already you can change your mind now, i am sure that many students prefer u of t or ubc to waterloo, which is not even a fully accredited school yet.

Bull. The only reason why I prefer U of T to Waterloo is because I'm living with a relative and it's in a big city.

Otherwise, Waterloo all the way. :)

I was admitted to both U of T and Waterloo.

I chose U of T for financial reasons (living with a relative) and because it's a big city (I went to Guelph for undergrad, I want change).

Waterloo was appealing for me because: I've finished all the prerequisites, there's coop, it's more community based, you can take business classes... Also, I did a lot of work trying to apply to Waterloo. It is much harder to get into than U of T.

U of T is kinda crappy because I have too many course exemptions. But I want to use that time to get involved in the community more than I did for undergrad...

so you got to both U of T, and waterloo and decided to go to U of T? congradulation!!! yes, i do agree that another reason that people prefer U of T is because it is located in down town toronto, a very very hot hot place, compared to waterloo. I love down town toronto.

but just for the record I appreciate if people who got admission from both u of t and waterloo, start stating on this forum that which school they prefer.

I did get accepted to both U of T and Waterloo. While I love downtown Toronto, I prefer Waterloo's program because I'd rather not start professional school as a part-time student. Maybe if it were direct entry pharmD (ie next year) I would feel differently. Also U of T is so impersonal as a school. Its just too big for my liking.

I did get accepted to both U of T and Waterloo. While I love downtown Toronto, I prefer Waterloo's program because I'd rather not start professional school as a part-time student. Maybe if it were direct entry pharmD (ie next year) I would feel differently. Also U of T is so impersonal as a school. Its just too big for my liking.

I felt the same way. Ultimately, I think that I could use the free time to get a work study job or volunteer with something. You're graduating in 4 years either way. Plus I think that we will switch over to a PharmD half way.

Hi, well you have to realize that if you choose u of t, then you will have a chance of getting your practicums at mount sinai, university health network, sick kids, st. micheal's hospital, but as a waterloo students you will have a lower chance of getting to those places. I actually talked to one of the waterloo students on the day of my interview, and she said down town toronto is the hardest place to get a co-op placement (they go mostly to u of t students for their practicum, u of t is affiliated with all those hospitals) thus u of t students have a higher chance of building connections for their future jobs. plus enjoy your free time,... anyways it is all up to you.

Hi, well you have to realize that if you choose u of t, then you will have a chance of getting your practicums at mount sinai, university health network, sick kids, st. micheal's hospital, but as a waterloo students you will have a lower chance of getting to those places. I actually talked to one of the waterloo students on the day of my interview, and she said down town toronto is the hardest place to get a co-op placement (they go mostly to u of t students for their practicum, u of t is affiliated with all those hospitals) thus u of t students have a higher chance of building connections for their future jobs. plus enjoy your free time,... anyways it is all up to you.

You have just convinced me to accept Waterloo! Thanks!

Thanks for your advice :thumbup:. I really don't understand why you're on this forum dissing Waterloo, maybe you should just stick to the U of T forum. I went to U of T, I know its a great school. But I have my reasons for preferring Waterloo, just as you do yours for Toronto.

how can i delete my messages without posting anything on its place? i am confused!! ok i will just put ".." cause i cannot fully delete everything

Last edited:
Pcat, Waterloo is for all intents and purposes accredited. They just need to graduate one class.

I get it.

YOU are on the Waterloo waitlist and are trying to convince people to go to U of T to free up a spot.

I get it.

YOU are on the Waterloo waitlist and are trying to convince people to go to U of T to free up a spot.

i deleted everything that i wrote to make u happy. but just like you said it yourself (you said you prefer u of t because you will be with relatives and save money) i was tying to tell others about my cousin's experience he went to waterloo, bought a house, and could not sell it afterward, so it is extra headache as he is in japan now, so i just thought it is good for others who did not have the same experience (are just about to start going to waterloo) just hear about his experience it may help them make a more educated decision, but that is for those who are currently undecided, if someone wants to go to waterloo for sure, then fine go, i do not want to intefer with anybody's decisions, if someone is comfortable looking for a new place to rent in waterloo every four months (moving back and forth between co-ops and going back to waterloo then good for you)...waterloo does not have waitlist

Last edited:

I get it.

you are so mean dude...even though it was obvious:laugh::laugh:

anyways UofT #1 UofT #1 UofT #1:thumbup:

and UW plz open admission again in sept :xf:

Have you guys started to think about housing yet?

How many spots will be open at U o Waterloo in september for the jan 2011 spots?

Can anyone speculate?

Do you guys think the low number 2014 students in the new facebook group maybe imply open slots being available in the class? (a lot of them seem to be 2013).

No, I think that most people in class of 2014 don't know about the group yet...

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to apply for waterloo next year and have a question.

Does anyone know if a Withdrawal-standing on the transcript would look bad and jeopardize my chances?

THanks!

Does anyone know if a Withdrawal-standing on the transcript would look bad and jeopardize my chances?

THanks!

If there is just one, probably not. As long as the rest of your marks are decent there shouldn't be a problem. I had one on my transcript and no one even asked me about it. Then again, this class wasn't a pre-requisite, but even in that case if you have taken the class again and done well it won't matter.

THanks!
I also had a withdrawal on my transcript and got in..but it wasnt a prerequisite course.

Any word on the Loo filling up all the spots? Last year they re-opened applications in Sept for January start. I am hoping it might be the case this year. Congrats to all you who got in!

Any word on the Loo filling up all the spots? Last year they re-opened applications in Sept for January start. I am hoping it might be the case this year. Congrats to all you who got in!

i think they have opened up seats every year that the school has been open so i am guessing they will accept applications in the fall term for january 2011.

Congratulations to everyone! I hope you guys make the best out of these upcoming four years! Enjoy them - you're one step away from fulfilling you're dreams!
I would like to ask a favor from those who have been accepted - can you please go to the 2012 thread and post your stats/interview experience so that we have a better idea of what to expect! Thank you!!