U of Illinois: Clinical year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pibble

Reaction score
As a student coming from Ross, word around the campfire is that the University of Illinois makes you retake their version of the OSCE and the "ROSSIE" which is a practical exam demonstrating surgical skills that we must do in our 6th semester before moving to doing actual surgeries here in 7th. I don't have a problem with having to demonstrate these skills, because obviously I should be competent enough to do them appropriately, I just want to be prepared. I also want to know if they only assess the "island students" ability to perform, and if this is the case, I would feel a little singled out and I don't think that would be a great way to start out and would prefer to choose a different school. Please don't be rude in your responses. The faculty here don't give us a whole lot of information about the clinical schools and we end up doing a lot of our own research as well as ask others to see what their experiences are.

Members don't see this ad.

We definitely do have a required OSCE both at the end of second and end of 3rd year right before clinics! Definitely not singling the island students out. It’s also very common to have to retake a station at a later date and most illinois students have to repeat a couple each and usually for stupid and silly reasons that they’re just picky about, so don’t feel bad if you do. Our clinical skills lab is open 24/7 for you to practice things except during osce week they close it so they can leave everything set up.

I assume they just want to make sure everyone is competent to the same standards they hold their own students to and that’s why you have to do it too since they weren’t the ones evaluating your skills previously. I assume your ROSSIE is probably similar to our 2nd year OSCE that we do prior to junior surgery (fall of 3rd year).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for reassuring me! I actually have my OSCE coming up in a couple weeks for 6th semester, so hopefully that'll be a good indicator of my performance should I end up at Illinois!! Do you guys do a client communication portion as well?

Thanks for the feedback, it was really helpful :)

There is a client communication portion

Reactions: 1 users
*rolls in 4 days later*
Looks like bats and Ski handled this but feel free to ask any follow up questions, we're all here pretty frequently.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users