U of FL Residency Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PODonny

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the CASPR site and saw that the rotations at the University of Florida Podiatric Residency are very focused on orthopedics and even a good block of sports medicine. This is my primary area of interest. I was hoping that someone could give some more insight as to what this program is all about. Is there a good relationship with the ortho program? What is the faculty like? Is sports med a program emphasis with the orthopedics? Many thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I was looking at the CASPR site and saw that the rotations at the University of Florida Podiatric Residency are very focused on orthopedics and even a good block of sports medicine. This is my primary area of interest. I was hoping that someone could give some more insight as to what this program is all about. Is there a good relationship with the ortho program? What is the faculty like? Is sports med a program emphasis with the orthopedics? Many thanks in advance.

please do a search on the forums for this program. It has been discussed a little bit. If you still have questions let me know and I will PM you my thoughts and jonwill maybe willing to share his as well. We both did exterships there.

2 things that I did not post already about the program.

They do not participate in CRIPs. You must fly there for an interview in January.

And, podiatry relies on ortho for almost all of the educational meetings. When I was there the foot and ankle orthopod had quit so all those cases were non-existant. Ortho has high expectations for their residents but not the podiatry residents.

It was not my favorite program.

...It was not my favorite program.
Yes, it seems to have mixed reviews.^ I don't really do a whole lot of research on the residencies down here, but I think Shands is still generally considered one of the top Fla programs along with Fla East Orlando and JFK?

I think over half my class is probably going to apply for that Jax externship, and even more might try to visit Orlando...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it seems to have mixed reviews.^ I don't really do a whole lot of research on the residencies down here, but I think Shands is still generally considered one of the top Fla programs along with Fla East Orlando and JFK?

I think over half my class is probably going to apply for that Jax externship, and even more might try to visit Orlando...

East Orlando is awesome. great attendings and great program. no research though.

U of F has way too much clinic!!!!!!!!!! And I came from a busy clinic at school, and that was too much for me.

East Orlando is awesome. great attendings and great program. no research though.

U of F has way too much clinic!!!!!!!!!! And I came from a busy clinic at school, and that was too much for me.

So you'd say that the major down side is too much clinic and not enough surgery. Is that just in the externship experience or do the residents not get much OR time as well? I think you mentioned in another forum that the ortho residents get all the trauma...does that have anything to do with too much clinic for the pods?

So you'd say that the major down side is too much clinic and not enough surgery. Is that just in the externship experience or do the residents not get much OR time as well? I think you mentioned in another forum that the ortho residents get all the trauma...does that have anything to do with too much clinic for the pods?

Ortho and pods have tons of clinic. The orthos have like 20 residents so there are more of them to spread all the clinic hours for ortho and there is a knee guy, 2-4 trauma guys, a hand guy and some other orthos. The ortho residents definitely stay busy. They also have to present all the cases that they saw the night before in the ED if they were on call at morning reports in the AM and be prepared to classify the injury and discuss what ER treatment was performed and why and what the literature says about it, then discuss what they would do long term for the patient and what the literature says about that. They also give presentations very often on different ortho topics.

Now for podiatry. I was only there for one month so this is only my account of one month. The bad: The externs are used to cut nails at the VA clinic next door to U of F. I did not agree with the "podiatric medicine" that was performed at the VA. I was not given a tour or introduction to the hospital or how things worked with clinic and surgeries, like how the schedule worked, when I was expected to be in clinic or when in surgery? I was the only extern so I should have been allowed to go to all the surgeries. There were times that I was forced to stay in clinic when there were surgeries going on in the OR. The foot and ankle ortho quit as I mentioned before. THere are 3 major attendings for podiatry. 2 only do bunions and hammetoes and the other will do everything foot and ankle. Podiatry does lectures once a week at lunch and the orthos do not come, but pods go to all things ortho. During my month the attending discussed bunions (nothing exotic) and the 3rd year resident discussed hammertoes. Both lectures were pod school quality almost straight out of McGlamry. Just my opinion.

The good: Great medicine rotation, great hospital, great call room - free coffee, flat panel TV, leather easy chairs, work out equipment - good meal plan, not too far from the beach, Neptune Beach is really cute straight east. The ortho trauma rotation is great, but no foot and ankle guy.

I ended up spending the last 2 weeks solely with ortho trauma and had a great 2 weeks and learned tons. I do not recomend this path. It pissed the pod attendings off royally.

So that in a nut shell ( a really big nut shell) is my oppinion of the program. The residents that are there will be trained fine and for the right person the program is fine, but it was not for me.

It is one of those programs that you get out of it what you put into it. Most programs are like this but some have higher expectations and more oversight. I needed more direction and more of a sure thing.

If I was looking for an ortho program I would have definitely applied there.

Great explanation. That covers everything I wanted to know. Thank you so much.

I actually went and visited the UF program and they are now in the middle of transitioning because they changed directors. I believe they will become more surgical from what I was told.

I just found out - as did everyone else - that there is a new director. If you are interested in this program you'll have to go check it out for yourself since it may have gone thru some changes.

I spoke with one of my buddies who is actually a resident at U of F. He says that they have made some pretty positive changes at the program. It is still a fairly new program (3 years old) but it's getting there.