U Mich v. Weill Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mem2281

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
SDN Friends - would appreciate any insights you have! The financial aid I received at both schools makes the cost of attendance comparable.

U Mich
Pros:
- was my dream school when I was applying - love AA, love(d) the curriculum, loved the students and faculty, loved the community feeling
- interested in very niche clinical/research areas - already have connections here, programs/electives exist to explore these interests
- cost of living manageable
- some friends there in undergrad and other graduate programs
- top ten ranking

Cons:
- the curriculum is changing (again) - abbreviating pre-clinical period from 1.5 years to 1 year, shortening summer break, etc. Will be a guinea pig - a little scary
- worried AA will start to feel too small. was very comfortable here during undergrad, but fearful I'll feel isolated by the "college town" vibes in the coming years
- NO family in the area
- only 3 of this year's graduates placed into residencies in Manhattan - likely where I want to work eventually. Not sure if because selection bias (want to stay at UM or in the midwest) or having trouble out-competing graduates from the NY titans

Weill Cornell
Pros:
-
I am a NYer - all of my family and close friends live in the immediate area (I'm not sure how important this is to me, but perhaps I'm not anticipating my own needs for social/familial support)
- great location, great clinical affiliations, guaranteed housing, no travel/moving costs
- no connections at Weill yet, but certainly ample opportunities to pursue my research/clinical interests in NYC (will just have to forge networks)
- might want to return to/work in Manhattan (though this could change) - if so, would be helpful to train here. 43/~100 of this years grads matched at presby....

Cons:
-
I have NOT had positive experiences with the students and faculty I have met - neither at my interview day nor during arranged meet-ups/introductions - these folks aren't necessarily representative of the entire Weill community, but am starting to think I don't mesh with the culture of the school
- living in NYC can feel lonely/isolating - I have done it before and did not have a positive experience (likely different as a graduate student, though)
- I think I will regret not going to Michigan. Cornell seems like the safe choice for me, but my heart is with Michigan and it has been since I applied!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
SDN Friends - would appreciate any insights you have! The financial aid I received at both schools makes the cost of attendance comparable.

U Mich
Pros:
- was my dream school when I was applying - love AA, love(d) the curriculum, loved the students and faculty, loved the community feeling
- interested in very niche clinical/research areas - already have connections here, programs/electives exist to explore these interests
- cost of living manageable
- some friends there in undergrad and other graduate programs
- top ten ranking

Cons:
- the curriculum is changing (again) - abbreviating pre-clinical period from 1.5 years to 1 year, shortening summer break, etc. Will be a guinea pig - a little scary
- worried AA will start to feel too small. was very comfortable here during undergrad, but fearful I'll feel isolated by the "college town" vibes in the coming years
- NO family in the area
- only 3 of this year's graduates placed into residencies in Manhattan - likely where I want to work eventually. Not sure if because selection bias (want to stay at UM or in the midwest) or having trouble out-competing graduates from the NY titans

Weill Cornell
Pros:
-
I am a NYer - all of my family and close friends live in the immediate area (I'm not sure how important this is to me, but perhaps I'm not anticipating my own needs for social/familial support)
- great location, great clinical affiliations, guaranteed housing, no travel/moving costs
- no connections at Weill yet, but certainly ample opportunities to pursue my research/clinical interests in NYC (will just have to forge networks)
- might want to return to/work in Manhattan (though this could change) - if so, would be helpful to train here. 43/~100 of this years grads matched at presby....

Cons:
-
I have NOT had positive experiences with the students and faculty I have met - neither at my interview day nor during arranged meet-ups/introductions - these folks aren't necessarily representative of the entire Weill community, but am starting to think I don't mesh with the culture of the school
- living in NYC can feel lonely/isolating - I have done it before and did not have a positive experience (likely different as a graduate student, though)
- I think I will regret not going to Michigan. Cornell seems like the safe choice for me, but my heart is with Michigan and it has been since I applied!

"- was my dream school when I was applying - love AA, love(d) the curriculum, loved the students and faculty, loved the community feeling "

That's your answer. Go Mich.

Reactions: 1 user
All of your family and friends are in NY, yet you'll feel lonely? I vote Mich but most people say to not underestimate having a support group in med school.

Cons:
-

These are some of the strongest cons I've seen in any X vs Y thread. The quality of your med school experience will be driven by emotional/subjective concerns moreso than by objective outcomes. If finances are not an issue, then definitely pick Michigan. (No disclaimer because I have no competing interests at either of these schools)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)