Two Questions About My List of Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bretzel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Check out my mdapps page to know my stats, etc...

1.) If I wanted to drop one of the following four in order to apply to something like MCW...which would it be...
a. Loyola
b. Rush
c. Rosalind Franklin (leaning towards dropping this one off of the list...but no good reason other than location)
d. University of Illinois

2.) Any overall impressions of my list of schools? I started very reach heavy...since then i've added Tufts and AECOM and will soon add MCW probably.....I feel it's more balanced now, but would like more input.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Probably not what you want to hear, but you should NOT be dropping any of those schools in that short list, but you could easily prune some from your larger list. Add MCW without dropping any of the "local" schools.

Your list is extremely top heavy with ultra competitive schools in terms of admissions. If shortening the list is a priority, look at dropping something from the Top 20 USNWR group, and strongly consider adding some more schools from further down the rankings or schools that are not ranked at all.

I agree with the above post. Your overall MCAT score is excellent, but the 8 in VR rally hurts since each section is viewed separately.

It's going to be tough for you to get into the high end schools on your list with a VR of 8. If you're going to adjust your list (and keep the same total number of schools), the previous poster is correct that you should drop some of the elite schools and add some mid-to-low tier ones.

It's going to be tough for the following schools: Columbia, Hopkins, Harvard, Penn, Duke, Weill, Feinberg, Pritzker, Stanford, WUSTL, Emory, Mayo and Yale. You'll definitely get several invites from this list, but getting in is very competitive.

Apply to every single Allopathic Medical School in the state of IL (except SIU, perhaps) and add MCW as well. Tufts and Einstein are no cake walk, but you should get in. Other private schools to look at: Jefferson, Drexel, GW, Georgetown and NYMC.

Ever consider retaking the MCAT? Just to get in somewhere, you're fine. If you really want an elite school (and there are benefits to going to them), raising your VR score will help a lot. One point could be significant and bringing it up to ten would be huge.

If you don't want to retake the test (which is understandable), keep in mind that you may not get into one of the elite schools. Just to be safe, apply to all IL schools and MCW.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't even think of retaking with a 35.

I do concur with the others in that applying more broadly is probably the best idea. Getting rid of one of those schools is probably not the brightest thing to do, and if money on the app process is a concern i'd tone down on my reaches before i started getting rid of state schools.

Agreed all around. That list is reach-heavy for someone with a 4.0/40. Cut out a few of the top 10's before you start eliminating your bread-and-butter schools like the ones you have listed. In fact, I'd be adding more "mid-tier" schools, if anything.

I suppose I am at a bit of a loss as to which schools are middle-tier....I am looking for schools in urban areas that preferably have other medical schools nearby since I am trying to keep in mind I will be having my girlfriend applying next year and it would be nice if she were nearby......any mid-tier urban schools that meet those classifications (and aren't already on my list)?

I suppose I am at a bit of a loss as to which schools are middle-tier....I am looking for schools in urban areas that preferably have other medical schools nearby since I am trying to keep in mind I will be having my girlfriend applying next year and it would be nice if she were nearby......any mid-tier urban schools that meet those classifications (and aren't already on my list)?

There are a bunch of med schools in Philadelphia: Penn is a top rated school, but there are others that would meet your needs: Temple, Jefferson, Drexel...

Regarding the comments, I will try and look the other way as I go broke since it is really hard to drop schools from this list without ever visiting or anything....bad excuse for not researching them all more, but i will press my luck for top-tier i suppose.....bye bye wallet

I will add more mid-tier though

Regarding the comments, I will try and look the other way as I go broke since it is really hard to drop schools from this list without ever visiting or anything....bad excuse for not researching them all more, but i will press my luck for top-tier i suppose.....bye bye wallet

Just think of it like an investment. Yes, it is expensive now, but it'll be worth it in the end if the only school you're accepted at is one you add last minute.

My point, echoed by others, is that you should not drop off lower tier schools like RFU for MCW, but rather if you are looking to prune your list, knock some of the nose bleed schools off, or better yet, add more lower tier.

I think your list is OK, and could use a couple more low tier schools. I don't see any problem with aiming high so long as your list has some realistic schools on it, too.

That 8 in VR will really hurt you especially among the top schools you're applying to like Columbia, Cornell, Duke, Stanford, UPenn, Chicago, WashU, and Yale. I think you might need to add less research intensive schools with median VR scores of 10. I agree with everyone else that you should keep all the IL schools and add a few others that are friendly to OOS students and aren't as competitive. Your list is mostly reaches.

Well, since you're already apply to Tufts, why not Boston University? Its stats are marginally lower and its in the same city. Then there are three schools in Philadelphia you would have a shot at (Drexel, Jefferson, Temple) and in addition to the there thats a bit of a reach (U of Pennsylvania).

If you're looking at schools to trim, the first ones on that list I'd drop ( even by your criteria) would be WashU, Yale, and Harvard.

I second what others said about applying as broadly as possible. It looks like i'm going to a school that I added to my list at the last minute. Applying to med school is a crapshot and that 8 in vr might get you screened out at a bunch of schools. However I think the VR is your only red flag (well unless your LoR's and PS end up not being good) and you'll get in somewhere.

I am a firm believer that the 8 will not get me screened out of anywhere. The reason that most top medical schools do not have many 8's in verbal is because an 8 in verbal is rarely coupled with a 33+ overall. I think having a 35 with an 8 in verbal will demonstrate my strength in the sciences more than anything else.

I am confident that my personal statement will remove any doubts regarding my ability to use the English language.

The likelihood of you getting into at least one school is very high. You've covered your bases well, in the sense that you've applied to a set of schools that gives you a very good chance of at least one acceptance.

From my view, once you've covered your bases, you should focus the rest of your applications on the highest caliber of schools possible (in accordance with your stats and other features of your application).

In your case, it really depends what you want your focus to be. Let's assume you get into at least one IL school. If your next priority is location, then you should focus on the geographic areas you want and apply to schools in those locations. If prestige/research opportunities, etc are the focus, then you can apply to the elite schools and basically stick with the list you have.

My experience is that Medical School is difficult on relationships. Distance is an added drag and many relationships (both close proximity and LDRs) collapse along the way. It's not our place to tell you not to give priority to being close to our GF, but keep in mind that proximity could turn out to be a bad thing if things don't work out.

I am confident that my personal statement will remove any doubts regarding my ability to use the English language.

You have to realize that the VR isn't there so medical schools can figure out if you can read and write. Unlike the other sections, you don't go into VR knowing any of the material beforehand, so it's a good indicator of how well you can process completely new information under time constraints. Reading a personal statement with correct grammar doesn't make up for that because you have months to work on it and other people can proof read.

I am not saying that my personal statement will erase the 8 as a factor of consideration. It is obviously an issue they will look into. I do not think it is going to "screen" me out without a full consideration of my application, however.