tufs vs. colorado vs. midwestern (AZ)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruuuuu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone~

I'm having a really hard time deciding which school to attend, would you guys please give some advise, in terms of school reputation, location, patient pool etc?

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone~

I'm having a really hard time deciding which school to attend, would you guys please give some advise, in terms of school reputation, location, patient pool etc?

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

What's the side-by-side cost of tuition plus estimated living expenses? I'd start there. Any family sort of obligations/preferences? Or are you willing to move and live wherever?

Courtesy of the awesome "Bereno".
See attached.
This is strictly my hypothetical schedule if I wanted to pay only approx. $5,000 per month which was my threshold. It would take me 3-years to pay off my in-state school at this rate and 5-years for my out-of-state school. This considers only tuition, fees, and instrument costs.

In-state
1st year: $37,084
2nd year: $36,659
3rd year: $36,475
4th year: $36,659
Payback duration = 3 years
$5,346 per month
Total paid = $192,465

Out-of-state
1st year: $67,376
2nd year: $52,323
3rd year: $53,804
4th year: $53,042
Payback duration = 5 years
$5,396 per month
Total paid = $271,766.64

This is an incredibly difficult decision to base off of intangible objects, such as reputation and personal well-being, and tangible objects, such as cost-of-attendance. Money is a great form of measurement but it is difficult to convert things like reputation and well-being into dollar value. The conversion rate from intangible values to dollar value differs with different people. How much money and time are you willing to spend on a particular school?

Attachments

• Copy of Financial Projections v2.2_3.22.2013_in-state.zip
    489.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Copy of Financial Projections v2.2_out-of-state.zip
    498.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Colorado is a great school in terms of clinics and research and has a great reputation (you have noticed that during your interview)
Denver and is adorable!

Tufts is a good school but its tuition is too EXPENSIVE (one of the most expensive schools in the nation)... besides the living in Boston is too costly (if you wanna share an apartment with a roommate then each one of you would pay ~1600$ for the rent and it is like 20 minutes away from the school) so that's why they give 400 acceptances for ~180 students to accept the offer because most of the students turn the offer down because of the total cost which exceed 100 grand a year (my DS3 friend is taking private loan besides the full school loan to afford his living in Boston)

I know some people attending MW-AZ and they recommend it with its awesome facilities and friendly faculty and staff (except the hot weather in Arizona lol)

Conclusion: If I wan in your shoes it would be a tie between Colorado and MW-AZ and I think I would go to Colorado... Tufts is a good school but money is an issue especially when I am starting my professional life (I don't wanna have extra money as loans when I can save it somewhere else)

Good luck in your choice and congratulations Mr. Future Dentist :)

Last edited:
Take what you hear on this forum with a grain of salt. Some people are still on the wait-list and might try to deter you from certain schools in hopes of getting off the wait-list themselves.

Having said that, the cost difference between Tufts and MWU-AZ is almost negligible so I'm not sure what the argument is about Tufts being too expensive and MWU-AZ being a much better alternative. Reputation-wise, I would say Tufts has a better reputation, however, I've heard great things about both Tufts and MWU-AZ. Obviously, Colorado is by far the cheapest option, however, I've heard there are some serious problems with the program there (based on what I've read on SDN).

Tough decision. If it's between Tufts and MWU-AZ, go to Tufts (great facilities, great staff, great patient pool, and great location). If you want to go to the cheapest school regardless of reputation, go to Colorado.