TUCOM-CA Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the advice! I made reservations for the Marriott Courtyard :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello people, I am new to the forum so I dont know if there is a specific place for me to ask this question: I have been accepted and plan on attending TUCOM-CA in the fall; I was wondering if anyone else on here is planning on going to vallejo??

Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions.

1. how were the facilities? i have heard from others that they are a bit lacking, but does it seem like a good learning environment?

2. Do you know the comlex step 1 pass rates?

3. do they podcast or otherwise record the lectures and is attendance mandatory?

4. Do you know how the rotation match works?

Thanks,

Richard

I had an interview on 2/2 and toured with an enthusiastic student. I was accepted and have handed over my deposit, so this is all very biased info.
The facilities seemed pretty good, especially the anatomy lab, which was large and well ventilated. The OMM lab also seemed nice and big. The classroom we peeked into was big and high-tech with lots of students who seemed interested. The library is smallish, but typical for a DO school I believe. It was a beautiful sunny day when I was there, and the campus looked great. I live in Berkeley, so I have been back there since and have seen the it get spooky on a dark rainy night. It was like a haunted naval shipyard with an abandoned seafood restaurant that is actually the student union. I'm sure you were in Farragut Inn for your interview day. But I digress, it did seem like a good learning environment.

The COMLEX pass rates didn't seem to be great, as the Dean told us that the new curriculum had put the students several years ahead of the test, and that is why the scores weren't as good as they could be. But I have a feeling that if you tried to convince that same Dean that your low MCAT scores were the result of you being much more advanced than the test, it wouldn't get you anywhere.

The student tour guide said that the lectures were recorded and made available to students, and it was very helpful to her. Not sure about attendance.

There is info about the rotation match buried on the Touro website. It is a lottery for students who are doing well in classes. You can try to petition for a specific rotation if you have kids or own property, among other reasons, to get out of the lottery. If you aren't scoring 70% or above in classes they assign you to a rotation that will help you get caught up. All the rotation sites are listed on the website. Many in the Bay Area, some up north in Humboldt County, some in L.A. and Michigan.

I think the school is a good one and I am excited to start in August. I felt impressed by Touro at my interview. It seemed like as good a place as any to become a doctor. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Received an interview invite last week but I declined the interview. I hope someone on SDN gets my interview spot!!!! GL all!

As an update, I genuinely enjoyed my interview on March 8th. The weather was beautiful and I really liked the campus... although I usually like 'unique' things so I'm not surprised! Dr. Haight told us that our group was either one of the last in Phase 1 or the first of Phase 2- he wasn't sure just yet. I loved my visit though so I really hope to hear back favorably next week!! :xf:

Also, I think staying at the Marriott Courtyard really reduced my stress the day before and day of the interview. The shuttle was convenient, I got to meet about half of the other interviewees, and they did a late checkout for all of us so we could leave everything in our room and not worry about being packed up the morning of.

Good luck to those of you accepted, and be sure to look up the TOURO University California Class of 2014 page on Facebook, almost 1/3 of the class of 2014 are already members, so there is lots of valuable information on loans, the fafsa, the Vallejo area, There are also some current students posting information on housing and books....

Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions. I interview on 2/9 but I did not get a tour or meet any students at the school. 2/9 was the day after the president emeritus of the school died suddenly and the school was in a state of mourning. I was accepted and now I have to put up a deposit but I have several questions that I wonder if you could share you experiences with.

1. how were the facilities? i have heard from others that they are a bit lacking, but does it seem like a good learning environment?

2. Do you know the comlex step 1 pass rates?

3. do they podcast or otherwise record the lectures and is attendance mandatory?

4. Do you know how the rotation match works?

Thank you for your help. I really love the area and i could see myself being very happy there. However, there are a few questions of quality of the school that I am just ignorant off.

Thanks,

Richard

Hi Richard,
I'm a first year at Touro.
1. The facilities are not very aesthetically pleasing, but I find that they suffice. As this was an old naval base, there are many abandoned buildings in the area. Inside, the facilities are nice/modernized and sufficient.

2. Honestly, I do not know the pass rates off-hand. However, it may be interesting to see the trend for pass rates over the past 3 years. Systems-based learning was implemented almost 3 years ago.

3. The lectures have recently been recorded and posted through the school's site. Prior to this, a classmate would record and post them on a file sharing website.

4. Rotations are done in a lottery style. There are preferences for those who are married/have kids/hardships/etc. From my understanding, the 2nd years pretty much got their 1st or 2nd choices for rotations. If you're interested in going somewhere other than the bay for rotations, your chances are a little better because there are many people who want to stay in the area (my opinion).

Overall, I'm happy with Touro. I like my classmates, the faculty, and the environment. Even though Vallejo is not much to be desired, there is a lot of things to do in the area. Being on an island with few distractions is beneficial to studying, at least for me. You'll find your niche.

Best of luck to everyone!

I don't post here often but wanted to join the discussion - I was accepted for the 2014 class! I live aprox 20 mi from campus so location was the reason I put for applying to Touro-CA. I'll probably be joining the Facebook group soon.

Does anyone know when they will be done interviewing? When do they start taking people off the waitlist?

Does anyone know when they will be done interviewing? When do they start taking people off the waitlist?

I believe Dr. Haight said probably mid-late April is when the last interviews will be.

hi everyone. I know it's very late in the game but i read earlier in the thread (a few weeks ago) that it was too late to even apply with the secondary so I didn't do it. I received a notice today about my application being incomplete and took this as a request.

Does anyone know if there are still seats open or is this just for the sake of completing the application or for a waitlist interview?

I would call them right now but their office is closed.....I'm afraid by now it's too late to have enough time to consider my application and that they may just turn it down and i would pay the fee and done the application for nothing? Any input would help, thanks in advance!

hi everyone. I know it's very late in the game but i read earlier in the thread (a few weeks ago) that it was too late to even apply with the secondary so I didn't do it. I received a notice today about my application being incomplete and took this as a request. Does anyone know if there are still seats open or is this just for the sake of completing the application or for a waitlist interview? I would call them right now but their office is closed..... Any input would help, thanks in advance!

I just interviewed on 3/15, and at that time they said they were closing Phase I of interviews, during which they could potentially accept everyone that they interview. During Phase II, of the 40 applicants that they review every 2 weeks, only about 4-6 can be accepted due to the limited number of seats left. This can change though, since people with deposits can still withdraw and you never know how many of those admitted at each meeting actually take up the offer.

Dr Haight was really honest about the process and told us that people who interview later definitely have a significantly lower chance than those who interviewed earlier and may be waitlisted despite their qualifications, simply because there are less seats available. Knowing what I know now about the school and the faculty, I would send in the secondary anyway and hope for the best. Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
first acceptance! so excited! interviewed 3/15, notified by email 3/23 good luck to the rest still interviewing here/waiting to hear back!

I got a letter in the mail today saying that I qualified for an interview, but not this year. That seemed a little odd. However, they offered that I apply to the accelerated MPH program which would guarantee an interview for the following year. It also has a "very good record" for accepting students into the DO class for the following year.

Does anyone know how much merit there is to this? I mean I want an MPH anyway, and to some degree this seems like a good idea.

Thoughts?

I got a letter in the mail today saying that I qualified for an interview, but not this year. That seemed a little odd. However, they offered that I apply to the accelerated MPH program which would guarantee an interview for the following year. It also has a "very good record" for accepting students into the DO class for the following year.

Does anyone know how much merit there is to this? I mean I want an MPH anyway, and to some degree this seems like a good idea.

Thoughts?

It sounds like maybe they have filled the class or have enough scheduled interview to do so. Dr. Haight mentioned that they do not interview for waitlist positions unlike other schools so maybe they just send out those letters after there are no more spots.

As someone who spent this last year trying to get a school to accept me, I wouldn't want to spend another year doing it. If you are attracted to the MPH, go for it and take the interview next year. The accept a large number of those interviewed and the MPH will really give you a boost. I don't know how many specifically they accept from the MPH program, but I think they have like 600 interviews for 135 spots and most people who are accepted don't go. At my interview I think the admissions people claimed to give twice as many acceptances as there are spots (270). That's almost 50% before you even factor in the flare for calculated inaccuracy that I have noticed amongst all admissions people.

I was accepted to this school and investigated the MPH program after deciding to attend. The expense and the challenge of having to complete it on top of med school caused me to decide against it, but it did seem like a great program. It would be much better to have completed it before you begin the D.O. curriculum.

You may already know this but the MPH program is all night classes, so you could still work or do other things. The best question to be asking yourself is probably whether or not you want to go to Touro for D.O., if you'd like the MPH even if you didn't, and if you want to spend that much time in Vallejo. Good Luck to you.:rolleyes:

Thoughts?

I got the same letter today. I'm thinking that I just applied too late. Submitted secondary in January. A lot of schools offer a similar system with a master's degree. Some are degrees in public health and other in biomedical sciences. It seems like doing an accelerated master's degree would help your chances at that particular school, but it is hard to say if it will help you at other schools as well. I don't know about Touro's program, but since it's accelerated, I would imagine that it's pretty intense and may not end up making a huge difference in your GPA anyway.

I will be attending Vallejo this upcoming Fall. Does anyone have any suggestions on safe areas to live in, either Vallejo or nearby towns/cities? Preferably nice areas with good food and things to do while not being too far from campus.

After interviewing, I was notified that I got put on the high waitlist. I really want to go to Touro!! Do they take many people from the waitlist? Dean Haight said that chances of getting in are good for those on the high waitlist, but I'm not sure. I've written one letter already (before my interview) about being very serious about osteopathic medicine as well as moving to the San Francisco area... I'm planning on writing another letter with a few updates at the end of the month. If I don't get in from the waitlist though, I'm definitely interested in early acceptance for next year's class!! I think it's really awesome that they review all waitlisted individuals one last time for early admission in August.

After interviewing, I was notified that I got put on the high waitlist. I really want to go to Touro!!

good news for you from me! I am withdrawing my acceptance today so maybe you'll get my spot? it's a great school and I'm stoked I got in, but I'd really like to stay in SoCal and I have that opp at another school (Western) if I wait a year given a deferred acceptance........PS: SF rocks! you'll love it!

I was just accepted to the summer MPH program at Touro and am currently on the wait list for the DO program. It sounds like there are a few others in the same situation on the forum. I am also looking for a place to live near the university with other students. Any takers?
Good Luck to everyone else on the wait list.

I was just accepted to the summer MPH program at Touro and am currently on the wait list for the DO program. It sounds like there are a few others in the same situation on the forum. I am also looking for a place to live near the university with other students. Any takers?
Good Luck to everyone else on the wait list.

Coongratulations... be sure to drop by the Touro CA Class of 2014 page on Facebook, it was originally started for incoming DO students, but there are several MPH students as well as several pharmacy students or are members of the group, and there is lots of discussion going on about housing right now!

I interviewed on 2/4 and was notified that I was put on the high waitlist, too. Dr. Haight said that they won't start pulling people from the waitlist until June (most likely). He did, however, say that tomorrow is the last day that they are conducting interviews.

I interviewed on 2/4 and was notified that I was put on the high waitlist, too. Dr. Haight said that they won't start pulling people from the waitlist until June (most likely). He did, however, say that tomorrow is the last day that they are conducting interviews.

I'm on the high waitlist also. Do you think that since they are ending interviews earlier, our chances of getting off the waitlist are better? Also, does anyone know if the school has an accepted waitlist in addition to the regular waitlist?

Good luck to you guys!

Hello mastchef, could you clarify something for me? I'm waiting for an interview right now, and from what you said, that means that there will be no more interview from tomorrow (04/13/2010) on-ward? Which means I should be getting a rejection letter soon?

Hello mastchef, could you clarify something for me? I'm waiting for an interview right now, and from what you said, that means that there will be no more interview from tomorrow (04/13/2010) on-ward? Which means I should be getting a rejection letter soon?

Did they by any chance tell anyone from the last interview if there were still spots open or was everyone interviewing for the waitlist?

Hey I just received a letter from Touro inviting me to interview! I submitted my secondary on 3/30, so I was getting scared I had applied to late! Good luck to anyone else that is applying/interviewing late!

Hey I just received a letter from Touro inviting me to interview! I submitted my secondary on 3/30, so I was getting scared I had applied to late! Good luck to anyone else that is applying/interviewing late!

Good luck!!! What was the range of interview days they had you choose from, if you don't mind me asking? I'm trying to get an idea of when they will be done interviewing.

Good luck!!! What was the range of interview days they had you choose from, if you don't mind me asking? I'm trying to get an idea of when they will be done interviewing.

They offered me only Monday 5/24, or Tuesday 5/25. I took the 24th!

I'm not 100% sure, but from what I understood, the interview process ended last week. Don't give up hope, though!
However, Dr. Haight did say that there will be 2 more "late" interview days at the end of May, but that the main interview period ended last week.

I just recieved an interview invite for may 24th or 25th. I was originally schedule for april 11 I believe but could not make it and they said these two dates might open up. My question is are these interview spots for waitlists spots or admission??

So I applied in September and I just finally got notice that they are offering me an interview next month. Too little too late for them though, already gots plans!!!

So I applied in September and I just finally got notice that they are offering me an interview next month. Too little too late for them though, already gots plans!!!

Congrats on your plans anyway :laugh: I was complete in October and haven't heard a peep from Touro since... o well I suppose lol

Keep Your chin up DBDan, I will be turning down the offer obviously, but hopefully, they are keeping you in mind.

I just recieved an interview invite for may 24th or 25th. I was originally schedule for april 11 I believe but could not make it and they said these two dates might open up. My question is are these interview spots for waitlists spots or admission??

it is LIKELY you are interviewing for a spot. treat the interview as such.

may 24th and 25th will be the last interview dates offered. the second deposit was due on the 15th and will determine the number of spots available. after next week's interviews and depending on acceptances offered, those on the waitlist will be contacted for a spot.

I tried searching for the most recent match list with no success, anyone know where to find it or a link please? much appreciated, thanks

Did anyone who interviewed this week find out how full the class is? Anyone have any updates about the waitlist?

I got in!!! my first acceptance! interviewed 5/24, notified this morning

what are the out of state vs in state stats? Ridiculously harder to get into out of state? If I dont get into an MD program somewhere, then this is my top choice and Im wondering if I have a chance with a 30S MCAT, 2.9 science undergrad, 3.0 overall undergrad, and a 3.5 non-SMP masters at a highly ranked med school taking the same classes as 1st year med students. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Got a big ol packet today. No interview obviously but got offered a spot into their masters program stating that all I need to do is apply to get in. I'll be applying here again next year, oh well.

Got a big ol packet today. No interview obviously but got offered a spot into their masters program stating that all I need to do is apply to get in. I'll be applying here again next year, oh well.

Was it the accelerated MPH? I got one of those a while ago. It didn't sound like there was some sort of guarantee of acceptance into the masters program but I've heard the application process is nothing to worry about (application + interview).

Was it the accelerated MPH? I got one of those a while ago. It didn't sound like there was some sort of guarantee of acceptance into the masters program but I've heard the application process is nothing to worry about (application + interview).

Ya, not a guarantee, dad read the letter wrong when he told me about it. Its just saying all I need to do is apply, they are waiving the admission fee and LORs since they have them from the DO app. Not down to spend another 18k on a masters that doesn't have a guaranteed acceptance. Had I wanted to do that I'd have taken my seat at Western's MSMS with linkage.

Has anyone heard back that's waitlisted? Dr. H told me to call back in 2 weeks... not sure if anyone had the same response.

I e-mailed him yesterday and he said that they are going to start pulling people from the high waitlist starting tomorrow.

Has anyone from the waitlist been accepted yet?

Has anyone heard anything about the waitlist? They started taking people off from the waitlist by this time last year but it just seems like there hasn't been any movement yet this year :(

Has anyone from the waitlist been accepted yet?

The movement has begun. I just received an email from Mr. H saying that I was accepted. I but I will be declining because I've already accepted a seat TUN. Tough call, both schools look great.