TUCOM-CA Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi...this is a question for anyone who has already interviewed. How religious is the school? Did anyone get questions that related to the Judaic values of the school and adhering to them? I'm just studying interview questions, and was curious if they emphasize that at all. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi...this is a question for anyone who has already interviewed. How religious is the school? Did anyone get questions that related to the Judaic values of the school and adhering to them? I'm just studying interview questions, and was curious if they emphasize that at all. Thanks.
Most of the students who attend are not Jewish. There are Jewish activities that everyone is invited to, but not required. What's nice is that you get a ton of Jewish holidays off. To my knowledge there has never been any interview questions related to their Judaic values.

Members don't see this ad :)

Never brought up during my interview, and I haven't heard about it being brought up in any others.

Its been awhile since I posted. I got accepted for the COM Class of 2013! See everyone next year.

Last edited:
See you in the fall Oski05! Congrats! Goodluck to everyone waiting...it'll all pan out how it's supposed to.

Does anyone have any advice about how to pay for Touro?? I'm really interested in the school but not sure how to justify the high cost for the school. The location seems great...the instruction seems great...the students seem great! I'm just worried about accruing $180,000 worth of debt (which is what I saw the average debt was). Anyone have any input?

hey everyone,
i am within driving distance of this one. So you guys are all more than welcome to "couch-surf" if you need to!

Here is the basic run-down of the couch-surfing experience at my place:

just make sure you can take care of transportation. Let me know what day and time you will be arriving and leaving so I can adjust for your stay.

I live out in a rural area (but I am across from an elementary school--so its a nice neighborhood). I am about 30-45min away from Touro. I have a fireplace heater that keeps things toasty, cable TV (no remote, yes im oldschool like that), and a computer with wireless internet access.

You'd be set up in a studio in the back of my parent's house. So you definitely have privacy. I can sleep up in my parent's house while you are here. Also included is a bathroom with shower, toilet and sink. You can borrow my toothpaste, but not my toothbrush. I will have a bathing towel and soap available for you to use...just don't leave the soap bar with hair on it please. The toilet paper you borrow is yours to own.

Keep in mind though, I do not have a kitchen arena down there. So most of my food is stored up in the house (I keep it in a fridge located in the garage). If I were you, I would try to hit up a Denny's or something for a good hot meal. Because I'm sure it would be a lot better than anything I'd have to offer you...unless you like Cheerio's.

I don't expect any gifts or thank you notes in return. I'm completely fine without any of that fluffy stuff ;)

Send me a PM if interested as I normally don't check on this thread too much :oops:

OH I almost forgot. I have a really weird physics circuit problem that I'm trying to figure out and is sitting on my chalkboard. If you can solve it in less than five minutes, I'll give you a Clif bar or something ;)

Last edited:
Does anyone have any advice about how to pay for Touro?? I'm really interested in the school but not sure how to justify the high cost for the school. The location seems great...the instruction seems great...the students seem great! I'm just worried about accruing $180,000 worth of debt (which is what I saw the average debt was). Anyone have any input?

Unless you have a rich family member to ask, federal loans are the only way to go. The good thing about them is you can defer payments until after residency because banks know you can't make payments and live at the same time on a resident's pay. Sure, $180,000 is a lot of money but look at the pay of an attending physician. Also, some hospitals will pay off some of your loan if you give them x amount of years to their organization.

I own a home in Benicia that I am looking to rent out to students. 3bed/2bath. Due to boards quickly approaching, I don't think I'll have time to craigslist it and deal with advertising, so if you are interested pm me and I would be happy to provide you with all of the information.

I know it's a bit early, but I wanted to start planning my schedule. Does anyone know what the class schedule is like for a first year?

Guys;
If I get accepted I would like to know what to expect in terms of class schedules and books for the first semester. In particular I know that I need a primer on biochem and genetics. Any books to read from March until june that would help me?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this sounds very stupid! but, the application deadline is March 15, 2009. Is this for entering class Fall 2009? or Fall 2010?
I am taking the MCAT in May, thus late for the deadline.. but wondering if I applied in August, if it would be for entering class of 2011. ??

I know this sounds very stupid! but, the application deadline is March 15, 2009. Is this for entering class Fall 2009? or Fall 2010?
I am taking the MCAT in May, thus late for the deadline.. but wondering if I applied in August, if it would be for entering class of 2011. ??

The March 15, 2009 deadline is for entering the following fall (2009). So if you're planning to apply this August, you would be doing so for the entering class of Fall 2010 (graduating class of 2014). Good luck with the MCAT.

Thank you very much for your response!

i interviewed on march 3rd and got accepted on march 6th!! and just yesterday i got an acceptance into their MPH program...
so happy luv their program and close enough to sacramento ..to my folks
soo see u all in aug...and if any one of u doing the MPH program starting may see u there too!!

by the way i loved the interview format and DH is amazing at calming and preping u for the interview. the rest was up to me...believe him and believe in myself.

For anyone still waiting...good luck:)

Hello all! I have an interview coming up in a few weeks, and I was wondering where I could find some potential interview questions that I could study/prepare on?

This is my first med school interview, so any tips/advice are definitely appreciated.

Hello all! I have an interview coming up in a few weeks, and I was wondering where I could find some potential interview questions that I could study/prepare on?

This is my first med school interview, so any tips/advice are definitely appreciated.

Go to this link here (its part of the SDN website):

http://more.studentdoctor.net/schoollist.php?type=1

Scroll down to Touro University-Mare Island. Click on it and you'll pull up reviews from students that have interviewed there. Part of each review has student posting questions they were asked there. You'll have to click on the reviews one by one, but it is a great source of information.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your interview!

p.s. What day are your interviewing there?

Thanks a lot mrs smith, I really appreciate it!

My interview day is April 21st, and very excited for it.

Are you interviewing there yourself some time in the near future?

Thanks a lot mrs smith, I really appreciate it!

My interview day is April 21st, and very excited for it.

Are you interviewing there yourself some time in the near future?

My stuff is in, I'm "still being considered" for an interview there. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

And I'm sure it was a typo, but its mr smith ;) Don't worry, you're not the first to make that typo with me.

If I see any other info on interview questions for Touro, I will definitely pass them along to you. Good luck on the 21st! :luck:

Congrats Turkelton on getting an interview! There will be 3 people interviewing you: one doc, one faculty, and one student. It is a relaxed atmosphere, but you are interviewed with a few other students. Be ready to answer things about your app. Be honest and confident about your passions and activities and you will do fine. Best of luck, and let me know if you have any other questions.

And MrSmith, keep your head up. Touro seems different in that it interviews very small groups of students, so just bc you haven't gotten an interview yet, doesn't mean you won't get one.

Congrats Turkelton on getting an interview! There will be 3 people interviewing you: one doc, one faculty, and one student. It is a relaxed atmosphere, but you are interviewed with a few other students. Be ready to answer things about your app. Be honest and confident about your passions and activities and you will do fine. Best of luck, and let me know if you have any other questions.

And MrSmith, keep your head up. Touro seems different in that it interviews very small groups of students, so just bc you haven't gotten an interview yet, doesn't mean you won't get one.

Thanks for the support Doc. I'm keeping my eyes on the mailbox and praying for good news daily. I did hear from Ms Huckle that the committee will continue meeting into June, so still lots of time for good news to come my way. :)

Congrats ranju! See you in the fall! :)

see u this fall doc!

yeh to those who are preparing for the interviews....dont become unsettled by the interview format...i have heard ppl say that this format is ridiculous since they dont really get to know u ...but i had the other format where a panel interviews u and i felt that the tucom-ca group interview made an effort to actually know me and felt that they actually understood me more ..and through the questions they asked the group i was with ...i got to know the other students there too...and i didnt even see their file...they were nice ppl :)

the good thing about the tucom-ca is that they tell u in the morning when u arrive that if u get the interview, u dont have to worry about whether u are smart enough, well rounded enough...etc etc...coz that y u are there coz they know that u will make great doctors anywhere u get accepted... even if they ask u questions about ur grades .be confident...know that u are good enough...they are just seeing if u can communicate..which is not hard..keep repeating to urself when ur getting worried.."i am the top 10 % of their applicants( which is true if u got a spot for interview).. they like me stats...now...i just have to show them im a happy with who i am and where i am going"

sorry for the long message..but if this even helps one person out there..then i will have made a difference already lol:)

Last edited:
i just cancelled an interview, so good luck to everyone!!!

see u this fall doc!

yeh to those who are preparing for the interviews....dont become unsettled by the interview format...i have heard ppl say that this format is ridiculous since they dont really get to know u ...but i had the other format where a panel interviews u and i felt that the tucom-ca group interview made an effort to actually know me and felt that they actually understood me more ..and through the questions they asked the group i was with ...i got to know the other students there too...and i didnt even see their file...they were nice ppl :)

the good thing about the tucom-ca is that they tell u in the morning when u arrive that if u get the interview, u dont have to worry about whether u are smart enough, well rounded enough...etc etc...coz that y u are there coz they know that u will make great doctors anywhere u get accepted... even if they ask u questions about ur grades .be confident...know that u are good enough...they are just seeing if u can communicate..which is not hard..keep repeating to urself when ur getting worried.."i am the top 10 % of their applicants( which is true if u got a spot for interview).. they like me stats...now...i just have to show them im a happy with who i am and where i am going"

sorry for the long message..but if this even helps one person out there..then i will have made a difference already lol:)
Thanks for the advise! Its totally helpful -- I'm interviewing at Touro tomorrow and am really excited/nervous because it is my top choice school! :)

Hey TUCOM applicants

I'm a first-year DO living in a house on Mare Island with other TU students (another 1st year DO and a 2nd year DO). We would like to offer TU applicants the chance to stay at our house for their interviews. Not only would you be getting a free night's stay on Mare Island in a fully furnished room, but you would also be getting a good understanding of what life is like for TU students.

Message me if you are interested! Good luck 2013 applicants :luck:

I'm interviewing there on the 12th....are you still OK with interviewees staying over your place because I'm really interested to hear other students perspectives

High future class of 2013! I am a second year Touro student living in my house on Mare Island, one mile from Touro University. I will be renting out this place beginning July 1. It is a huge four bedroom. My first year here I didn't think I wanted to be 'isolated' on the island, but bought a house here over the summer. More students choose to live on the island than anywhere because it's so convenient. I have driven to school less than a dozen times all year, and my roomates love rolling out of bed five minutes before class. It's quiet and pretty, there is a running trail being constructed leading from my neighborhood around the adjacent wetlands. Wish I could stay but rotations are calling!
PM if you have an interested group.

Thanks for the advise! Its totally helpful -- I'm interviewing at Touro tomorrow and am really excited/nervous because it is my top choice school! :)

No problem :) hope ur interview went good and u get in!!

Hi Everyone, I'm new to SDN. Just wanted to ask the people who got their acceptances to the school what they felt made them stand out compared to the rest of the other candidates who were interviewing for the school that got them accepted during their interviewing process. Also any other accompanying advice would be appreciated!

Hi Everyone, I'm new to SDN. Just wanted to ask the people who got their acceptances to the school what they felt made them stand out compared to the rest of the other candidates who were interviewing for the school that got them accepted during their interviewing process. Also any other accompanying advice would be appreciated!

I interviewed and was accepted back in October, and from what I remember during the panel interview I was the only person smiling and being attentive when the other candidates were answering their questions. I think the interviewers like to see that you are not interested in throwing others under the bus, and that you enjoy teamwork. Also everyone will say don't be nervous, but if you are just try to turn it into positive energy. Good Luck!

Just be yourself and be confident. My best advice is for you to sit down the day before and reflect on the whole journey. You've worked hard to get an interview. Be proud of your experiences and your goals and let the interview panel know that. Of course you also want to enjoy listening to the amazing things everyone else has done, bc they will be interviewing with you. If you are nervous, just remember that everyone else in the room is too. Lastly....smile, smile, smile! You are interviewing for med school and should be so excited!

Something I think made a difference in my interview was making eye contact. Keep in mind that although one person asked the question, and you'll answer their question, there are two other people as well you are talking to. Make sure to look at all three of them while answering the question(s). Try not to waver while talking, it is really noticeable, and thought understandable given the situation, should be addressed if you know you do that. Just remember, you're having a conversation with them, just like you would with anyone else. Good luck! Be honest!

No problem :) hope ur interview went good and u get in!!

Thanks. It did and I did! I just got my acceptance in the mail today! :cool:

Can't wait to see everyone in August!!!!!!!!!

Hi I'm interviewing next week. Is there some last minute anyone can advise me on regarding preparing for the interview? It's too late in the application process, does anyone think there's still a chance one can get in or is this all wait-list from now on? I'm really nervous about the panel discussion. Any final tips?

Hi I'm interviewing next week. Is there some last minute anyone can advise me on regarding preparing for the interview? It's too late in the application process, does anyone think there's still a chance one can get in or is this all wait-list from now on? I'm really nervous about the panel discussion. Any final tips?

Look at some of the advice that was given in previous posts, and more than anything be yourself. Dr. Haight will tell you that you were chosen to interview for a reason, so be confident. The med student that walked us on our tour told us that he got in at the very end of the application cycle last year, so there is still a chance. The panel discussion can make you feel uncomfortable/nervous if you let it. If you try not to think competitively, and just go in there being you, you'll do just fine. Just listen to the other students responses and give everyone in the room your attention and respect. Best of luck!

And CONGRATS Shzgoalie!!! See you in the fall!

Look at some of the advice that was given in previous posts, and more than anything be yourself. Dr. Haight will tell you that you were chosen to interview for a reason, so be confident. The med student that walked us on our tour told us that he got in at the very end of the application cycle last year, so there is still a chance. The panel discussion can make you feel uncomfortable/nervous if you let it. If you try not to think competitively, and just go in there being you, you'll do just fine. Just listen to the other students responses and give everyone in the room your attention and respect. Best of luck!

And CONGRATS Shzgoalie!!! See you in the fall!

thanks for the tip. It's really helpful. Do you know if you can defer matriculation until 2010?

Does anyone happen to know a ball park figure of how many people might be on the waitlist for Touro-CA? I'm currently on the medium waitlist, and I'm curious as to wether there is 20 other people on the waitlist or 200?

Hi guys,

First of all, congratulations on your acceptance!

I am currently a 1st yr pharmacy student at Touro and live on the island in a house. I have 2 rooms available for rent and thought I would post here see if any new touro students were interested.

You get your own room and bathroom. Rent for one room is 650 and the other is 600. Utilities (water, electricity, garbage, maintenance) are included!! High speed internet access is included in the rent as well! It's literally a 2 minute drive to school.
I love living on the island as its one of the few safe places in vallejo. I'm sure you guys have heard about the major issues the city has with crime. You can start paying rent in August (usually the houses on the island require you to start paying in July).

I'm pretty easy going and usually busy studying (you guys are going to quite busy as well)....there are no major rules in the house. I'm just looking someone who is clean, quiet, cleans after themselves...does not have parties in the house. Females only and no pets please.

If interested, please email me asap (since we're gonna be done soon and I'm gonna be going home) with a short intro and your contact info/phone #.

Thanks. :)

Hi everyone! I was accepted and will be starting at Touro in the fall and am looking for roommates!

I found a house, right off of the bridge on a really cute street. Apparently there are a few students living on the street and current TUCOM students are occupying the house. 3 mi. from campus. Lease starts 8/1 might be able to neg. earlier move in if you need it. I am living in San Jose currently, so I dont want to spend too much money - as I will go back there frequently. (on the island is kinda expensive, but I still want to be close!)

The house is very nice and modern inside, 3bed/2ba, with 2 car garage and laundry inside. I am looking for someone to occupy the master bedroom (550) w/private bath, and someone else who will have their own room and share a bathroom with me (450). Let me know if you are interested!

There is a small yard and pets are allowed (I might bring my chocolate lab at times) - a pet is welcome with 200 extra deposit.

Hey guys,

I am a part of c/o 2013 and currently looking for a place to rent off the island (a one bedroom apt). I'm not from the SF area so I dont even know where to start looking. Also, when do you guys recommend I start setting up my federal loans and stuff? Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Hey guys, I just received an interview invite to TUCOM and my interview is on June 1st 9AM [They informed me the last day of interviewing was June 2nd]. I'm really grateful to get the opportunity to get an interview and from what I've read, they have really great rotations for the 3rd and 4th years.

My questions are in regards to why people choose this school over others [besides convience and California being a great state to be in]. I talked with an anesthesiologist at Kaiser who went there years back and he actually had trouble finding positive points about it. He informed me that the neighborhood is somewhat on the low end so being able to serve the community was technically one of the points, and he said one of the staff members there was of great help but nothing much else beyond that.

Also from what I've read on the forums, the interviews seemed to have all been done already and they either accept, reject or place on a waitlist [ranking high, medium, and low]. When I talked with the admissions person, she informed me that they were still trying to fill up spaces so they were just contacting people who qualified for the next phase. What exactly does that mean? (Waitlists are empied?) Anyways sorry for the long mail, if you have any suggestions on how to approach the interview or accomodations of stay prior to the interview they are most welcomed :love:. Thanks for the future replies.

I got the card and the invite at the same time, both this morning. It was funny to look through the mail and say, "Oh, good, I'm complete at Touro CA, then to keep looking through the mail and see, "Awesome, I got an invite at Touro CA!"

So yeah, in other words, the card writing guy and the invite writing guy aren't on the same page.

Yeah along with many other guys. They're not always on the same page!

Does anyone happen to know a ball park figure of how many people might be on the waitlist for Touro-CA? I'm currently on the medium waitlist, and I'm curious as to wether there is 20 other people on the waitlist or 200?

I think Dr. Haight mentioned that there's about 8-10 people per category and he said that he could almost guarantee that those on the medium wait-list can get in this year........hopefully you're going to be that one.

I think Dr. Haight mentioned that there's about 8-10 people per category and he said that he could almost guarantee that those on the medium wait-list can get in this year........hopefully you're going to be that one.

I interviewed 2 weeks ago, and just got in today. Sooooo, its still possible.

I sent in an email this morning giving up my seat. Hope someone on the waitlist here gets my spot!

Hi everyone! I was accepted and will be starting at Touro in the fall and am looking for roommates!

I found a house, right off of the bridge on a really cute street. Apparently there are a few students living on the street and current TUCOM students are occupying the house. 3 mi. from campus. Lease starts 8/1 might be able to neg. earlier move in if you need it. I am living in San Jose currently, so I dont want to spend too much money - as I will go back there frequently. (on the island is kinda expensive, but I still want to be close!)

The house is very nice and modern inside, 3bed/2ba, with 2 car garage and laundry inside. I am looking for someone to occupy the master bedroom (550) w/private bath, and someone else who will have their own room and share a bathroom with me (450). Let me know if you are interested!

There is a small yard and pets are allowed (I might bring my chocolate lab at times) - a pet is welcome with 200 extra deposit.

I'll be starting this fall at TUCOM as well. I'm looking for housing at the moment and your place sounds great. Let's get in touch.

During the interview day Dr.Haight mentioned that there a few things one needs to do before classes begin.The ones I remember are:

1. FAFSA
2. Get a physical
3. Immunizations

Are there other things I'm not listing? I'm currently on the waitlist but would like to be prepared for school if I get called off the waitlist.

Status
Not open for further replies.