Tricky situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainSpalding

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am hoping to find advice for a tricky, but probably fairly common situation. Here is the scenario: I am a third year student out on an external rotation but I have quickly learned that this is a place I would DEFINATELY not want to rank. So what do you do? I mean, I am studying a lot in my hours at home, as well as reading journal articles. But does anyone have any advice for me? What can I do to ensure that I get the most out of my month away from home? I know this might not seem like a huge deal, but it does kind of suck and I want to be productive. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, I am hoping to find advice for a tricky, but probably fairly common situation. Here is the scenario: I am a third year student out on an external rotation but I have quickly learned that this is a place I would DEFINATELY not want to rank. So what do you do? I mean, I am studying a lot in my hours at home, as well as reading journal articles. But does anyone have any advice for me? What can I do to ensure that I get the most out of my month away from home? I know this might not seem like a huge deal, but it does kind of suck and I want to be productive. Thanks!

I had a month very similar to that. just keep reading. pick a topic that you sre interested in and write a review paper about it. that should keep you busy researching for the month. Then you can publish it in the student journal.

What student journal? If you are talking about the one that Cali published, I think that is gone.

My feeling is keep working hard. A few students hated there first 3 weeks and end up ranking a program b/c once you get to know the place your comfort level increases. I agree keep studying.

Members don't see this ad :)

Work as hard as you can, learn as much as you can, and DON'T burn any bridges. It is a small world and a lot of these directors talk with each other. Use this as a preparation month and you'll look that much better on your next rotation.

What student journal? If you are talking about the one that Cali published, I think that is gone.

My feeling is keep working hard. A few students hated there first 3 weeks and end up ranking a program b/c once you get to know the place your comfort level increases. I agree keep studying.

The one that APMSA used to publish. Did they stop?

The one that APMSA used to publish. Did they stop?

I'm pretty sure that is gone. I like the new online journal for publication of case studies now. It is surprising called the Foot and Ankle Online Journal, www.faoj.org. They are working on working on securing an ISSN to be listed with PubMed, MedLine and other database internet programs through the National Library of Medicine. So it is a lot better than the old annual student research journal.

I agree with Jonwill, don't burn any bridges, but take the opportunity to visit other programs in the area with respect to the other program. This means ask if it's ok to visit other programs, but don't just leave. This happens a lot more than ppl realize, students leaving midway through the externship.

eh, you can write an article, but probably be better studying for part II or III or even interviews. It's just more practical, but if writing is a fun hobby for you, definitely get to it.

Me, i made powerpoint presentations (I still like Office, though Keynote is pretty good app, but Office for Mac is just a solid program) of different topics as a student. You'll never know when you might need them later and it was fun, like I was preparing for a lecture for other students. Where do you go to School? I heard Temple does a great job with 3/4 years returning to Temple with student grand rounds of different presentations. I thought this was an excellent idea cause these PPT you'll be making for the rest of your life. it's good practice.

good luck

I'm pretty sure that is gone. I like the new online journal for publication of case studies now. It is surprising called the Foot and Ankle Online Journal, www.faoj.org. They are working on working on securing an ISSN to be listed with PubMed, MedLine and other database internet programs through the National Library of Medicine. So it is a lot better than the old annual student research journal.

yeah, it used to be called the "Podiatry Internet Journal". Actually, I like the "thefootblog.org", this is the same guys who do the FAOJ, just with more news about the "foot world", basically they link all the "open access" journals on their site. FAOJ seems like a good web journal, but do you know if the journal is peer reviewed? Like "committee" peer reviewed? just wondering.

yeah, it used to be called the "Podiatry Internet Journal". Actually, I like the "thefootblog.org", this is the same guys who do the FAOJ, just with more news about the "foot world", basically they link all the "open access" journals on their site. FAOJ seems like a good web journal, but do you know if the journal is peer reviewed? Like "committee" peer reviewed? just wondering.

It is peer reviewed. They have a list of reviewers and editors on the web page. The journal is also looking for new reviewers if you want a job. :D

It is peer reviewed. They have a list of reviewers and editors on the web page. The journal is also looking for new reviewers if you want a job. :D

ha, thanks. need to publish my paper first, maybe get a couple more before I apply.