BOTH Tremor in Parkinson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kokokuota

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the way Lange explains Parkinson ds, is that this is the ds in direct basal ganglion pathway.

Lack of DA --> suppressed direct pathway --> suppressed motor cortex --> rigidity

Which all makes sense. However, how do you explain tremor? Isn't this counter intuitive if Dopamine plays a role in facilitating direct pathway which facilitates movement, such as tremor?

Also, with cerebellum problem you get intention tremor, but with Parkinson ds, you get resting tremor, how come?

Many thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

remember reading lack of dopamine causes excess acetylcholine causing the tremor, which is why anti-muscarinics benztropine and trihexylphenidyl are used in parkinson's
not sure why the tremors are different for both the diseases. Probably has to do b/c of different mechanisms of regulating movement in the basal ganglia and cerebellum

Reactions: 1 user
I remember coving this in a grad level neuroscience class I took years ago. Don’t recall the exact mechanism, but i remember t being super complex - probably out of scope for this exam.

IIRC, it has something to do with the DA signals suppressing some reflexive loops in the spine or something weird like that.